Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-05-22, 08:59 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, a lot of poses that induced relaxation would stimulate the vagus as well, so definitely restorative poses. Supporting the back of the head so that the chin dips slightly towards the chest when lying is one option for this. Breathing and sounding/humming also appears to be helpful (see work of Amy Weintraub).

Here is a good references:
https://www.yogauonline.com/yoga-pra...-and-breathing

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 09:53 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Later this morning I will be going on a neighborhood walk with my 3 year old grandson.

Pam, Season 8 and Season 6 still remain my favorites of the Classical Stretch seasons.

Pam and Pat, thank you for the update about Kath! It sounds like she is a happy mom, which is nice to hear. I miss the days when my kids were little.

Sandra, I didn't know that about Sacramento getting an ocean breeze--interesting!

Cyana, your Cubii was a good investment since you're getting a lot of use out of it.

Margot, I started posting here in 2010, in the later part of the year.
No, we haven't yet gone to the beach since we have moved back. The parking is difficult at our beach. When my husband and I were teenagers, we went to the beach a lot.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 07:04 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: I did Sandra's version of the Knee routine from Total Body Solution (adding in a set of doorknob squats and extra stretches), followed by Upper Body Strength from Jessica Smith's original Walk Strong set. I also walked outside this morning for 1.25 hours.

The knees seem to have improved a good deal. They are occasionally achy or stiff, but no sharp pains or buckling.

RE CS Season 6, it is one of my favorites! A lot of it is due to the presence of Sahra and Brandon in some of the episodes.

Margot: I think I've been posting on the Barefoot thread longer than Paine, but not as long as Beth or Pat58. I'm guessing it is about the oldest continuous check-in thread at VF.

Pat58/Yogapam: Thanks for catching us up on Kath! She wrote a lot of excellent VF reviews back in the day. Good to know she is doing well.

Beth: In Jessica's new YT mobility workout, she does a kind of shallow stationary pulsing lunge, and my quads felt it!

Paine: When I was about 12 our family lived in Huntington Beach for a year. My brothers and I loved going to the beach! Of course it was best in the summer when we could swim in the ocean, but even winter visits were nice for shell hunting.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 08:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s activities:
~Taught Essentrics
~Beach & park walk….fresh sea air & a little forest bathing.
~Yin yoga class by the fire at my yoga buddy’s place - My first in person yoga class since before Covid. I added half saddle at home after.

Sandra & Paine - I think I need to explore more of CS season 6!

Beth - Thanks for the link, more reasons to practice gentle and restorative yoga.

Margot - I joined the Barefoot check in shortly after I found VF in 2006. I have bounced around to other checkins, but I’m not good at keeping up with more than one. This one feels like home.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 09:36 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Margot, Pat gave a good checkin summary, although she was modest - I think she & I revived this checkin together! In the mid-2000s, I was doing a yoga checkin for awhile and dabbled in a few others that petered out - I always liked this group the best. In addition to Kath, there are a few others I miss who I still see on FB - Gale, T (Theresa) and Cheri. Sometimes I'll see an old post from someone who used to be on VF all the time but who hasn't posted in awhile and think "oh yeah, whatever happened to them?"

Pam, how did it feel to return to in-person yoga? As always, your time in nature sounds wonderful. And yes, not that we need to justify restorative, but the benefits are truly good for your health. The person teaching after me on Tuesdays is now on maternity leave, and that class has been replaced by a restorative class - I might check it out on my birthday in a few weeks.

Sandra, I actually don't mind stationary/pulsing lunges as much as moving ones! Hmm, I hadn't thought about this being the oldest checkin, but that is possible. There used to be another one around for awhile (Belly Busters or something like that), but I don't think that one is still going. The membership of VF has changed so much even in just the past 5 or so years!

Paine, Kath does seem to be doing well! She's actually running for a local position - in her area - in fact, it looks like the election was today!
https://www.facebook.com/watch/Kathe...hoolCommittee/

Work was draining today, but the weather was warmer, and I enjoyed teaching at the studio.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-05-22, 10:11 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Beth - It felt really good to be back in a live yoga class! I also miss Gale, T, & Cheri. I hope Kath wins the election! I believe it’s for a school committee and she would have a lot to contribute to her community.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 07:46 AM  
Twigs

Yesterday evening I did:
- ETV Amanda's Ageing Backwards
- Body Groove Yoga Fusion #4 (15 min)
- Pete Caughey qigong - How to see, feel and hear energy out of each finger.

This morning:
- Jessica Smith's Mobility, inspired by Sandra. I've been on a Jessica kick this week, in anticipation of her new program! Hope it's coming soon.
- CS614 Butt & Posture, thanks to Pam. The deep lunges and emphasis on activating the leg muscles while doing tai chi plies made it much harder than I've seen in recent classes. I liked it.

Thanks to all for the history of this thread. I found it really interesting and also awe-inspiring that you've all been here for so many years. It's even more surprising that this forum is still going strong, despite FB and all the other social media sites these days. Have any of you met up in real life?

Sorry for the quick fly-by. I'll try to catch up with personals later.

Waves to all.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 08:12 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Yesterday featured:

~ Kassandra morning yin yoga plus additional poses and affirmations
~ LWR Walk Fit Challenge W3D6
~ 8,267 steps

After my complaining about Lucy, yesterday's workout ended up being quite enjoyable. She filmed it outdoors.

Beth, thank you for that link, it looks great. I miss Gale too, and sometimes I think about Colleen and 54Sneakers - is her real name Marian? I can't remember.

Paine, sometimes I miss my son being little, especially around Christmas. I can't believe how time is flying.

Good morning to Pam, Margot and anyone who visits today!

Sandra, good luck with continuing to rehab your knees.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 09:54 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, I miss Gale, T. And Cheri too! I hope Kath wins the election. I also remember Colleen who used to post here and I think she lived in Washington D.C.

Pat, I had forgotten about 54Sneakers posting here!

Sandra, I didn't know that you once lived in Huntington Beach! Going to the beach was a lot of fun when we were kids. I used to swim in the ocean when I was a pre-teen and also when I was a teenager but the Pacific Ocean is too damn cold for me now! Even just putting your feet in the water at the shore, it felt like ice water.
I didn't know that this check-in is one of the oldest continuous check-in threads at VF.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 10:23 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I had forgotten about 54Sneakers - I think that was Marianne. And there was also NaturalLove, who dropped off after she had a baby...I'm sure I'm forgetting others, too.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
bobandbrad, vagus nerve