Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-13, 09:47 AM  
SquishyMommy

What would you suggest for a Classic Firm devotee?

I have been trying sooooo many different types of workouts for the past couple of years. I enjoy barre, kettlebells, and JMBR but am not really seeing any results. I tend to build muscle easily, but for some reason the fat just does not go away so I just end up getting bigger. My diet is not 100% clean, but it is not bad. I don't drink soda, I have no sweet tooth at all so rarely eat desserts or sweets and I keep my calorie count around 1200-1500/day. I really just can't understand the complete lack of results when it comes to losing the fat.

Looking back, I see that the only time I did have incredible results was after I had my first daughter and was committed to using Classic Firm workouts. I figured that since that was 17 years ago it may have had more to do with being young and more resilient, but I was wondering if I should try other workouts that mirror Classic Firm type movements. What other workouts out there would be comparable to Classic Firm? I still have a few of my old Classic Firm VHS tapes but did them soooo much back then that I am still burnt out on them! I would like to try some new workouts with other instructors that may have the same effect. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-14-13, 10:09 AM  
PhyllisG

I too had this dilemma. When I was doing the Firm back in the '80's and '90's people would ask what I did. I really was at my best. Then I got into years of Cathe and while I got stronger I also got bigger. Truthfully no one was asking what I did. Now I have settled on a mix of barre (P57), walking, TA and Les Mills Pump. I am thinking about the Dream Body series and JNL Fusion but they are not in the budget right now. I also tried Jari, Jillian Michaels, and others but none gave the results the classic Firms did. I also did them all so many times that I am still burnt out on them and didn't order the new ones.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 10:24 AM  
SquishyMommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I am thinking about the Dream Body series and JNL Fusion but they are not in the budget right now. I also tried Jari, Jillian Michaels, and others but none gave the results the classic Firms did. I also did them all so many times that I am still burnt out on them and didn't order the new ones.
I had hoped that TA was going to be the magic bullet, but I despised her cardio. I tried continuing with her muscular structure workouts from her Meta Omni and just substituted other cardio, and in all honestly I did lose inches, along with a ton of muscle. So while I was techinically smaller, I felt all lose and flabby because I lost muscle tone and still didn't lose any fat. It was the most unfit I'd felt in a long time. I gave it about 6 weeks and then gave up because I couldn't stand not having any muscle tone under the fat. Meta was just a huge disappointment for me because I really enjoyed the MS work but got less than desirable results. I am so glad so many people had great results with her, but my body just did not respond to it in a favorable way at all.

I am also considering Dream Body and JNL Fusion, but just like you, they are not in my budget at the moment.
Old 03-14-13, 10:42 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

To me, many of Cathe's newer DVDs--the Low Impact and XTrain series--have exercises reminiscent of classic Firms (cardio with light weights).

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 12:29 PM  
PhyllisG

Thanks Julie. I will check them out. I haven't really been keeping track of what Cathe has out there. Maybe it is time to have another look.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 12:45 PM  
casey

Everything Cathe from LIS on seems to have done better things to my body. My legs don't get bigger, they get slimmer from these later workouts. I was a Firm Classics devote from early 1990 on, so I understand what you are saying, I think. I also do Tonique which someone described as Firm 4 limb on steroids. I did BTM from Tonique today and my legs and arms feel very worked but with 3 lb weights. It's very challenging. Jari Loves Get Revved is excellent and my legs and shoulders look great when I do it, toned, cut but not big. Did you try it? Also Doves workouts are similar to Firms. I have all 4 but I don't connect with her workouts for some reason. HTH
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 12:48 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
Jari Loves Get Revved is excellent
Just clarifying for searching purposes: Jari Love's Get Extremely Ripped! - Revved to the Max.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 01:07 PM  
casey

I am extra confused by her newer ones that add the word "Extremely" to her earlier titles.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 02:05 PM  
F1mom

Yes, I got good results from FIRM but I'm also burned out plus I have hardly any time to devote to a 65 minute workout these days.

I did Jessica Smith's Look Better Naked this morning and it definitely had a classic FIRM feel for me even though it was a total of 30 minutes (including warm up and cool down).

And I offer another vote for Tonique.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 03:45 PM  
SquishyMommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
To me, many of Cathe's newer DVDs--the Low Impact and XTrain series--have exercises reminiscent of classic Firms (cardio with light weights).
Oooo! That's good to hear! I hadn't tried any Cathe, and I heard good things about her new Low Impact HIIT, so I ordered it and it is due to arrive today! Now I feel much more justified in my order! Thank you!

Tags
classic firms, firm workouts