Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-22, 08:41 PM  
gladgirl

A kind of Rest In Peace…

My beloved and so often used 8qt InstaPot gave up the ghost. I had the duo one.

There seem to be so many new comers and new functions like air fryer, etc.

Which brand/version are you using and what have you been making? By the way, I posted here because I would love to hear your responses. The other thread looks dead. TIA
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-22, 08:50 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm sorry for your loss.

Updating to a new appliance isn't something I look forward to, so I guess that's why I'm always reading up on new things as they come along.

In case it's helpful, I was just reading this on Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/best-instant-pot-5205586

I've only got a three quart model, bought some good many years ago now. Still going strong. Love it in summer when it helps me not heat up the kitchen.

Most recently I used it to cook some artichokes. They were huge, and only one fit at a time, but it was so easy. Just added some water, set them on a little rack, pressure cooked for 10 minutes, let the pressure drop on its own for 10 more minutes, then opened the unit.

Oh, and I used it to cook some yellow squash, also huge. I'm reasonably certain they're WILDLY overcooked, but tasty. I do think squash in the pressure cooker is overkill, LOL! Just wanted to avoid a hot pan on the stove now that the weather's warming up.

Other than that, I like to use mine for boiling peanuts, making chicken broth, and cooking saucy things like chili and spaghetti sauce. Dried beans are easy too.

Oh, and my three quart model is really too small, IMO. Sure, useful, but I sometimes wish I had a huge one so I could make a lot of chicken broth at once. So tasty.
Old 05-13-22, 10:12 PM  
OSusanna

I have many plug in appliances and I like them all. However, I really like manual pressure cookers. If you used your device mostly for pressure cooking I would recommend considering a stovetop model. I have found that they last a long time and are just as easy to use although there might be some learning to do around your burner settings.

This recommendation of course is not valid if you use the multi features of your cooker and want that versatility in a new appliance.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 07:23 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I have a 4-qt CrockPot brand multi cooker. I love it for some things, but still prefer the stove top for others. I bought this particular one for the size (InstaPot was 3 qt) and the interior is non-stick. It's great for batch cooking things like barley, or making soups and cooking squash and potatoes (they usually get too soft, but I often add them to other recipes - otherwise I microwave them). I've tried one or two meat and chicken recipes that were just okay. And a spaghetti dish that was mush Sometimes I'd rather have something on the stove so I *can* watch it.

All those settings are supposed to be programmed for different pressures, but it seems most recipes are simply "choose manual pressure, set time". I think if I were to buy a new one, I would find one with far fewer features, but would have a saute, pressure, and slow cook settings. And maybe boil and simmer. I tried the yogurt setting and that didn't really work at all.

Oh, and I have a great recipe for butternut squash mac and cheese. That alone is worth having one.
Old 05-14-22, 08:25 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Mopsy - all the different settings seems so redundant! All I ever use is saute, manual and slow cooker.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-22, 02:05 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hmmm, I can't really help you since I'm probably on the closer end of my Instant Pot dying than having just purchased it. But, your post reminded me that (I am in Toastmasters) one time a fellow toastmaster gave a wonderful speech that was a eulogy for her mixer and a bit on the new mixer to replace "her". It was very well done and thus memorable. Good luck with your search!

Tags
instapot