Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-10, 11:52 AM  
JoJo22

Hysterectomy coming up - anyone have advise?

I have a total hysterectomy scheduled. The doctor is planning on doing it vaginally. Has anyone gone through this? How long before you can exercise and what kind of exercise? How long before you can lift weights, do kickboxing, or jumping type exercises? The doctor says you can exercise right away, but I think he is only referring to walking.

What should I expect as far as body changes after this procedure? The doctor said I won't notice anything as I'm in my 50's already. I would think removing all those body parts would have some possible affect on the body. I just picture eventually feeling well enough to do jumping jacks or jump rope and body parts droping down, as the uterus and all won't be there to hold everything in place.

Thanks in advance for any information you all wish to share. Nothing like someone who has been there and done that.
JoJo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 11:59 AM  
momtoaboyandgirl

Ten years ago, when I was 21 I had endometrial cancer and had a large part of my uterus removed. From what I recall it took about a month before I could do much more than walking. I would get cramping ( sorry if s TMI ) and bleeding if I exerted myself too much at first. I was up and walking ( albeit briefly) the next day.

Mostly I found I was tired intially, I didn't really have the energy for much. I was on meds that made me nauseated so the decrease in eating probably accounted for the low energy too.

But all in all it was about 4 weeks before things were back to normal exercise wise.
Good luck with this JoJo, our bodies are truly amazing and you'll be surprised how quickly you do recover.
momtoaboyandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 12:17 PM  
sbh

I had a full hysterectomy in 2004. My suggestion is that as soon as the doctor gives you the go ahead to exercise, work on your abs and back muscles first. Get them stronger so you don't injure your low back. While your recovering and not exercising, work on your diet so you can get all the rest you need without the weight gain. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 12:18 PM  
chemicalemma

I had an abdominal hysterectomy two years ago, and it took a lot out of me, maybe a little more than I was expecting. You'll be walking pretty much as soon as they can coax you out of the hospital bed, but it'll be slow at first. I slept a lot those first couple of weeks, and although I was under orders to walk, I was also under orders to go slow and not do any "heavy lifting" (by which he meant anything over 5 pounds!) for six weeks. By about week four, I was walking faster and over longer distances, but if I overdid it a little, I'd have a sudden energy crash. That kept me from overdoing it.

Because I had an abdominal incision, it took me quite a bit longer to get up to speed. I started working out with Leslie as soon as my doctor gave me the all-clear at six weeks, and started seeing a personal trainer to help rehab my abdominal muscles at about eight weeks. Even then, I'd say it was a good 12 weeks before my energy levels were back where they were prior to surgery.

The most important thing is to listen to your body. Don't walk faster than it wants to walk, sleep when it's telling you to sleep (and don't be surprised if that's a lot, especially initially), and absolutely do not push yourself until your doctor says you're healed.
Old 04-05-10, 03:43 PM  
ADoll

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 2 years ago-removed my uterus but kept my ovaries. They had me walking slowly the next day but it was tiring. I know that I was on medical leave from work for 8 weeks and I still wasn't myself yet when I did go back (I work in the NICU so I do walk alot). My doctor told me not to lift anything heavy.

I had to slowly get back to exercising probably after 2-3 months. Started out walking around the house, then the treadmill, followed by my exercise tapes.

Go to http://www.hystersisters.com, there is tons of info and advise there.

Arleen
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 05:59 PM  
videofit

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and by three weeks I was going stir crazy and wanted to go back to work. I was walking a mile after two weeks. By four weeks I was doing my Firm workouts using slightly lighter weights than normal to be safe. The surgery was a lot easier than I thought it would be with hardly any pain at all. The first week is always the worst with any type of surgery but after two weeks you should be 80% back.

The way to have a quicker recovery, in my opinion, is to be in really top shape before your surgery, especially your core muscles. I was motivated to eat really healthfully without cutting calories -- nutritionally dense foods, plenty of vitamins before and after.

If you're getting your ovaries removed, ask your doctor about estradiol patches and progesterone cream. It will make your life much more pleasant.
Old 04-05-10, 08:31 PM  
RachelleS

hystersisters is a wonderful site - or it was five years ago. Course, I found it after my surgery which is probably the best. It was a lifesaver to me though as I was having such bad back pain, my nurse practioner said to see a PT - went to hystersisters and found out it was quite common - something to do with your feet being in stirrups during surgery. It went away. I had been doing Cathe for a year and half right up until a month before surgery working out 6 days a week for 60 - 70 minutes a night - so I was in good condition. I had a partial hysterectomy laproscopically at age 34 and it knocked me on my butt - but I also got an infection from the catheter - that nurse episode is another story. What I wasn't prepared for was a stomach that was 4" bigger (no weight gain) for months afterwards where I couldn't have anything tight around it - I had to buy elastic waist pants. I had planned on walking right after surgery but wasn't back to exercise until 4-6 months. BUT everyone is different - and that is why hystersisters is a great place to visit. There are a lot of people that are up and about right after. A friend of a friend went dancing a week after surgery. Don't push yourself though - I had a lot of scar tissue that had to be removed a few years later so it's not worth it. You think you are okay and then you realize, oops, I shouldn't have done that. Take your time, recoup for as long as you can and listen to your body. It will let you know. It was the best thing I could have ever done! I knew I was eventally going to have to have one but didn't think it would be until my 40's (my mom was 45 when she had hers). They wanted it done in a month's time but I held out two months as I was a pt employee at the time and didn't have sick leave so I waited until right before Christmas vacation - everyone I talked to said "I wish I would have done it sooner" so I knew I wanted to be one that said "I'm so glad I did it when I did". And I was okay with it from then on.

Best of luck!!! Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 05:49 AM  
JP44

I had a partial hysterectomy 3-1/2 years ago (abdominal incision, just my uterus was removed). ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I EVER DID FOR MYSELF!!

Anyway, my recovery was actually much easier than I expected. I was off pain medicine other than OTC stuff w/in 2 days, walking a mile w/in a week and doing 45 min/3 mile walks in 3 weeks.

I was not trying to be superwoman at all--I just did what my body could handle.

I didn't do any ab work or lift over 10 lbs for 6 weeks (per the usual Dr. guidelines) and drove w/ a small soft pillow over my abdomen for weeks. BTW, I drove w/in a week too.

ITA w/ the above poster that the better shape you are in before surgery, the more it helps your recovery. I really worked my core muscles, exercised consistently and basically regarded my upcoming surgery as an athletic competition that I needed to train for.

While everyone has a different experience, I would caution about the hystersister site as it has a LOT of horror stories. It was not as helpful for me as some books I read.

Good luck & HTH!

Joan (JP44)
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 06:12 AM  
bearcatfan

hystersisters is a great resource, although you have to take it with a grain of salt because there are some horror stories on there, too. The best preparation you can do is mental and emotional.

My hyst was abdominal because of tons of adhesions, and they took out the whole shooting match (it was the last of several surgeries). One of my main questions for the surgeon was what happens to all my other organs .... he said they just kind of fill in and nothing falls out. It's a legitimate question!

But like another poster said: Best thing I ever did!
Old 04-06-10, 06:47 AM  
JoJo22

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Its good to know that life doesn't end after hysterectomy. I have had several people tell me that it is the best thing that ever happened to them. Plus knowing that I eventually will be able to exercise again is good news. I can't wait to check out the Hystersisters website. I'm actually excited and ready to get this thing done so I can get back to exercising. By the way, it will be a DaVinci (spelling?) robotic procedure. Never ever dreamed I would have a robot operating on me. LOL Again, thanks for all the great information.
JoJo22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominal surgery, hysterectomy