Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-21, 06:20 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Moto G has been rated very high for value phone. I paid $150 last year for a previous year model (new).

I use AT&T prepaid. You pay what you use.
https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans/
Yes! I think the Moto (Motorola) lineup provides great value. They do not spend a lot of money marketing the US. Instead of butting heads with Apple and Samsung they send the bulk of their product to India and other countries. Their products provide "good bones" first and add on super camera and fluff stuff with more dollars.

You can buy a phone from Best Buy or online that is "unlocked" (GSM or CDMA)and carry it to AT&T or anywhere. Before Tracfone I used AT&T prepaid.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 08:07 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
Things you might want to know:
To keep my data usage low I:

1. I keep my mobile data turned off at all times. If I am out and need to google something or send an email I turn the data on. I mostly use mobile data for GPS which uses very little data. You can monitor your monthly usage on your phone.
2. I put my phone on wifi if I want to use data when I am at home - this doesn't use up any of your data allotment.
2. I have my email set to only update when I toggle it. And I try to toggle it only when I am on wifi (I usually read all my email on my ipad at home.)
3. I don't use other people's wifi for security reasons.
4. I also text more often now that I have a smartphone.

You might also want to look into Verizon's new service called Visible.
Thank you for these tips!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 08:57 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, I'm following b/c as (I think) you know, I still don't have a smartphone either! I've been able to skate by with my own flip phone plus ipod touch (which gets wifi and allows me to imessage other apple users), but I think I'm not going to be able to hold out much longer either.

I hear that Target has very basic phone plans, although they may require a monthly fee.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 06:56 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Sherry, I'm following b/c as (I think) you know, I still don't have a smartphone either! I've been able to skate by with my own flip phone plus ipod touch (which gets wifi and allows me to imessage other apple users), but I think I'm not going to be able to hold out much longer either.

I hear that Target has very basic phone plans, although they may require a monthly fee.
Beth, thanks! I thought I was the only dinosaur I use a 10 inch kindle fire at home for my internet if I'm not at one of our desktop computers. I just find that most people I know communicate through text and not email, so that is why I was thinking of finally upgrading.

I definitely do not want to get locked into a contract. I will look into all the suggestions that were posted. Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 07:30 AM  
buffmama

For buffboy's first phone we used Red Pocket. It was about $100 a year for the sim card and a basic plan (very little data/texts). There are other plans out there that are similar. Note: It's cheaper to get the cards off ebay/amazon than from their website (and they are the seller).
Old 06-08-21, 07:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My BIL bought a trackphone on QVC. We can't text him because he gets charged .25 per text. We still have to call the landline because he gets charged per call. It was a mistake, as far as we're concerned.

For our first smart phones I bought basic Motorola models. Moto G. You can get 16 gb of data, but 32 gb is better. I'm sure you don't need 64 gb or higher. I downloaded the manual online and we muddled through it well enough.

If you buy an "unlocked" phone you pay what seems like more for the initial investment of the phone, but then all you have to pay afterward is your monthly usage bill. If you buy the phone and plan at the same time you'll be paying off the phone plus your usage fees. You can get good deals on unlocked phones at Walmart. I ordered ours through walmart.com. The cheap phones they have hanging on the shelves are more suited for kids. I looked into the "free phone" with data plan and let's face it, nothing is free.

I promise that once you have unlimited text you will use it more than you thought you would. Having unlimited text opened up a whole new world to me in staying in contact with family and friends who text only. That's just the way it is now.

As far as the data plan, I stayed with Verizon. I got the lowest plan available - 2 gb per month - and it costs the same per month for both of us as our flip phones did. In the event you get close to using your monthly data Verizon sends you an alert. Others gave you tips on saving data so I won't go into that. My only regret is clinging to the flip phone for so long.

Buzzwords to watch out for are "stylus" and "play." Play is for gamers and stylus has a pen thing. You won't need those.

Hope that all made sense, I haven't had my tea yet.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 08:08 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Beth, thanks! I thought I was the only dinosaur I use a 10 inch kindle fire at home for my internet if I'm not at one of our desktop computers. I just find that most people I know communicate through text and not email, so that is why I was thinking of finally upgrading.
Sherry, even though I can text from my ipod, I still prefer using email (or Facebook Messenger, which I can do from my laptop) because I like to be able to use a full keyboard. I find it annoying to try to text anything longer/more significant (like talking to my sisters about our dad's health issues) via text, though I have done it by necessity. I do like being able to send quick texts to my nieces and nephews, most of whom aren't on Facebook and don't check their email regularly.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 08:27 AM  
sherry7899

Beth, I am going to hate the tiny keyboard. I know that already.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 09:53 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=buffmama;2928502]For buffboy's first phone we used Red Pocket.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 07:57 PM  
horsemom2

I am very happy with cheap tracfone smartphones that come bundled with a year of service and a bucket of voice, text and data for less than a year of service with those buckets would cost. I have 3 different types for myself, son and husband, each of which ranged in price from $50 to $100. Personally, I prefer the deals at HSN to QVC or Amazon.

Near the end of the year, I can buy another cheap phone with the year of service deal and buckets or buy one month of voice online and supersize a year of service for around $65.
older unactivated phones can still function as mini tablets.

a good place to start is https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...%20and%20Deals

my favorite has been similar to https://www.hsn.com/products/motorol...tdata/9392373#
because of its amazing battery/

(ETA: our tracfone smartphones are all on verizon)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, cell phone plans, iphone, mobile devices, off topic, off-topic, smart phones