Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-21, 01:17 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
... So, I need some recommendations for more light, uplifting, positive novels (or authors who write same). Give me some ideas and I will check to see what my library system has. Thank you!
In recent years I've made a bit of a switch away from anything that's dark or violent, but also resisting the urge to join a protagonist's mindset if things are entirely too introspective. I seem to do well with books that have a group of characters that get along reasonably well. Strife and stress? okay, sure, that's part of life, but not to the extent that it fills the whole work with tension.

Classic authors have a lot to offer, but it does depend on the story. Jane Austen is usually a good choice. Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford is good fun.

Charlotte Bronte's Villette is about a very isolated character, and the whole thing seen through her eyes may not be all that reliable, so even though it's well crafted, it's too interior for me these days. (Trying to learn not to ruminate ... )

In more modern authors, Elizabeth Goudge has a way of telling stories that I find appealing. Her Cathedral Trilogy is good.

If you like sci-fi/fantasy, I'll be a broken record and sing the praises of Becky Chambers. Her newest, A Psalm for the Wild Built, Monk and Robot #1 is lovely, but I also find myself rereading all her works on steady rotation. (I read at bedtime and always need a bit of something ... )

I'm also a fan of The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. Basically the story of how a nobody becomes emperor and learns to cope with it.

In a lot more general terms, I'm a fan of memoirs, they tend to be entertaining without too much darkness. Bonus points if the audio book is written by and narrated by the author.
Old 11-09-21, 01:37 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

I'm also a fan of The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. Basically the story of how a nobody becomes emperor and learns to cope with it.
I like this one a lot. It is overall quite positive.

I’ve been working my way through all James Herriot’s books. Very positive and light. There are a few serious moments, but overall good for a smile or chuckle or warm feels.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 01:39 PM  
Carol K

I never read any of James Herriot's books, but I enjoyed All Creatures Great and Small on PBS. Season 2 starts on January 9.
Old 11-09-21, 01:44 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I never read any of James Herriot's books, but I enjoyed All Creatures Great and Small on PBS. Season 2 starts on January 9.
The books are good. I mean, they’re not for the squeamish. James Herriot does a fair bit of sticking his hand up the nether regions of cows and sheep…but nothing gratuitous.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 01:55 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
The books are good. I mean, they’re not for the squeamish. James Herriot does a fair bit of sticking his hand up the nether regions of cows and sheep…but nothing gratuitous.
They are very good! I read them when I was very young and really enjoyed them.

Reading E.R. Nurses right now. Just finished The Night the Lights Went Out: A Memoir of Life After Brain Damage.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 03:03 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions! I do like thrillers and don't even mind murder mysteries, but I'm just not in that mindset right now.

Anna, so funny that you mentioned Jane Austen - when I was looking at my shelf and passing on the newer novels, I did realize I had old copies of both Sense & Sensibility and Mansfield Park on the shelf, and I actually picked up S&S to start reading next. I've never read either, but I've recently enjoyed the "Mr & Mrs Darcy" cozy mystery series, so I thought going the classical route might be a good iea.

I also do like sci fi/fantasy, or at least did when I was younger. I read all of the Dune books, all of Lord of the Rings, pretty much all of Stephen R. Donaldson, some Robert Heinlein. I had been thinking that I would like to get back to this genre, maybe to some of the classics. If anyone has any other recommendations in this area, let me know.

Again, thanks for all of the ideas! I will check them out.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 03:06 PM  
Carol K

You should not have unread copies of Jane Austen on your shelf. I recommend reading those post-haste.
Old 11-09-21, 03:17 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
You should not have unread copies of Jane Austen on your shelf. I recommend reading those post-haste.
LOL! If I am being completely honest, I think I have only read Pride & Prejudice. That was back in high school and I remember not really enjoying it at that time, but I think I'm in a different place now.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 03:21 PM  
Carol K

Yes, you have a more sophisticated sense of humor now.
Old 11-09-21, 03:21 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

Anna, so funny that you mentioned Jane Austen - when I was looking at my shelf and passing on the newer novels, I did realize I had old copies of both Sense & Sensibility and Mansfield Park on the shelf, and I actually picked up S&S to start reading next.
I didn't read Pride and Prejudice until I was an adult and loved it. S&S and Mansfield Park are both also very good but I liked Pride and Prejudice the best. Definitely try Austen again - she's timeless and so clever.

Quote:
I totally agree!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading