Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-11-22, 07:05 PM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
Helen, how are the weather/flooding conditions now?
Hi Elsie - thanks for checking in on me. Sister still unable to move home. Power is back on but they're still in clean-up/toss mode. We speak most days. They're being quite resilient, some tears, but lots of "It's just stuff, WE are safe and unhurt." She gave me jobs to do from here - sourcing replacement appliances. Hours on phone/online that they don't have time for.

As to the weather - it's feeling like the summer is over (cooler, less humid) but even here (on a hill) the ground is still quite damp underfoot - and more rain predicted for today/tomorrow.

Dancing Queen
Hope that 'not right' feeling in your knee continues to improve. Modifying sensibly is what a physio advised me ("Keep doing what you've been doing.") and no other intervention required - hope you have a similar outcome.

ME - workouts
Not much - and THAT situation needs to change - TODAY!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-22, 07:35 AM  
Dontmindthemess

AnMrsDe My PF is gone! I did get the inserts (thanks Tammie!) and I wore them only to work. A lot of days I took them out after 6 hours, they did make my feet sore but not exactly in a bad way. It’s hard to explain but it did feel good to take them out after a few hours. I don’t do any cardio barefoot now either. When I do Nikki’s workouts I wear sneakers in the beginning for the cardio and impact. I did get new cross trainers but I don’t think the PF was initially from exercise. I really noticed the difference yesterday at work after I had lunch and got back up that I was totally pain free. I would feel fine on my feet but if I sat down for 30 minutes or so and got back up I would be limping! I also have been wearing my trusty Franco Sarto loafers as much as I can. It’s hard for me to say what really did it, I was really lazy working out last month too which actually might have done the trick. I’m just happy to be pain free!!

How’s your mom doing in her new digs? I hope she’s settled in and has a nice social life there. I’m glad that it takes a lot of worry off of your mind.

Waves to everyone!! Have a great weekend!!

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-22, 09:15 PM  
Helen

Saturday - DID do something!
50min, Cathe - Body Blast - Legs & Glutes
also, long walk with DH & dog around the lake.

Sunday
37min, Cathe - Body Blast - Timesaver - Workout 1 (Step, Chest, & Triceps)

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 03-14-22, 07:00 AM  
Dancing Queen

Elsie, hope you feel better as you recover from your booster shot!

Helen, I'm glad you're able to help your sister from afar and that she and her family are coping well under the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Dancing Queen Hope that 'not right' feeling in your knee continues to improve. Modifying sensibly is what a physio advised me ("Keep doing what you've been doing.") and no other intervention required - hope you have a similar outcome.
Thank you, that's good to know! I've never had any knee problems before and I wasn't sure if I needed to see a PT because I couldn't even say what I did to the knee. I must have pulled something, but it has been gradually improving every day, although with sharp pain when I did more than just walk around the house. I've been avoiding cardio workouts in order to heal - I'm a big believer that pain means STOP.

Thankfully, this morning I woke up and my knee felt fine, so I did a short Body Groove workout (with lots of modifications). During the workout the knee started feeling slightly not-quite-right, but without any pain, so I plan to stick with Body Groove for a week or longer and then get back to walking and ultimately step workouts as I'm able - with sensible modifications along the way!
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-22, 03:16 AM  
Elsie

Hey everyone & hope your week has been off to a nice start.
DancingQueen, Very happy to hear that your knee feels like it's on the mend now. WTG on using smart modifications! How are you finding Jill Miller's work? I don't have any of her full workouts. I completed training in Yamuna ball rolling which may be similar. Wishing your knee to stay on the healing path!!! .. And yes, I'm 90% free of Vax-arm now. I think the pharmacist jabbed too high on my arm.
Helen, I'd say your sis+fam are resilient! I'm really hoping that they are able to get settled back in their home sooner than later ... I can't imagine all they've been going through feeling and just logistics-wise. Also, great job on the doggie-DH walks! Sounds nice.
AMD, excellent news that your heel pain is no longer!!! And Yes! To finding challenging workouts free of Lunges!
Jane, so glad that you healed your PF! A workout filled with plank walk-outs sure sounds very tough!
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-22, 01:10 PM  
Dancing Queen

Hi, Elsie, glad to hear your arm is feeling better!

