Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-22, 09:30 PM  
JustSandra

Hi everyone!

I spoke a little too soon re my left knee -- shortly after my last post I re-tweaked it and it spasmed a bit. Luckily I remembered tips from Bob & Brad about "calming down" a hurt knee, and immediately applying some ice followed by a gentle walk got things relaxed again. I was able to work yesterday and today at the library wearing braces on both knees. I'm mostly okay now except for the occasional twinge or "catch." This weekend I'm going to research and design my own knee strengthening program.

No workout yesterday, but for

Today's Workout: The Knee routine from Total Body Solution (once again subbing out a couple of the exercises for variations that work better for me). From my reading I know that if the knee feels better after certain exercises that is a good thing, and this routine does that for both knees.
Followed this with the Upper Body work from Margaret Richard's Getting Better.

Cyana: As usual you are working too hard! The book I referenced is very good, explaining things well and covering knee care from conservative approaches through knee replacement (the author is a knee surgeon). I *definitely* want to go with the conservative approach, especially since what I'm learning indicates this is often all that is needed with arthritic knees.

Take care everyone!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 07:04 AM  
Margot

Happy Sunday to all.

Yesterday's workouts were all short:
- Bellyfit DOTM Seeds of Sustenance
- Short neighbourhood walk
- Beth's Lunchtime #4. I the sequence using the block for balance. I never realised how just holding a prop can help.
- Daisy Lee Uniting the 3 Hearts and Qi Wave

This morning:
- HealthBarre Online Group (Mar 30)
- Karin's short practice for the spine and inner organs
- Walk on our local Common

Sandra - I'm glad you're finding your new book useful and are finding the exercises that can help your knee and not hinder it.

Cyana - Boo hiss on having to work this weekend. Hope you'll at least find some time for yourself today. Yes, HRV was mentioned in the workshop. I know a bit about this already, as I've done a few of the Heartmath programs - of course I have! Their research is fascinating and Dr. Rollin McCraty, in particular, is a great wealth of information. They have some free videos for anyone who may be interested.
https://www.heartmath.com/experience/
I also have one of their monitors to measure heart coherence. The trouble with me is that when I hear a different blip that signals I'm getting out of coherence, I start wondering why and that blows the whole thing! (rolls eyes). I must try it again.

Wishing everyone a restful day. Waves to all.
Old 04-03-22, 10:10 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

LOL, I just realized that when I started this month's thread, I put April 2021 - anyone else notice that? I just updated it.

Margot, thanks for reminding me holding the block to balance! We did a lot of that in my Yoga for Healthy Aging training in the fall, and I definitely found it to be a useful addition. Plus, the blocks we have at the studio are a bit denser than regular foam (more solid/less squishy), so they would add even a bit more weight. And thanks for sharing your thoughts. The vagus nerve is definitely something that has been coming up more in both yoga and mental health. However, it doesn't feel like more mainstream medicine is really providing information about this area, at least not yet.

Sandra, I know that is frustrating to think that you are done with something only to have it crop up again! I hope things improve for you.

cyana, I'm sure it's hard balancing that desire to retire (yesterday!) with the real-life practical stuff. I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on inflammation, including in the cases you mentioned of young people who look healthy otherwise. I see more and more about this online, but similar to what I noted to Margot above about vagal theory, I don't hear much talk about this in mainstream medicine.

Paine, we have been getting April showers - SNOW showers! - here. This week looks to be in the high 40s - low 60s range, which is at least better.

Yesterday I went to the Saturday morning yoga class with my friend Carol, which was nice. Today I'm going to attempt some kettlebells if I can get moving.

Hi to Pam and anyone else who is here but hasn't posted yet for this month!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 10:25 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Perfect Pilates Body with Andrea Speir (Core Blast and The Skinny Jeans segments)

I like Speir's Pilates DVD. She doesn't rep you to death but you still feel worked.

Cyana, I feel for you with the long hours you work! I don't know how you do it.

Beth, I didn't notice the 2021 year--funny!
Snow showers in your area? Yuck. Today it will be 65 degrees but then go up and on Thursday it will be 85 degrees F!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 11:19 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning, a quick post & run….

