Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-22, 07:26 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Today will be a busy day! I'll be walking Gus, putting up my porch cover, and spreading more mulch. Whew! It'll be another workout day. Adelija got her shoes for the proms she is going to .

Laura, I'm glad Polly now has warm laps to find comfort in during storms. As far as the basement leak, that's stupidity on my part rather than luck . I haven't contacted the skylight people yet - they've changed companies since the skylight has been put in, so I have to figure out what they are now called. That's cool that you can be a national teacher on Zoom .

Paula, I'm glad Adelija feels comfortable going to MOA on her own or with a friend to do her shopping - frankly I'd be crabby waiting for her to hit the stores. Some of the other parents that have kids are giving her prom advice - I've never been to a major high school dance, so no advice to give on my end.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 08:37 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 9 Stretch followed by some more stretching with Yoga with Tim.

Today was DH's immunotherapy so it was a quiet day around here. He has to lay around after he gets home and I used the time to sew.

Anita, you did have a busy day - hope you're not relaxing with an ice pack on your back right now. I never went to a prom so I wouldn't have any advice for her. Yeah, nice that she has friends to hit the mall with. I like to go browse in the mall sometimes, but not often. When I was in high school that was a regular activity with my friends. Now not as much. I like to go when I need something and during the holidays to enjoy the decorations.

Wonder where Laura is tonight?
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-22, 07:40 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm planning on another busy day. I'm not sure if Carcassonne is a go or not this morning - I told them I could do without it this week. I got the porch cover up, but now need to wash off my porch and get plants set up outside. Also more mulch to spread - I did only a few loads yesterday. I'll need to stop by a hardware store to pick up some big nails to work on securing trim to my swing frame - squirrels knocked several off this winter. Tonight I'm planning on taking Adelija out to a Mexican place for food to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

No Laura?

Paula, yeah, I now do surgical hits at MOA to get something out of a particular store - haven't done mall browsing in a looooooooooong time! There's been lots of new stores and lots of closed stores in there. Hope DH is back to normal today energy wise .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 05-05-22, 07:22 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Sorry. I was on my computer yesterday and forgot I didn't make it over here. Yesterday was a busy day going to the YMCA and the weekly DH PT appointment and my chiropractor drop-in. Today, I had an in-person Excel training session and then a Wegmans pick-up. I'm trying to cook for DH so he has stuff to eat and figure out what we're going to do for Mom's celebration on Sunday. And, of course, the house needs to be cleaned up some and I can't seem to get beyond the normal stuff like cooking and laundry and errands, etc. Oh well. This happens every year.

Anita - Good luck finding your skylight people. You certainly have spread a lot of mulch!

Paula - It's good you got to shop and just browse and do what you wanted. The dissertation was finally accepted. Yay!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-22, 08:35 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 10 Cardio followed by Karen Voight Standing Stretch. Also a neighborhood walk with DH.

Another lazy day, DH was feeling back to normal today and went to the hangar to putz and I stayed home worked on my latest quilt.

Anita, I had Mexican food today too, in honor of Cinco de Mayo. Although when I was in Mexico on May 5th I don't remember it being much of a thing. Could be I'm just old and not remembering correctly. I like that expression - surgical hits - for shopping. Pretty much what I do most of the time. Those darn squirrels, hope you can fix what they broke.

Hi Laura, those darn computers can really suck you in can't they? Glad the dissertation was accepted, such a stressful time for degree candidates. I'm assuming it was a PhD disseration? Although it was long ago - 1996 - I was working at CSU Long Beach when a Master's Degree Candidate in Engineering shot and killed three professors at CSU San Diego. The professors were on his thesis committee and he was there for thesis defense. I guess he thought his thesis was going to be rejected and he just snapped. Of course he had hidden a gun in the room in advance and so - premeditated. For a variety of reasons I had to attend numberous meetings at the Chancellors Office on this event (as did my colleagues from the other campuses), so this event is forever imprinted in my memory.
Old 05-06-22, 06:54 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on dropping Adelija off at school and going to the WRC for the morning to work on bats. I finished the big garden bed out back, but have a little bit of mulch left over so I'll spread it in one more bed of my garden - it'll be about 3-4 wheel barrows full. I'm also moving my houseplants and orchids outside - the weather has warmed up nicely! Gus walk and lots more putzing planned!

Laura, glad your dissertation project got finished and accepted - I remember that process and day of finishing my PhD also! I'll be cleaning up my house once the plants get moved outside - we're expecting some rainy days next week. Glad you were able to check off lots of To Do's!