I've bought several of Jill Miller's DVDs but this is the first time I've ever used one! The KneeHab DVD has 5 sections - 1 about knee anatomy (which was primarily about bones instead of muscles/soft tissues, so it seemed lacking), 1 with ball rolling (SO painful in a few spots, which I think is the point!), and 3 with various exercises to strengthen the ankles, knees, and hips. These sessions had a lot of standing balance work - fun AND functional! Other than the anatomy lesson, I'm going to keep all of these in my regular rotation. They run from 12 to 17 minutes long, so they're a good add-on to my daily-ish PT.

The Yamuna website is very cool - if you don't mind my asking, how did you get involved to the point of getting your certification?
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-22, 01:35 PM  
AnMrsDe

Jane, so glad to read you're PF-free!! I'm sure those 2 months doing less working out really helped to rest your heel since you're on your feet so much at work besides.//Mom is doing great at the ALF and is getting accustomed to everything. You know they don't appreciate change at that age, LOL, but she is coping well and I think enjoying herself as it seems to be a good fit for her. She really appreciates that her friends live there and can eat with them. Funny story: she was getting ready for bed one night and always puts the "call button" on her night stand for emergencies. Well, she was getting settled in her bed, etc. and the nurse on call walked into her room and scared the crap out of her! She accidentally pushed the button without realizing it, LOL!

T2B, LOL about DST! This time it was ME dragging during Yvette's workout, haha! Good job on the PHA + Cardio blasts - it is great!! Enjoy this awesome weather!//I noticed at Aldi's today that they had TONS of '22 planners left....well, hello?? Who's going to buy them well into March??

Helen, great job on the workouts! I'm sure your sister's family appreciates your help with their flooding issues.

Dancing Queen, - good to read your knee is feeling better!

Elsie, Glad to read, too, that you are feeling better after your vax.//I have my good and bad days with my heel....it is feeling better but still majorly present, unfortunately. //I highly recommend that Michelle Briehler workout I did the other day - it was excellent for a different workout with so many creative moves! ETA: I just got back from a short walk outside, and so far (fingers crossed), my heel feels ok!

ETA: is anyone subscribed to Cathe Live? I need a report on her recent Wicked Lower Body workout! It looks brutal!

https://cathe.com/forum/threads/vide.../#post-2535577

Hope everyone is having a good week!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-22, 05:24 PM  
Helen

Dancing Queen
You're SO right about what pain is FOR. Subtle progress IS progress. I call that weird feeling I get now & then, a "wobbly". No pain, but a reminder to keep good form. Wearing a thick elastic knee brace also serves as a constant reminder and gives a feeling of security too.

JANE
No more PF? Wonderful news! DH had it BAD for a long time, but once it was gone, it has never returned. Hope the same is true for you.

Monday - an hour's dog walk
Tuesday - nothing, as had a VERY long after work compulsory training
Wednesday - DH is back to the farm today. Making a solid mental plan to deal with it better.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 03-16-22, 04:34 AM  
Elsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post

Elsie, Glad to read, too, that you are feeling better after your vax.//I have my good and bad days with my heel....it is feeling better but still majorly present, unfortunately.
Oh, I'm sorry I misread. I do hope you find something soon that works to keep it not-so-painful. Have you ever seen a podiatrist? My back/scoliosis is very much like that. I can be 90% straight/doing well for up to 2 years and then, just like that I can barely walk 7 steps.
Thanks for sharing that sweet/funny story of you Mom. it really is great that she is enjoying friends, especially after the loss of your Dad.
Oh & I Love Al too (fr Cathe)! Just an awesome presence! I did have LIVE for three months, but didn't renew. I don't have time as I'm doing weights 3x a week, I enjoy the walks I get in and then I'm just so busy the rest of the week! I'm trying to get weights to 2x a week probably when I finish up this current program, cause we're so busy with moving etc. I'm not good at ALL with multi-tasking etc. Anyway, I'm blabbering now! Glad you enjoyed the latest workout! Ha.

Dancing Queen, thanks so much for the outline of the Jill Miller dvd. Sounds really solid. I actually didn't go all the way through with teacher training for Yamuna, but I do have some pre-instructor credentials. At the time/over 12 years back, I was set that I was going to try to get into the masters of occupational therapy program and thought with my own ailments (back etc.), it might be very useful. There was a local rehab nurse who was teaching it, so I signed up. It was more useful for myself than I expected, eliminating a lot of my myofascial flare-ups at the time. I haven't taught it or anything myself however.
Helen, best of luck with you+DH being apart.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-22, 12:32 PM  
AnMrsDe

Elsie, great job on lifting heavier! Cee must be your sweet spot!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! (Need to see that sun around here and the rain needs to go away). I did notice how green the grass is getting from all the rain, though!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
just the workouts