Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Bargain Watch

Old 11-26-21, 10:27 AM  
DD546

Bowflex Adjustable Kettlebell $119

I saw the Bowflex 846 Adjustable kettlebell on sale for $119 at Amazon, Best Buy, and Academy Sports. I think it's usually around $150. It gets good reviews. It adjusts from 8-40 pounds. I have the Bowflex Select Tech Dumbells, and they're hard to beat, particularly if you don't have a lot of room.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-21, 11:03 AM  
fanofladyvols

That's a great price!

Just a quick review...

PROS:
This was my first year of kettlebells and my first kettlebell. I have had mine since last Christmas and use it weekly. It still looks brand new.

It works great for two handed swings, carries, deadlift variations.

The weight adjustment is quick and I rarely have to pause a DVD to get it to what I want. It also won't move if you don't have it fully changed so I haven't run into any issue with plates not attaching, etc.

It is very compact and takes up little space.

Cons:
The handle is somewhat squared and smooth. The base is awkwardly large, weight gravity is not as centered as a traditional kettlebell and hard to navigate with some moves like the snatch, Turkish get up, one arm swings and cleans. I have small hands and the top of the bell with the weight adjustment knob is super uncomfortable across my wrist and back of my hand for those moves. Plus, call me crazy but a solid bell over my head doesn't scare me like a bell with weight attached.

The weight increments also are well ... odd.
They are 8, 12, 20,25,35,40. That jump to 35 often frustrates me. I never use it for below the 20# range.

Hope this helps someone.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-21, 11:36 AM  
DD546

Thank you for your detailed review and assessment. It's very helpful. Some of the cons you mentioned were also noted by other reviewers. I think for my purposes, the pros outweigh the cons, particularly at this price point. I ordered from Amazon, so if I end up not liking it, I can always return it. I think it will be a good addition to my home gym. Thank you again for the review.
Old 11-27-21, 11:11 AM  
fanofladyvols

I think you're getting a great deal! I hope you enjoy it.

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 11-27-21, 12:01 PM  
DD546

Thanks again. I'm new to kettlebell. Do you have any DVD recommendations? I have the Sara Lurie Iron Yoga set and thought I'd start with those.
Old 11-27-21, 12:07 PM  
DD546

Pop not Iron Yoga! Iron Core Kettlebell. Must have Yoga on the brain today. Must mean I should do a yoga practice today.
Old 11-27-21, 12:29 PM  
fanofladyvols

Ohhh, you may be sorry you asked...

I used several but stuck with Lauren Brooks. I highly recommend Lauren Brooks and Marcus Martinez. Lauren has several excellent tutorials on YouTube. Marcus has some wonderful beginning routines on YouTube. I can come back and link if you want? They're pretty easy to find.

Lauren Brooks is having an excellent sale on her DVDs.

You can also register for Lauren's free challenges. She offers wonderful 7-21 day free challenges. I highly recommend the focus on one kettlebell move like that for the fine tuning and repetition..it helps !

I love going through books, too. Really enjoyed Lauren's book and Tracy Reifkind The swing. I followed the swing tutorial in Tracy's book. She breaks down the hinge move really well. It might be in your library?

One thing I noticed is lots of bad form with kettlebells on YouTube and other social media. It's shocking really.

I'm by no means an expert but I'm very enthusiastic, haha. I would love to go to a clinic somewhere and learn in person. Maybe one day!

Old 11-27-21, 06:43 PM  
DD546

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been eyeing the Lauren Brooks sale. It seems like the favorite (and the only one described as beginner) Shut Up and Train, is sold out. Can you recommend another one that might be good starting out? I'll check out the You Tube videos, but I prefer DVDs.
Old 11-27-21, 07:34 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Mary has Shut Up and Train, 6 ins tock at this moment and on her current sale sale for $39.99.
https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Lau...-Set-p/758.htm

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-21, 11:17 AM  
fanofladyvols

Kettlebell body has excellent segments.. and are easily done at beginner level. My daughter reaches for this one . It has a great glute focused workout segment.

Sexy strength has my favorite warmup that I do from memory. I like the full workout too and it can be done at beginner level.

Both DVDs have chaptered workout segments ~12-15 minutes. (I can be more specific if you need..just going from memory)

Incinerator and Revelation should be done after learning awhile IMHO but also have chaptered workout segments.

With kettlebell you can get alot done and get a great workout in 15 minutes. Before I did kettlebell I would never believe you could feel like you did a full workout in 15 minutes..but you really can. It's surprising how time efficient it can be. I have a core focused routine I do from memory (basically doing my favorites) that is all standing, done in 5 minutes and my abs are worked nicely.

Tags
adjustable kettlebells, bowflex, kettlebells, select tech, selecttech