Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should we transition the non-forum part of the site or keep it as is?
Lift and Shift: keep VF as a Legacy site 42 63.64%
Transition: Move VF into a modern CMS 24 36.36%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-24, 09:21 AM  
kat_b

VF Transition

Concerning the non-forum part of VF we're trying to decide if it should be a lift and shift (no real change or update to VF--just focus on the forum), or if it should all transition into a newer content management system (CMS). The CMS would give more control over how content is searched, categorized, and maintained but also means more time and overhead.

If we go to a CMS, we need to figure out what is important to transition and if there are things we don't need anymore. Below is a listing of the sections/pages on the non-forum part of the site. Some could go into the CMS as a single page, but many may just not be needed. If you feel the focus should be on moving into a new CMS drop a note saying with your top items to transition and I'll create a list.
  1. Video/Workout Reviews
  2. Newest Reviews
  3. Getting Started
  4. Are Videos for You?
  5. Features
  6. The 100 Club
  7. Hall of Fame
  8. Favorites
  9. Beginner Favorites
  10. Personal Video Selector
  11. Success Stories
  12. Interviews
  13. New Release Calendar
  14. Press Room
  15. Pregnancy Notebook
  16. DVD Player Recommendations
  17. Workout Logs
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-24, 09:38 AM  
bubbles76

I like the idea of a lift and shift, since it would give the group more control over content. I think the most important pieces to keep are #1, #2, #7, and #9.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-24, 09:41 AM  
kat_b

Mho

I don't see a point in keeping DVD player reviews, or, sadly, the 100 club and press room so I'd say drop #16, #14 and #6

I do occasionally search through the video reviews and I'd like to be able to maybe add a few more ways to refine those searches (e.g. is the DVD/VHS workout heavy lifting, step, kickboxing, etc.).

I'd like to also see a new way to pull out VF Favorites (#8), see #2 revive outside of the forum, and keep the tips for getting started.

So I'd like to see #1, #2, #3, and #8 transition to a CMS.
Old 02-07-24, 09:48 AM  
Vantreesta

I never even knew all those sections existed!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-24, 10:03 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I was told I'm unable to vote in this poll

I would go for lift and shift but I know others want to keep several of the other items listed.

I'll support VF either way however.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-24, 10:16 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Sorry to be that wishy washy person but I support whatever the people who are kind enough to do this work behind the scenes find best and easiest for them.

The most important section to me is the video reviews. I didn't even know the other features existed!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-24, 10:36 AM  
kat_b

I think I created confusion with my tech speak:

Lift/Shift means we just move the site AS IS to a new host (wherever we put the forum). Just pick it up and move it to a new location... No updates/edits. Fast and easy.

Transition: Take the content and import it into a new system with new ways of managing the data.

Not sure why some can't vote, but if you comment on the thread I'll capture it for the group.
Old 02-07-24, 10:39 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I still vote lift and shift
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-24, 11:05 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Considering a lot of us are in perimenopause and menopause and long past menopause, the #15 Pregnancy Notebook could probably go!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-24, 11:33 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Sorry to be that wishy washy person but I support whatever the people who are kind enough to do this work behind the scenes find best and easiest for them.

The most important section to me is the video reviews. I didn't even know the other features existed!
I'm with Pat, whatever is easiest for those who have stepped up to take on this monumental task! Will "lifting and shifting" resolve the Server Busy issues? And fix the search function? Other than the forum, I use the reviews.

Thanks to all who are working behind the scenes.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vf future, vf hall of fame