Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-21, 04:14 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

For me, I will NEVER feel the same about people in general. Lack of faith in the innate goodness of others will be my new normal. If not for VF and the kindness and compassion I see here every day, I would despair about humanity.
This is true for me too. The callous indifference towards the welfare of others I see on a regular basis is just shocking to me.

It's one thing to have the general understanding that other people prioritize differently than I do, but quite another to have so much direct proof of it every time I go out in public.

I honestly find it exhausting.
Old 04-25-21, 04:40 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
pgun3 - can I ask if you go into a store that has a sign up that says masks are required, you will wear one?
I walk into a store without the mask, if they tell me I need one to shop I either put one on or walk out. It depends on if I really want to go in or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Well, I don't hate you! But I love discussion.

They make some interesting points. However, flow and ventilation systems making a difference is not new information, also being outdoors. Regarding their recommendations for air flow, no one is opening a window in Phoenix in the middle of the summer, or in northern states in the winter.

The article also mentioned lower rates in Texas after the mask mandate was lifted. However, that may change, especially with the new variants. Also, the demand for testing is lower, so that affects Covid rates.

But the researchers are an engineer and a mathematician. One study doesn't usually prove anything, it takes more than one study. The article did say their study was heavily peer reviewed, but I'd like to see what the epidemiologists and infectious disease experts have to say.
True, 1 study doesn't actually prove anything. And people believe what they want to believe no matter what the science says or lack there of. I also have heard that a virus wants it's host to survive so as it evolves it gets weaker.
Old 04-25-21, 05:16 PM  
DCW

My girlfriend had 11 friends and family members contract Covid. Seven died. I wear a mask.

After 9-11 things changed, I accepted those changes especially for flying.

A few years ago, I worked in an office building and for exercise I would run up and down the stairs. It was hard and I wasn't good at it. I really didn't like it but I continued in memory of all who rushed into the Twin Towers until I moved to another building.

I wear a mask because others need me to wear it, cancer survivors, hospital workers, store workers, my coworkers, my family members and friends.

Plus my allergies aren't so bad when I wear it outdoors.
Old 04-25-21, 05:42 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
I walk into a store without the mask, if they tell me I need one to shop I either put one on or walk out. It depends on if I really want to go in or not.

True, 1 study doesn't actually prove anything. And people believe what they want to believe no matter what the science says or lack there of. I also have heard that a virus wants it's host to survive so as it evolves it gets weaker.
I did question the efficacy of face masks in the beginning. Mostly due to articles at CIDRAP, which is the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, connected to the University of Minnesota. But once it was mandated, I wore it without question. My impression is that it helps slightly, but isolation is what really limits transmission. And since everyone cannot isolate, masks are better than nothing.

I hadn't heard that about a virus. I thought the variants were stronger. I looked it up. It can happen, but it takes years.
Old 04-25-21, 05:53 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
I am going to get hated on for my comment but I am half way back to normal now. I do not wear a mask if I am not made to wear a mask. This will never be my new normal.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit-...yhKGzKsOPxY4iI
Thanks for the link. There have been so many conflicting studies done. Early on, the Surgeon General said we didn't need masks. Then they said we did. It's like those studies they do about coffee. One week it will kill you and the next week it cures cancer! For now, I wear a mask and even double mask in certain instances. That is my comfort level at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Ditto what Sherry said. I also find it interesting that since these precautions were put in place, the number of cases of flu and colds have gone way down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
My girlfriend had 11 friends and family members contract Covid. Seven died. I wear a mask.
After 9-11 things changed, I accepted those changes especially for flying.
A few years ago, I worked in an office building and for exercise I would run up and down the stairs. It was hard and I wasn't good at it. I really didn't like it but I continued in memory of all who rushed into the Twin Towers until I moved to another building.
I wear a mask because others need me to wear it, cancer survivors, hospital workers, store workers, my coworkers, my family members and friends.
Plus my allergies aren't so bad when I wear it outdoors.
Yes, wearing a mask for the benefit of others. To be on the safe side until more is understood.

I've heard that the masks have helped reduce asthma and allergy attacks.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-25-21, 06:15 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Yes, we have had almost no instances of strep or flu in our school this year.

Carol
Yes, that does seem to be evidence that masking works.

I admit, I'm in a bit of an ivory tower here - I have been able to work at home since March, 2020 and I sometimes forget that others do actually have to go in the office - for those of you that are back in an office setting - do you wear a mask all day or just when around other people? I imagine working in an open office setting w/ cubicles you would need to wear one all day depending on where you are located and what the rules are there.

Where I live masking is totally normal and there seems to be very little resistance to it.

I feel more comfortable personally wearing a mask indoors and when I'm close to other people. I figure, err on the side of caution and I think it shows a courtesy to others, too.

I'm half vaccinated - I get my 2nd shot in a week. I will probably still avoid crowds and since the good weather is here, if we plan to eat out, we can eat outside.

I am a bit of a home body anyway so it hasn't been a huge sacrifice for me to curtail my activities.

Donna
Old 04-25-21, 07:25 PM  
schoolgirl-01

it's hard for me to ever go back to normal or have faith in people again.

my husband is american born chinese and i'm caucasian. we have suffered greatly with asian hate and attacks. my husband got a conceal carry license and now carries a gun to protect himself or us (this hurt us so much since we have always been anti-gun and even vote based on that position).

when possible i run all the errands because no one will say anything to me unless they have seen us in public before.

we live in an affluent area of south florida most of my neighbors are doctors, lawyers, and professional athletes - it is shocking to me that this hate has been directed towards us and it didn't just start with covid it started the first month we lived here. covid just made it worse and MAGA people have been flocking here ever since Trump won.

when you get the vaccine the medical staff puts notes are your car and when my husband got his shot and came home i told him you need to wash all that off ASAP before the neighbors vandalize the car.

i can't get the vaccine yet because i am allergic to almost every drug - even the most minor of surgery is a major ordeal for the medical community to deal with me. i had to have my gallbladder removed because of stones and i nearly died from the anesthesia - i went into shock and stopped breathing. this isn't a new thing it just gets worse with age.

given all of this and the amount of racist hate that exists i just don't see it getting better in my lifetime. we are so torn about if we should move to another state or not. we have a lovely home but when you are surrounded by people who truly wish we would die it's almost impossible to have a normal functioning life. we were just discussing this today and my husband said he doesn't believe there's any where that would be safe for us from hate.
Old 04-25-21, 07:45 PM  
Leonana

Schoolgirl, I’m so very sorry your husband has been treated that way. There is no justification for it. People can be real jerks, taking their hate out on others.
Old 04-25-21, 08:31 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Schoolgirl-1,

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. People have lost their humanity. Our society is sick.

Carol
Old 04-25-21, 08:42 PM  
Vantreesta

At the risk of being an outcast and starting an argument, isn't judging and hating on people who choose not to receive a new vaccine with unknown long-term effects just as bad as being judged for choosing TO receive it? Both sides of the political and pandemic debates seem to think only the "other side" is being judgmental and polarizing but the truth is that from everything I have seen, both sides bear some responsibility. We are all just people trying our best to live our lives and do the best we can for ourselves and our loved ones with the information available. I don't know people's circumstances, history, experiences or beliefs so how can I judge them for their choices?

I have more thoughts but I will stop here. I just don't understand why we as a society can't agree to disagree and respect our differences. Our country is broken and hate won't fix anything.

I don't intend to post again on this thread so please don't take it personally if I don't respond to anyone. I hate conflict and usually avoid controversy when I can but sometimes I just have to speak up.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, pandemic, vf love