Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-21, 12:55 PM  
fatkat555

Adenomyosis?

Has anyone been diagnosed with this? If so, how did you treat it? I’ve just been diagnosed and a total hysterectomy is recommended. Thoughts and tips appreciated!

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 01:21 PM  
fanofladyvols

Fatkat that sounds painful so sorry to hear that. I always try to use surgery as a last resort with any condition I have but don't know your symptoms/history. (I also don't know where you are in your meno cycle so my question below may not be appropriate either.)

Is there any time/chance to get a second opinion for hormone or anti-inflammatory prescription treatment as an alternative?

I look forward to someone chiming in with other thoughts/help.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 02:37 PM  
fatkat555

I have a genetic blood clotting disorder which complicates the whole thing. I’m told I’ll need to be on hormones afterwards (increase blood clot and stroke risk) so if that’s the case, can I take hormones now to regulate my periods since they have same risk? We’re in preliminary phase and bloodwork has been drawn to determine if I’m almost through menopause (I’m close). A hematologist has to also be consulted (in the works to make appointment now). I was told three years ago I was almost in menopause. I will say I am truly suffering with this and would love to hear if others had a successful natural approach that might work.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 05-19-21, 03:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry to hear about this. have you gotten a second opinion?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 03:33 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
sorry to hear about this. have you gotten a second opinion?
I just got the diagnosis today. I think it’s pretty spot on. We’re discussing treatment options, but will know more where I stand as far as menopause when my blood work comes back next week.

Old 05-19-21, 03:43 PM  
BunnyHop

I don't have any advice about your specific diagnosis, but I had a hysterectomy a few years ago after struggling with a troublesome fibroid.

Life is definitely much better since then, but I do know that my recovery would have proceeded more smoothly if I hadn't been coping with so much care giving pressure. Definitely follow your doc's advice on how to recover, how much to limit your movements and general activities, etc. Do everything you can to create yourself about two months in which to simply heal. Insist that others step up, or lower their expectations of what they think you can or should do. It's reasonable.

In terms of basic life skills, I needed some help lacing on shoes right at first, so I mostly relied on slippers at home.

I will also say that my abdomen ached for ages after my surgery, but a simple dose of Tums made a lot of that pain simply go away. Makes me kinda angry that nobody suggested that some of my discomfort post surgery might have been digestive. If I hadn't preferred pepto bismol I might have figured it out for myself a lot sooner. Sorry for the TMI, but if even one person finds relief faster than they might have otherwise, it's worth it.

I hope you find some more knowledge and that relief comes easily.

My doctor realized that I'd been a bit anemic before the surgery, which explains at least some of my fatigue.
Old 05-19-21, 04:30 PM  
fatkat555

Thanks everyone for your insight! How is it that we know so little about menopause, female aging? I recognize that we all have different experiences, but like you said, BunnyHop, I think any issue or surgery is treated as if we’re supposed to bounce right back to “normal”.

Old 05-19-21, 05:01 PM  
BigBadBetty

My previous doctor mentioned that it was a possibility for me. This was years ago. He recommended a Mirena IUD. It worked for my symptoms (cramps and frequent periods). I am on my third IUD. Has your doctor talked about an IUD or embolization? I would exhaust the alternatives first. You may want to check out this article: https://www.womenshealthmag.com/heal...-side-effects/.

I would at least want to know why the alternatives would not work in your case. And there could be good reasons.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-21, 05:39 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
My previous doctor mentioned that it was a possibility for me. This was years ago. He recommended a Mirena IUD. It worked for my symptoms (cramps and frequent periods). I am on my third IUD. Has your doctor talked about an IUD or embolization? I would exhaust the alternatives first. You may want to check out this article: https://www.womenshealthmag.com/heal...-side-effects/.

I would at least want to know why the alternatives would not work in your case. And there could be good reasons.
Thank you! Great article!

Old 05-19-21, 08:15 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Thanks everyone for your insight! How is it that we know so little about menopause, female aging? I recognize that we all have different experiences, but like you said, BunnyHop, I think any issue or surgery is treated as if we’re supposed to bounce right back to “normal”.
Yeah. One of the things I had to cope with in my recovery is that my sister either could not or would not understand that her recovery experience after C-sections and mine after a hysterectomy were not at all the same. It was a struggle to cope with what seemed like resentment from her on top of every thing else.

Another issue too, is just time of life. As I get older I generally find it harder to recover, and I have to rebuild strength much, much more carefully than I used to. Any sort of anesthesia? I think twice and plan for a longer recovery time.

Tags
hysterectomy