Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-13, 07:35 PM  
jackie7

post hysterectomy

I am two weeks post surgery. When I get the OK from my doctor to exercise, does anyone have any advice. I have been walking half mile per day.

The boards I have been reading make it sound like the only exercises I can do will be low impact forever. The boards make it sound like any high impact or heavy lifting will cause organ prolapse! Help!
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 08:16 PM  
JP44

Don't read Hyster Sisters. They are ridiculous alarmists IMO. I had a subtotal abdominal hysterectomy 6 years ago. (Best decision ever!) Listen to your doctor and your body. Avoid direct ab work for 6 weeks. Don't lift more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks (if possible) Keep walking in the meantime.

Everyone is different but I was able to walk 3 miles in 45 min. 3 weeks post surgery so if feel like you can do more, try it & see how you do. I kept driving but used a small pillow across my abdominal incision to protect it from the seatbelt.

FWIW, I first started doing Cathe workouts after the 6 wk clearance & was able to do much harder workouts than before the surgery because I wasn't anemic & worried about passing huge clots (sorry if TMI). The problems I sometimes have w/ bladder leakage have to do w/ 2 pregnancies not my hysterectomy. No organ prolapse issues.

HTH.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 08:38 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and a Burch procedure to "shore up" my bladder and prevent bladder leakage almost 5 years ago. I was never told I couldn't go back to impact exercise. I walk a lot, do hi/lo aerobics, use my rebounder, and I have not had any problems at all. I am gearing up to do P90X soon. And my doc was quite conservative - no stairs for 3 weeks, no driving for 6 weeks, nothing other than gentle walking for 6 weeks. He said then I could gradually work my way back to my normal activities, which I did.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 06:10 AM  
jackie7

Thank you two so much for your responses. I was so freaked out to think that I could never do anything but low impact again. And then to be worried about organ prolapse as well! Thanks so much!
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 07:17 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

No driving for six weeks? Now that worries me. Thanks for posting this yogapam.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 02:41 PM  
wallace22

I had a full adominal hysterectomy June 2012. I received doctor's clearance to walk and do light (3 lb) upper body strength at my 2 week post op. I walked up to 2 miles 3 days a week. i just listened to my body.

I started driving short distances 5 days post op. I went back to work with a lifting restriction 2.5 weeks post op.
wallace22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 02:50 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I know my doc was very conservative, but I think the Burch procedure was part of the reason he limited me for so long.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 03:36 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

My abdominal hysterectomy was 30 years ago. I was allowed to walk for 6 weeks and no stairs for 3 weeks. After that it was all back to normal. No vacuuming and pushing a shopping cart was hard work that I probably shouldn't have done.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 11:33 PM  
videofit

I resumed normal workouts after about a month but went easy on the ab work, which I hated anyway. Then I gradually increased ab work to normal.

I drove a week afterward but it was a stick shift and I wound up opening up some stitches. If I'd had an automatic, it probably wouldn't have happened. With stick shift you lift both legs up which stresses the ab. With automatic, you always have one foot on the floor so less ab stress.
Old 04-04-13, 02:46 PM  
cfwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedygs View Post
No driving for six weeks? Now that worries me. Thanks for posting this yogapam.
As I understand it, the driving ban has to do with the after effects of the anesthesia. Some people don't quite shake the effects of the anesthesia for a few weeks after surgery. It's the same way they don't advise that you drive after taking antihistamines.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominal surgery, hysterectomy