Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-14, 08:20 PM  
jackie7

I had an abdominal hysterectomy with a vertical cut about 18 months ago. I could drive after one week. I wasn't taking any pain killers and my gynecologist's only request before I drove was that I slammed on the break to make sure there was no pain. I started walking a few days after surgery. That seemed to be the easiest exercise that didn't irritate anything. I was not allowed to lift weights for six weeks.

Good luck with your surgery! If I can be of any help please let me know.
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14, 09:52 PM  
deineira

First of all, I hope your surgery goes smoothly an I wish you a speedy recovery.

I had an abdominal surgery with a full incision four years ago, and I was home after four days in the hospital. My doctor encouraged me to walk from the get go. She had me walking the halls in the hospital the second day. It was uncomfortable for sure, but I made it. I started off just walking a few blocks and added on as I felt stronger. I walked every day for four weeks until I went back to work. I started regular exercise again after 6 weeks. After 8 weeks I started an Insanity rotation. I wouldn't recommend that, but I think exercising lightly helped my recovery.

I couldn't do anything strenuous (like lifting more than 5 pounds) until I was cleared for that, which was about 4 weeks after I got home. No ab work until week 5 or 6 I think.

I can't speak to the treadmill per se, but walking outside was a lifesaver for me. I had my surgery in the winter time, but I would just bundle up and go.

Best of luck to you
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14, 10:34 PM  
bfit

I also recommend an upright stationary bike. I used one when I had an injury in my low back/pelvis, and the midsection of my body wasn't moving around too much at all. When I walked it hurt, but biking was pain free. I wonder if you could do Margaret Richard's Getting Better workout? It's all sitting in a chair or lying on the floor.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 12:47 AM  
sm4987

I've had 2 c sections, 1 hernia repair and 3 years ago a hysterectomy. My doctors were also very conservative with my recovery. I did gentle walking when I started back to "attempting" to work out. I walked with Leslie Sansone without bringing my knees high and really did her simple movements. No weighted arms helped to and I think it was Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 minutes to fitness where she did the step workout and the HIIT training workout that I did. I followed Lauren who used no step.
Old 08-26-14, 06:54 AM  
JENILU

Thankyou all so much for your thoughts and advice and personal stories!! I promise to get back on later with responses, I just just had to run by and say how much the support and responses mean to me! Thankyou!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 10:18 PM  
JENILU

I am so sorry it took me so long to get back. Thankyou all for your comments.
I don't know how some of you jumped back into your workouts so quickly! Thas amazing!! I can't do those kind of workouts pre-surgery, lol!!! As for the outdoor walking, I was doing it for a while, But the thick hot air, and many hills just got to where they were making me sick instead of it being enjoyable, and it just got to where it wasn't safe for me to go doing it by myself anymore with how I am right now. There is noone close by that could come get me, even though I do carry my cell phone. - so I know its not an option post surgery. I think I will stick to the treadmill idea because I can do it 5 minutes at a time starting out as I am able. I found some things on youtube that I could do post surgery as well. I am having to go pretty gentle right now, but adding in all the full core work that I can, and trying to make sure i have some muscle "stored up" for during recovery. As long as i can make a plan of action (such as this), I "think" I will be ableto keep myself under control.
I regular indoor bike might be ok, but if I have to purchase something anyway, I'd rather have a treadmill. I really do feel a pull on my abs when I play around with his elyptical bike. (I hate the stand up part. It feels aweful to me)

Anyway, thankyou all for your thoughts and your stories- and please continue to share what has worked for you in getting your strength back, etc.. any ideas, online videos, physical therapy printouts, etc..
{{HUGS}}

PS: I've also been looking for a physical therapy sheet I could print off with exercises for cervical degenrative disk disease that could strengthen it without making it worse? (nevermind, lol, I'm hijacking my own thread)

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominal surgery, hysterectomy