Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-24, 11:31 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale K. View Post
I struggle with the same issue. I'm 64 and have worked out fairly consistently since my 30s. Listening to the 'experts' I should be focusing on weight training, but when I do I'm sore and have neck aches and headaches. In early December, after a prolonged neck ache, I decided to not lift weights and focus on rebounding (which I so enjoy) and see what muscle toning comes with that. Between the holidays and being sick/recovering, I'm just now getting back into the groove, rebounding daily while doing isometrics (some with I Jump Instead). No headache, no neck ache since early December, and I'm feeling really good. I'm going with it, at least for now!
Gale - me too. I turn 50 this year and have found that my body just doesn’t like me to use weights anymore, or it will hate me afterwards. It takes DAYS to recover. My primary cardio is walking and rebounding. And for strength I will do power yoga and the strenght—focused Yoga Burn workouts. It works for me, and I feel good mentally and physically with this approach. Even if I feel sore I never feel stiff, and I have very good body balance.

I did a 30 minute cardio and weights workout this morning and my bodyis already not happy. Tomorrow will be worse, and I wasn’t even using heavy weights.
Old 01-26-24, 11:38 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
At what point, if ever, did you change your workout type to better suit functional fitness as you aged?
I don't quite have A Favorite Thing (and I've been happy without one), but long ago I followed some more cautious trainers and already started moving in a direction like this: for example, I tend to avoid high impact, "jarring" motions, and faster lifting. In particular, my preferred weight training can be called "gentle" in that sense, but it's still (at least ideally) challenging and progressive. I've had injuries and pains from other things but not (so far) from what seems like properly executed movement.

(As I've posted some time ago, I could say that I've been actually been injured more from Nice Gentle Yoga than from intense intervals or heavy weights--but I don't use those words. I can do plow without injury, but if I haven't done it in a while, I need to reintroduce it gradually and not assume that I can simply resume what I was easily doing before. The first injury was from being unaware that I needed to be more gradual after a break; the second was from tempting fate. I haven't rejected yoga or even plow from this experience, and I'm not making an alarming video with some clickbaity title trying to scare people from yoga. Instead, I've learned to be cautious after a break and to adjust things as necessary.)

Although I don't have A Favorite Thing, I've found that weight training still influences me the most in a certain way. Because I've never had a full home gym for practical reasons, I've always gone to a gym to lift, and I find add other things easier once I'm actually there (and even later, at home or in other settings) as a complement to the lifting. (I've never practiced only one type of movement when I'm capable of more, and I tend to doubt any instructor who teaches doing only one thing and dismisses everything else as unnecessary or even harmful. )

I've thought of the strength sessions as a sort of metaphorical tent pole. Although the principle is different in a few ways, I can also think of the situation as a kind of "stone soup": once I've added a stone to the pot, I'll want to add more.

I've been recovering from multiple medical things for some time, and although I'm not restless or too impatient, I'm already anticipating returning to the gym within a few months.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Last edited by hch; 01-26-24 at 12:08 PM. Reason: substantial additions
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-24, 01:44 PM  
Kizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale K. View Post
I struggle with the same issue. I'm 64 and have worked out fairly consistently since my 30s. Listening to the 'experts' I should be focusing on weight training, but when I do I'm sore and have neck aches and headaches. In early December, after a prolonged neck ache, I decided to not lift weights and focus on rebounding (which I so enjoy) and see what muscle toning comes with that. Between the holidays and being sick/recovering, I'm just now getting back into the groove, rebounding daily while doing isometrics (some with I Jump Instead). No headache, no neck ache since early December, and I'm feeling really good. I'm going with it, at least for now!
I LOVE cardio and have always dreaded working with weights. Now that I have Osteoporosis, I've been working them in using Jessica Smiths DVD's, and the Firm's. Like you, I have aches and pains from working out with them. My neck/ shoulders and wrists. When I fussed about it to my Chiropractor, he told me that we are not all built to lift weights. Bummer.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-24, 07:29 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post

But as the year progressed, the intensity of my "workouts" has steadily decreased. And I'm loving it! I am enchanted with Jessica Smith's AAP and her workouts. I am not following any rotation; my goal is to do (and take notes on) every single one of her new workouts. So frequently, I'm doing a "strength" workout on consecutive days. I recognize that and I'll rotate between going heavy for a workout, or using much lighter weights, or some days - just bodyweight! I think it's been 3 months of doing that, and I am astonished as how good my body feels! So many of Jessica's AAP workouts focus on the intrinsic / accessory / stabilizer muscles and I'm getting a lot of benefit from that. My posture is better, my stamina is increased, I can get up and down from the floor better. (And hopefully many of you will never experience this: but I was able yesterday to do almost a full push-up to get myself off the MRI table.)

-Neita
Oh goodness, Neita, I'm so sorry to hear you have been going through this. I think I'll stop complaining about repeat mammograms and history of "dirty cysts". I hope you are doing much better now.

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-24, 08:12 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Walking is my new favorite (always Leslie!), but now I'm mostly doing two days a week of walking (sometimes some KCM boxing), two days of any kind of strength training (either with weights or yoga or bodyweight), and two days of fusion/barre (so Ellen or longer CS/Essentrics). Turning 50 and in the depths of perimenopause, I find I just can't recover like I used to.

I like to include CS/Essentrics a few times a week now after another workout. I finally turned back the intensity and length of workouts (30-45 mins max) and feel better keeping workouts just to those that I enjoy, keeping to workouts where I don't injure myself, and things I can recover from without being sore for days. Weght loss is nonexistent so I might as well enjoy myself.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-24, 08:22 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Neita- so sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope you are in recovery and feeling better. That is so scary. Sending you positive vibes. {{hugs}}
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-24, 07:39 AM  
donnamp

Neita - thanks for sharing your story - how difficult all of that must have been/continues to be - I wish you nothing but good health in the future!

Also, thank you for sharing how you are using Jessica's site - I have been struggling with how to best use it - I always feel I have to do a "program" for some reason! Which is silly b/c Jessica herself advocates for making adjustments and making things work for you. I like the way you are making use of it and enjoying the workouts! Enjoyment is really top priority for me now.

Jessica has a Plug & Play feature on her AAP - the "schedule" is similar to her many programs with 3 strength sessions recommended, 2 cardio (one interval one MISS) one day of fusion or LISS and then a recovery day. That may be a good way for me to explore her site without committing to a full program or plan.

Take care,

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-24, 09:43 AM  
Leonana

Thanks for sharing, Nieta. It’s encouraging to hear what worked for you during a difficult time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I LOVE cardio and have always dreaded working with weights. Now that I have Osteoporosis, I've been working them in using Jessica Smiths DVD's, and the Firm's. Like you, I have aches and pains from working out with them. My neck/ shoulders and wrists. When I fussed about it to my Chiropractor, he told me that we are not all built to lift weights. Bummer.
I get sore and stiff the day after a strength workout. I just thought I wasn’t in good shape. I noticed when I was sick and didn’t work out, I’d feel better, less sore and stiff. But I like strength training and know it’s important, so keep doing it.

I heard this somewhere, I can’t remember where, I think it was Dr. Mike on the Renaissance Periodization channel. He said that doing strength training will cause stiffness and soreness, because building muscle causes inflammation. So I took it that it isn’t odd and I’m building muscle. But for me it isn’t horribly painful, I don’t get headaches or neck pain. It’s more of an annoyance, and seems to disappear in between workouts.

I’ve lost two inches in height and was dreading my dexa scan last fall. The results were good, I have normal bone density. I also walk a lot, so I’m sticking with what I’m doing.
Old 01-28-24, 09:10 AM  
TinaT

I turned 59 in Dec. and I gotta say, workouts have been hit and miss this last year.... because of so many reason most of you have mentioned and then some. Menopause is my main enemy.

I love 4-limb aerobics. Always have. I've always relied on the Firm for that, but I've been slowly switching over to Jessica Smith. She has a gentler approach IMO. Her pace is a bit slower, which is what I need to be consistent.

Rebounding and Treadmill walking are my go to for pure cardio.

I sprinkle in Classical Stretch here and there.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-24, 01:48 PM  
gladgirl

Thank you, Neita, for telling us your experience. Thank you inspiring me regarding consistency. All the best to you...healing, recovery, life!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, favorite type of workout, variety