Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-11, 08:31 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

RENEETX, we had our hysts very close to the same time--I'm nearly 4 weeks post-op. I stopped reading internet stuff because it was making me overly anxious (ok, it was freaking me out). I'm just going to discuss exercise with my doc and take it from there. I'm not doing any exercise short of walking till my 6-week visit (she did clear me for light treadmill walking at 4 weeks). I do plan to incorporate light weights and bodyweight exercise when I get the green light from the doc. Good luck to us both!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 08:33 PM  
dlb

Hysterectomy

Six months ago - Also had bladder sling surgery at the same time. For me sling surgery has been more of a ongoing issue than the hysterectomy was. In the long run, I think I will be ok with it. Prolapse would have been a sure thing in my situation.

Debbie
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 08:43 PM  
LunaSea
VF Supporter

Another success story here. I had a hysterectomy (uterus only, but abdominal incision) 2 and a half years ago, and I'm doing more exercise now than ever.
I, too, stayed away from the internet because of all the horror stories. I also listened to my doctor, who got me walking right away (very short distance and very slowly, but building up each week). No lifting at all for 6 weeks. After that my doctor gave me the green light for anything - weights and all.

I did CLX about a year post surgery, with pretty heavy weights and was fine. I do a lot of core exercises (planks, bicycles, modified crunches, yoga), and my core has never been stronger. I have also worked on those pelvic floor muscles.

Caution: this is my experience, and my surgeon's advice. I share it to let you know that you don't need to be limited by horror stories on the internet. However, you should listen to your doctor - and your body!

Glad to hear you - and Gale - are doing so well, thus far. Wishing you continued good recovery!
LunaSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 08:44 PM  
videofit

I wish I had had mine much sooner. It all depends on your doctor.
Old 01-04-11, 09:00 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale K. View Post
I stopped reading internet stuff because it was making me overly anxious (ok, it was freaking me out). I'm just going to discuss exercise with my doc and take it from there.
Very sage advice Gale! There is a lot of unreliable info in the internet. I relied on and listened to my doctor's advice too, and it worked very well for me. I wish both you and RENEETX well!

dlb - I hope your issues resolve soon! I did have a couple of bladder infections post op and was afraid of them becoming chronic but that has resolved nicely.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 09:11 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Tracy - I think we posted at almost the same time! It's great to hear another success story!

videofit - In spite waiting too long, I hope your story has a good ending.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 12:14 AM  
sm4987

I had one last August due to huge fibroids. I haven't had any problems at all whatsoever. When I started back exercising, I did Kelly Coffey 30 minutes to fitness and followed Lauren. I worked at that and any low impact exercises that I could find for about a month or two (I wasn't into Leslie then......dang it! lol). Then I slowly started back with more intermediate/advanced exercise.

Good luck and listen to your body.
sm4987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 04:07 AM  
bearcatfan

I had mine almost 10 years ago, and so far so good. The doctors took everything (including my cervix) due to raging endo and adhesions. It was the culmination of nearly half a dozen open abdominal surgeries (talk about never having ab muscles again!). I am not on any HRT and never have been. I will turn 45 this year.

I mix it up, but personally I don't enjoy lots of high impact. I do like heavy weights *for me*, which is probably not nearly heavy enough for most people here. I think the absolutely heaviest I ever lifted was during P90X, and even then the limit was 30 lbs. for back.

My advice is to just get back into things slowly, and let your body heal. Add stuff in as you like and feel up to it. If it doesn't feel good, don't do it. And yes, stay off the Internet. I have a child with a chronic condition, and I have learned to never, ever Google
Old 01-05-11, 08:43 AM  
LAC

I had a total hysterectomy & oophorectomy 2.5 years ago. No replacement hormones for me either. I've never been a high impact kind of gal, nor do I lift heavy, but I don't have any restrictions and have had no problems.

When I was diagnosed with a life threatening illness six years ago, one of the first things my doctors said was to try to avoid doing a lot of internet research unless you want to scare yourself silly with statistics and horror stories that might not even be true - it's hard to know who is really posting some of that stuff!

Wishing the OP (and anyone else going through the process) an uncomplicated recovery
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 10:02 AM  
turbo1

I had a hysterectomy in 2005, no regrets, no issues. My dr told me to do whatever I felt like doing, just make certain I listened to my body and rest when needed. The day after I got home, I started walking, every day. The second week I started doing upper body work with light wts. It was a few weeks before I could do lower body wt work, the pressure from squatting was a bit too much, made my abs hurt. But I didn't mind because there were so many other things I could do. I had a speedy recovery (I stayed away from the internet) I think being fit prior to surgery is a big plus in a good recovery and listening to your body of course. To this day I"ve still not had any issues from the surgery. I"m 50 ys old, no meds

Tags
abdominal surgery, hysterectomy, surgery