Paula, I talked to the server at the Mexican restaurant and she said Mexico doesn't recognize the holiday as much as Americans do . The restaurant I was at had it's biggest crowd ever - it only opened in the Covid closing time. I remember that incident at your university - very tragic!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 05-06-22, 06:35 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I started at the YMCA with Dad this morning and had a really good workout. This afternoon, I went to the library to pick up a book and went by the grocery store to pick up a few things. In between, I have cleaned up the house some and dealt with Polly. She has been a high maintenance kitty today. This evening, I need to put together a crockpot dish to cook tomorrow.

Yesterday was one of our best friend's birthday and we spent some time talking to him and texting. He's the guy who got married in the Pasadena area last summer and now he's getting ready to move to Vancouver, BC with his wife who has accepted a new position at a university there. It's going to be an adventure for him.

Paula - Yes, it was a PhD dissertation on breast cancer treatment. Actually, the process I helped with was to submit the dissertation through University of Alabama's electronic submission system. I have never seen such a ridiculously BAD system in my life. She would submit her dissertation and then they would respond really rudely about things she needed to change in the Microsoft Word document she had submitted. She would fix those things and then they would come up with more things for her to change, some of which contradicted the guidelines they had given her. It was all Microsoft Word formatting issues, not content problems. The content of the her dissertation had been approved and it was all good. That is horrible about the PhD student at your university. I can see why you remember it to this day!

Anita - Americans tend to do that, take something from another country, modify it, and make it bigger than where it came from. It's good you are having warmer weather. Finally. I hope you get the mulch done.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-06-22, 08:20 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 11 Moderate Weights followed by some stretching with Tamilee.

Beautiful day so we flew to Catalina and hiked the airport loop trail.

Anita, you sure are getting lots of functional fitness in your gardening lately. Glad spring has finally come to the northern states. So I wasn't remembering incorrectly - Cinco de Mayo isn't a big thing in Mexico it's just an excuse for Mexican food and beer in the US.

Laura, wow that friend who got married when you came here is now moving to Canada! I've spent some time in British Columbia and really love it there. We haven't spent any time in Vancouver but more in the islands right off the coast - beautiful area. Sounds like typical PhD disertation problems - format is always a big issue for some reason. The tragedy at CSU San Diego was a Master's degree, not a PhD, but similar in many ways.
Old 05-07-22, 08:35 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It's a beautiful sunny day here! Adelija has her friend here overnight, so don't know what breakfast will involve. I'll be walking Gus and putzing around and enjoying my back yard! I'll need to stop by a garden center and pick up annuals, but I think the stores will be packed today. I got all the mulch distributed!

Laura, I need to do some cleaning here also - I've got all my indoor plants outside, so room to deep clean in my bird's room now exists! I might even try to get the cage cleaned outside - I can transfer the finches to a little pet box for a little while. Is the border to Canada open now? I know it was closed during Covid - our minister had to transfer up there during the closedown and it took lots of paperwork to get him moved up there - but possible! I always felt sorry for the mathematicians trying to submit PhD's at our university for formatting of their math formulas - the text rules when you're using Greek symbols or superscripts/subscripts and then not having page breaks between lines of a formula - eek!

Paula, Frankly, I don't know how much functional fitness I'm getting vs being an ibuprofen taker - it's 4 doses a day these days! Glad you and DH were able to get out and enjoy the day!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 05-07-22, 01:04 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm having too lazy of a day so far; I have too much to get done for it. But, as I always say, whatever needs to get done will get done and whatever doesn't happen didn't really need to happen... So far, I've gotten a crockpot dish put on and brushed Polly and written a couple of notes. Mainly, we're trying to get our living area cleaned up - kitchen, family room, and dining room. And I'm going to make butterscotch brownies for tomorrow.

Anita - It sounds like you are getting functional fitness that is stressing your body. Sorry you have to take so much medication after the work. My back aches in sympathy! I've heard the border between the U.S. and Canada is open, maybe with some restrictions? My friends are acting like him moving to Canada won't be a problem and they know what the immigration process will be for him.

Paula - We're the opposite of you. We've spent time in Vancouver, but not in the countryside/islands around it. Our first cruise (27 years ago) went from Seward Alaska (near Anchorage) to Vancouver. After disembarking, we spent 3 days in Vancouver and walked all over the city. I've always wanted to go back and see more of the bigger area around it. Maybe we'll do that and see my friend at some point.

Laura's Workout Mantras: