Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-12, 06:19 PM  
StephE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalemma View Post
These days, I'm actually in better shape than I was right before my hysterectomy. Some of that is because I used to get sidelined for a good ten days out of every month due to horrendous menstrual cramps. Now, obviously, that's not an issue. I've lost about 20 pounds since my hysterectomy, and have had no problems with bending, lifting or anything like that. I find that I'm much more grateful for my body and the ability to move and bend. I don't take it quite as much for granted any more. And there's nothing like abdominal surgery to give you a whole new appreciation for just how much work your abs do.
Thanks, Emma. This is so true! I feel so very blessed to just have come out of this without cancer! It has made me much more thankful for my health and that I am able to exercise! And I know what you mean about getting sidelined with cramps! So glad I won't have to deal with that anymore! That's our "reward" for having to go through this surgery!

Exercise is THERAPY for all the challenges and trials life throws my way!!
StephE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 06:26 PM  
StephE

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I had an abdominal hysterectomy. My scar is only about 6 or 7 " across. I think after two weeks I started long walks outside and I drove. Then after four weeks I slowly went back to lighter weights but don't think I did any ab work for a couple of more weeks after that. It had a pretty easy recovery. After years of misery, I loved being uterus-free!
I had a pretty easy recovery too. I did deal with a lot of stuff the first couple of weeks, but after that it wasn't too bad (other than still having some nausea and losing my appetite). I'm feeling really good now! And I also love being uterus-free! LOL! I feel so much lighter!

Old 06-05-12, 06:28 PM  
mandie123

Took me about 6 wks,but although I had a total hysterectomy it was done endoscopically.
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 06:35 PM  
StephE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
The hysterectomy has not limited my physical activities in any way. I never missed my uterus or my periods. I ran my first marathon a few years after my surgery. I don’t run as long now (mostly because of my knees), but other than that I’m more active and stronger now at 63 than I’ve ever been. Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
I had an abdominal hysterectomy 5-1/2 years ago. I kept my cervix & ovaries--just had my uterus removed because of fibroids. My incision was 6-7". Recovery was SO MUCH EASIER THAN I EXPECTED!

I drove w/in a week using a small pillow to cushion my incision (My 2 kids had appts & places they needed to be). I started walking short distances as soon as I got home from the hospital. I didn't push it, but didn't believe all the negative hype on hystersisters.com either. Some of those women had their hysterectomies 15 years earlier & were 'just starting to feel a teeny bit better...' Whatever.

Don't do ab work until you're cleared by your doctor. Don't lift more than 10 lb until you're cleared. Don't go crazy working out until you're cleared. BUT, once you're cleared to do normal activities, do them.

I started working out w/ Cathe videos 2 months after my surgery and that was the first time I had ever used her workouts. Your fitness life is not over just because you had a hysterectomy. I lifted 80 lbs for squats w/ CLX, regularly match Cathe for weights in her workouts, do high impact cardio, etc.

I'm much fitter & energetic since I'm not bleeding insanely once a month. Life sans uterus is a MUCH happier place. Just listen to your body but get on w/ your life. Set goals & have fun!

Joan

Thanks ladies, so much! Wow, it sounds like y'all did great and continued on with your normal exercise routines! It makes me feel better to hear from real women that actually workout that have had no problems doing their usual exercise routine. I will gradually build back up to my normal routine and look forward to not having to worry about a future prolapse because of exercise! My doctor thinks prolapse issues have more to do with genetics (it's gonna happen anyway depending on your tissue strength and genetic history) than certain intense exercises. My mom did deal with prolapse later in life, but she never exercised, so I'm hoping just exercising will help keep that from happening to me or at least hold it off for longer!

Thanks again for sharing your stories!!

Old 06-05-12, 06:39 PM  
StephE

Oh... and for all you ladies that have been through a hysterectomy like me... can I just add.........

It is AWESOME to say BYE BYE for good to that yuck time of month!!! GOODBYE tampons and pads!!!!!!! SO LONG CRAMPS!!!!

LOL! I was actually in the store the other day and saw an endcap with tampons and pads and mocked them and laughed out loud and said "I'm done with YOU!"

Old 06-05-12, 10:15 PM  
Zmanzmom

Definitely ease into your routine! I didn't and ended up with a hip-to-hip hematoma that turned me into a sideshow at the doctor's office and seriously delayed my recovery. Despite that I'm as good as new now and can lift more than I did before my surgery. And as Steph notes, it's so AWESOME not having to deal with TOM anymore!
Zmanzmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominal surgery, hysterectomy