Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-21, 05:03 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmom View Post
Can this drive be used to copy DVD’s to either a hard drive, jump drive, or cloud drive?

My internet provider is typically reliable, but I awakened the other morning ready for my morning workout before logging on for work. Internet was down for maintenance and estimated to be back up by 6am which was when I needed to be logged on for work. I ended up using 3 different DVD’s to take the place of my scheduled streaming workout.
Not 100% sure of your exact question but I'll try to answer.

You can use it to "rip" dvds to mp4 format on your laptop or computer and then once in mp4 format you can copy those mp4 files to an external hard drive or I suppose a cloud drive depending on your storage limits. But that second part about transferring the mp4s to an external drive doesn't involve the dvd player/writer; it's something that happens between your computer/laptop and the external storage device.

As far as flash/jump/thumb drives...I think I remember you can't put individual files that are more than 4GB on them unless you reformat the drive. But mp4's aren't usually that large. To clarify: you can buy a thumb drive with 64GB+ of storage but if you make an .iso file of a dvd (for example), it's usually going to be more than 4GB and it will NOT transfer to a thumb drive. But then again, you can't "play" an iso file the way you can play an mp4 file so probably not an issue most people will ever encounter.

I backup all of my dvd-r's as iso files because I have transferred all of my VHS to dvd-r's and dvd-r's can go bad/degrade over time and I want to be able to recreate the dvd-r's if that ever happens vs. having to transfer the workouts from VHS to dvd again (if that makes any sense).

If you have further questions about mp4s and playing workouts in mp4 format from an external drive on your tv, I don't have much, if any experience with that other than I know how to download a youtube video to mp4 and I believe I used to use the program handbrake years ago to rip a few of my dvds to mp4 format. Gave up on that project after awhile.

I kind of like dvds actually. I have purchased some cathe live workouts for instance and am still trying to decide whether I should be totally old school and convert them to dvds or if I should just hook up my laptop to my tv with an HDMI cable if I want to do the workout or if I can connect an external drive containing mp4s to my tv and access them that way, etc. Analysis paralysis basically.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 03:17 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Hi, thanks for posting this! It says tv connectivity. So, can you connect it directly to a smart tv? Do you know if it would play DVDs from other regions? TIA

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 06:51 AM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Hi, thanks for posting this! It says tv connectivity. So, can you connect it directly to a smart tv? Do you know if it would play DVDs from other regions? TIA
from a review of the item:
Anyone looking to get this for the intent of using it as a DVD player for your TV; DON'T! That's not what it's meant for. It's meant to be used with a computer, not a TV. While yes I'm sure it'll work with some TVs that doesn't mean it'll work with all of them. If you want a mini DVD player for your TV then go looking for one that's designed for that. LG's website list this as "TV Connectivity" which is a bit misleading since it's just a USB device. I'm sure it works fine on most LG TVs, I can't get to the ports of my some old LG LCD TV to see if it works with it. It doesn't work on my Samsung but that's not the fault of the burner as much as it is the TV itself. My point is, don't knock any star(s) just because it doesn't work on your TV.
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 01:27 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
Anyone looking to get this for the intent of using it as a DVD player for your TV; DON'T! That's not what it's meant for. It's meant to be used with a computer, not a TV. While yes I'm sure it'll work with some TVs that doesn't mean it'll work with all of them. If you want a mini DVD player for your TV then go looking for one that's designed for that. LG's website list this as "TV Connectivity" which is a bit misleading since it's just a USB device. I'm sure it works fine on most LG TVs, I can't get to the ports of my some old LG LCD TV to see if it works with it. It doesn't work on my Samsung but that's not the fault of the burner as much as it is the TV itself. My point is, don't knock any star(s) just because it doesn't work on your TV.
To piggyback onto Barb's post, for the heck of it, I just now tried plugging the external dvd player into the usb port in the back of my relatively new TCL/Roku smart tv. And it did nothing. So it is not useable with my smart tv. I kind of wondered how that would work because there's no buttons on my tv's remote for controlling a device like this. I use it as intended as a computer external dvd player.

For less that $10 more, you can buy a small, basic dvd player that is meant to hook up with a tv. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F9XHAY/

There may even be cheaper or better models but aside from not having a front display that shows time elapsed on the front of the dvd player, this is my favorite because it's pretty small and has a slo-mo function.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 04:49 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
Quote:
To piggyback onto Barb's post, for the heck of it, I just now tried plugging the external dvd player into the usb port in the back of my relatively new TCL/Roku smart tv. And it did nothing. So it is not useable with my smart tv. I kind of wondered how that would work because there's no buttons on my tv's remote for controlling a device like this. I use it as intended as a computer external dvd player.

For less that $10 more, you can buy a small, basic dvd player that is meant to hook up with a tv. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F9XHAY/

There may even be cheaper or better models but aside from not having a front display that shows time elapsed on the front of the dvd player, this is my favorite because it's pretty small and has a slo-mo function.
Thank you both for your reply, very helpful. I will go for a multi region dvd player instead. Thanks again.

Adawn, I will check the DVD player you linked thanks! Eta: It looks great, but it is not multi region. I have converted two of my DVD players to multi region myself, recently one of them is not working anymore after many years of service, I have an older that is working good, and is replacing the one that just stop playing, I tried to convert it to multi player as well, but I can't and couldn't find any code online, maybe the model is too old? That is why I would like a new cheapie one, I have several UK workouts that I really enjoy.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 02:46 PM  
loverly7

OP here. Wow, I'm amazed at how many responses this had. I definitely understand the hesitation to transition fully to streaming and for those without reliable internet connection, obviously streaming only wouldn't be a viable option. I used to be so opposed to streaming and wanted nothing to do with it. But once I started streaming it was great and then I realized I hadn't touched even my whittled down DVD collection in so many years. It felt good, even if a little scary, to donate those final few DVDs.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 05:52 PM  
gigi

I still have all of my DVD's but I only stream now. I think about selling them but I spent so many years purchasing them. They are boxed up in a closet.
Old 06-14-21, 08:30 PM  
panda12267

Quote:
I have this Sony DVD player, model DVPSR510H:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F9XHAY/

It's still going strong since early 2017 (and you can use slo-mo to learn complex step choreo). But I keep getting paranoid they'll stop producing them, so I bought a backup one (same model) in late 2018 and it's still new in the box

I think blu-ray players will be around for a while and they can also play regular dvds.
For those who have them, Xbox and Playstations play both CDs and DVDs.
panda12267 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup dvds, copy dvds, dvd software for laptop, dvds versus streaming, ripping dvds, streaming vs dvds