Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-10, 01:10 PM  
Megan
VF Supporter

I'd agree that this should be no problem as long as you're aware that your system is becoming specialized in one type of activity. So, you become very good at stepping, but that doesn't mean you'll be good at any other cardio activity. I'm not sure what the implications of this are in terms of overrall health and fitness, except that I do think diversifying your fitness regimen is good.

I learned this from a book called <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Total-Body-Transformation-Personal-Prescription/dp/078688732X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273860176&sr=8-1">Total Body Transformation</a> by Steve Ilg (which had a very profound effect on me in a number of unexpected ways, but I digress....). He was a super fit guy, really into mountain biking and rock clibming and other strenuous activities. He thought that since he was so fit, and was so great at other acitivities, he could beat a female (less outwardly fit) swimmer in a swimming race. He lost.

So I guess it depends on what you want to get out of your fitness program. Just get your heart working and burn some calories? Then one type of cardio activity should be fine. But to improve your overall cardio fitness I think it's good to practice different activities to some extent.

You could also think of this in the same way that you would think of different types strength training. There are different types of strength activities you could focus on - heavy weights, light weights, isometrics etc. Some might find that one method has preferable outward effects, and therefore choose to focus on that method while excluding others. IMO, all methods have important fitness benefits, and I choose to practice all of them in some form (although not necessarily in the same rotation).

But, this is just my opinon and I'm certainly not a fitness professional!
Old 05-14-10, 01:22 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

It might be fine if you don't do it every day or on subsequent days, BUT it would be better physically to cross train, to avoid overuse injuries and to make sure your body is balanced.

Also, as others have mentioned, when you do the same thing over and over, your body gets very efficient at it, so you burn fewer calories (and would need to work out longer for the same effect you got previously).

Both are good reasons to mix things up a bit.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 02:41 PM  
carolyn jane

Smile

Rose,

Let me chime in here and give my advice - don't do step exclusively!!!

Step was always my favorite form of cardio. So for 10-15 years (however long it has been since step was invented) it was pretty much the only cardio I did. I worked out with Cathe, Charlene and others - intermediate/advanced - 4 times a week - 45-60 minutes.

About two years ago I started having terrible pain in my hips. After suffering with it for almost a year, I finally went to an ortho.

BURSITIS!!!!!

It was caused by the repetitive motion of stepping up and down.

I have had steriod shots, taken anti-inflammartories, stretched, etc. It has helped some, but I still have flair-ups that are very painful and I always have some pain because it just won't go away.

I had to switch to low impact cardio and walking for almost a year. Then I started adding step back in - going down to one riser and doing it no more than once a week.

What I found out is that you can do step workouts without a step and still get a good workout.

I also discovered Amy Bento's hi-lo, got out some Charlene low impact (and her earlier high impact ones), and found several other hi-lows that I really like.

I am still mad at myself for letting this happen. After over 25 years of working out faithfully (starting with Jane Fonda) I wanted the payoff to be super-fitness - not bursitis!!!

Best wishes!
Carolyn
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 03:20 PM  
HelloKitty88

Smile

You are only doing it 2-3x a week so, that's not overdoing it. If you'd be doing it 5 to 6 times a week or ever five times per week than I'd say back off a bit.

The only thing I'd suggest is:
Stretch hip flexors, calves {Gastroc and Soleus}, Quads and Glutes following your workouts. These are the major muscle groups worked with step. Stretching the outer hp and inner thigh won't hurt as well. Make sure you do sufficient strength work for the Hamstrings, abs and upper body. Simple yoga or traditional stretches are will work great.

If you enjoy it and you aren't abusing it {which you are not} then have fun. Its nice to see somebody saying the love step for once and not bashing the heck out of it. These days people are so ridiculously rude when it comes to anything step.

People often bark about step being bad on the knees but, its not any worse than running, kickboxing {kickboxing is horrible for the hip joint and lower back} or excessive high-impact. Just as long as your not abusing it, you should be okay. Always listen to your body and how it's feeling from day to day. You are doing an alternate form of cardio with power walking so, that is good.
HelloKitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 04:10 PM  
msladybug

I find step easy on the joints, but I would not suggest doing it everyday. I used to every day in my 30's. In my case, the muscle group that was getting overused was my calves, and I ended up hurting them temporarily. I wasn't knowledgable about rest/recovery so I wasn't listening to my body as closely as I do now...or should have been then.

(The calves were chronically getting tight, and sore even though I was stretching them, but I was enjoying my workouts so much I kept doing them.)

I think now (in my 50's), I could probably get away with doing step 3-4x a week, provide I have one day inbetween each step workout...and of course listen to my body more closely.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 07:52 PM  
westiemack

I love my step also. The reason I don't do it exclusively for cardio is because I am really scared of becoming bored with my step DVDs, since almost NO new (good) ones are coming out!

Kathy

Disclosure: I am an Independent Beachbody Coach, but I'm only in it for the discount!
westiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 02:59 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan View Post
I'd agree that this should be no problem as long as you're aware that your system is becoming specialized in one type of activity. So, you become very good at stepping, but that doesn't mean you'll be good at any other cardio activity. I'm not sure what the implications of this are in terms of overrall health and fitness, except that I do think diversifying your fitness regimen is good.
This has crossed my mind, hence my question. I only wish I could be a very good stepper!

I guess my takeaway is, it's movement. I'd rather step twice a week than not do anything at all. Long live step!

Westiemack, I've found that the step workouts I enjoy the most are from Amy Bento, Christi Taylor, Franny Bennedetto (mostly vhs) and (some) Cathe. A lot of people like Seasun Zeigler (sp?) but I found her a little too twirly for my taste.
Old 05-15-10, 08:13 AM  
jenn38

I love step it's my favorite with kickboxing coming second. I try to alternate between the two as to burn myself out and I have been doing kb's once a week and trying to do weights. Once lower body workout and breaking up upper body work and abs to spread them out over the week.
Old 05-15-10, 09:19 AM  
Waterbabie
VF Supporter

My husband says my butt was more blocky (i.e. Spongebob Squarepants) when I did mostly step for my cardio. That's the only drawback I can think of if your knees can handle it!
Old 05-15-10, 09:45 AM  
Yogadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgilby View Post
Step your heart out, my friend!!
I agree with Shelley on this.

While I'm a big believer in cross training in all aspects of fitness, the great thing about stepping is that it is multiplanar (not just forward and back).

As long as you are also doing other types of training, in particular resistance training, some flexibility training (ideally balance and core training as well) then I think if you had to pick one form of aerobic conditioning, stepping is a great one to choose (compared to a bike, treadmill or elliptical which are only uni planar, specifically sagittal plane dominant).

My one caveat would be, if you are doing step training as your sole form of fitness, then that could become problematic because you would be neglecting other elements of fitness and you could get overuse injuries by not having it be part of an integrated fitness plan.

Best,

Scott
Yogadad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step