Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-04, 08:59 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I forgot to mention...

The fibroid did affect my workouts, even before it got very large. Crunches were uncomfortable, and I found it difficult to feel my muscles working due to the pressure in my abdomen.

Once the fibroid got very large, simply stabilizing my core for strength training became first uncomfortable and then painful. If you get to this point, it's a sign that something is seriously wrong!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 09:19 PM  
warriorprincess

I have a lot of fibroids, but the only one that I ever felt is next to my right ovary, a couple of times causing debilitating pain. My periods were so heavy on the first day that I couldn't go more than an hour or so without changing tampons, but was light by day 2 and nonexistent on day 3. On that first day I was totally exhausted. I started using progesterone cream, and my periods went back to normal. After going on a special diet and nutrition program which we can't discuss I never feel it anymore.

The doctor wanted to remove the ovary and the cyst attached to it. I thought that was rather drastic, and I spent most of this year obsessing on getting this problem under control, and I have. And I've changed doctors. I think if you have enough discipline and education you can resolve these problems without surgery (depending on how bad they've gotten). Doctors are much to quick to just remove body parts.

And if you can make it to menopause, they'll go away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 09:51 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess
I think if you have enough discipline and education you can resolve these problems without surgery (depending on how bad they've gotten).
That's why I wish I had taken care of my fibroid when I first started noticing symptoms! Often, smaller fibroids can be treated successfully without resorting to major surgery. When the fibroid is really big, non-surgical approaches are less likely to work.

There may be additional options now (I had my surgery four years ago).

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 06:13 AM  
warriorprincess

I didn't tell my whole story, and I think I should in case others have this problem. I actually had a 2" dermoid cyst attached to the ovary last March, which totally went away in 6 months following this regimen. The doctors insisted I take an MRI since they didn't believe the ultrasound. They were certain this wasn't possible.

The fibroids haven't gone away, but I'm convinced they will given enough time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 07:35 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen
That's why I wish I had taken care of my fibroid when I first started noticing symptoms! Often, smaller fibroids can be treated successfully without resorting to major surgery. When the fibroid is really big, non-surgical approaches are less likely to work.

There may be additional options now (I had my surgery four years ago).
I wish I had moved earlier on my own fibroid situation. My doc was so good about being patient with me...for years. Even though the fibroid was huge by the time I relented she was able to get it with a D&C -- great doc. But I regret the years I went through such pain and discomfort, and I was just delaying things.

And yes, sometimes the condiditon affected my workouts. Some mornings I couldn't get out of bed.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominal surgery, fibroids, hysterectomy