We came down to the city last night to go see folk singer Valdy at the local jazz club with DS1 & DIL. It was so good, a small venue & he’s great at engaging with the audience. We head home this afternoon.

Yesterday's workouts:
~City walk
~Joint mobility & strength exercises day 1
~Hip stretches & yin poses

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 06:58 PM  
JustSandra

Hello!

Knees doing pretty well today, just occasionally stiff. I decided it was time to do some work with them.

Today's Workout: A mish-mosh, but a good one. I started with the first five exercises from the Knee routine off of Total Body Solution, as together they make a good all-around knee warm-up. Next I did the Lower Body routine from Margaret Richard's Getting Better. Through researching knee rehab exercises it became clear I absolutely need to welcome squats back into my regular workouts, so I next did 15 reps of a squat variation involving holding onto the knobs on either side of a door (thank you Bob & Brad). These were easier than the Wall Slides from Gaiam's Strong Knees. Finally I did the last two Knee exercises from Total Body Solution, followed by leg stretches on my own. Phew!

Beth: I missed the 2021 error too!

Paine: Highs in the low 90s are forecast for later this week. Better make sure my A/C is working!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 08:54 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Haha, glad you all missed my 2021 error! I don't know why I'm still making that mistake this late...

Today was DVD love: I did The Kettlebell Way to a Perfect Body. I did it the whole way through, but I did modify a bit, and I skipped the bonus snatch test at the end - I usually try to get some of that in, but I was worn out!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-03-22, 10:44 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays workouts:
~BellyFit Shakti Warrior: Open & Receive
~hip, shoulder, QL focused stretches & yin poses

Sandra - I’ve heard that knee rehab usually includes squats. I’m doing squats in both my hip rehab circuits. Day 1 has wall squats with a resistance loop & leaning against balance ball with legs at a 45 degree angle. Day 2 has split squats & goblet squats. I will say that as much as I’m not big of fan circuit style workouts, this regime, squats included, is definitely helping me. I hope you get relief too!

Beth - I also didn’t notice 2021, lol.

Margo - Your workshop sounds so interesting!

Cyana - Sorry your back on the never ending work treadmill! I am using Microsoft Teams now as you get an hour free vs 40 min with zoom. I only do one class a week online and it’s a freebie for friends, so I don’t want to pay for a subscription. Teams works great & is very user friendly. I do a 40 min class and the extra time allows for people to get online and still have time for a short chat after.

Paine & Sandra - Wow you sure are having a heat wave!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-22, 06:32 AM  
cyana

Welcome to Moan-Day one and all! I've moaned all week-end, since I worked both days, so I got an early start for the official day of moaning. That means I'm all warmed up and ready to lead the choir!

Saturday I pedaled Cubii for 2 hours (two 1 hour sessions) and yesterday I did around an hour. If the stars and planets align, I'm hoping to go outdoors for a walk today, hopefully do a little hand-pruning during my lunch hour (that is usually spent at my desk) and later today will be a live qi gong class with Lee.

Pam - I use Teams at work and it is pretty easy as long as they don't get on one of their jags where do a bunch of updates to the functions and don't put out any sort of update notifications. Thankfully I'm typically just a participant, so those surprise updates don't tend to affect me as much as the host.

Margot - I think I had a very early version of Heartmath or something similar. I gave it to my mother to use, as she had hypertension, and I'm trying to remember if I found it when I was getting ready to sell her house. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check that out when I have a few minutes to breathe.

Beth - Snow showers? Yuck! Unfortunately, medical education in this country is largely funded by industry - such as the pharmaceutical interests - which increasingly influences physicians. I promise not to get on my soap box this morning! 2021 sailed right over my head, LOL.

Paine - I'll happily take your weather!

Sandra - I'm glad your knees were less cranky yesterday.

Must run and wrap up that huge thing that is due today and send it on its way. Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-22, 08:14 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Happy Monday! Here's a funny video about Wordle for anyone who plays:
https://www.newyorker.com/video/watc...-behind-wordle

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
bobandbrad, vagus nerve