Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-20, 10:36 AM  
angie_nrs

Choosing a good mattress....help!

I've been sleeping on the mattress we have now for over 15 years and it just isn't working any more. I'm a side sleeper and I toss and turn all night b/c my arms/shoulders get sore. I'm a pear, so that doesn't help much either b/c sometimes my hips and low back get sore as well, but I'm usually tossing enough through the night that the back and hips don't bother me much. Add to that the hot flashes that wake me up throughout the night as well. Thankfully the hot flashes are lessening in intensity and in the amount I have thru the night.

I finally ordered a new bed from Tochta and it is OK, but sadly not the answer I was hoping for. It does seem cooler, which is nice. It was highly recommended by a close friend who is very overweight, so I was certain it would be the 'answer'. I think it is in the same category of mattress as Casper and Purple. It is better, but I still have issues with arms being sore. I'd say it is rather firm. I have used the foam toppers and actually had one on the last mattress but that didn't seem to help much......maybe it may have added to the problem?

I have also been trying different pillows and have already sent 2 of them back b/c they didn't work for me. I prefer down pillows, but am willing to try anything at this point. The only problem is, it can get expensive to keep trying something different.

I know this issue is completely unique to each person but was wondering if any of you had found your sleep 'sweet spot' as far a pillows and mattresses go. It seems as I get older and keep working out, my sleep seems to be more and more important to me for recovery.
Old 10-04-20, 12:13 PM  
fanofladyvols

Side sleeper here...I get my best sleep on my couch!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-20, 12:16 PM  
sherry7899

We have had the same Stearns and Foster mattress since 1997 and it is still extremely comfortable. I am also a side sleeper.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-20, 06:30 PM  
DCW

We use Consumer Report magazines to help us buy big ticket items.

It might help you get in the range of mattresses to try out if you feel comfortable at a store.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-20, 08:04 PM  
deineira

I’m not sure what your budget is, but I have found the best mattress for me is a Tempurpedic. I was having a lot of hip and back discomfort when I wake up and this mattress took care of that. I prefer the firm ones. These seem to have the right combination of support and give that really works for me. I also use one of their pillows. I’m a side sleeper too.

Good luck in your search. It’s taken me and my husband several years to settle on our perfect bed. It’s hard to find.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-20, 08:55 PM  
alisoncooks

I'm 100% with the first post! Side/stomach sleeper and tossing and turning all night! Sore pressure points and everything.

Unfortunately, I'm no help. I've tried so many pillows recently -- all fails. And we've currently got a foam topper on an old mattress until I can decide which way to go. I've been tempted by a Tuft & Needle Hybrid...but they're sooo expensive.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 09:41 AM  
DCW

I have stayed at hotels and wished I could buy the same mattress. Some hotel chains do sell the decor and mattress. Extreme and different and most likely expensive. But you would get a complete night on the bed vs minutes in a store. Marriott sells their mattresses. The price WOW!!

But it's an option.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 09:54 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I bought a new mattress last year. I tried about 20 mattresses, and settled on a Tempurpedic that made my back feel good in the store.

"In the store" is the operative phrase. Halfway through the night we were both tossing and turning. We figured it needed a little breaking in time. I went back to the store because we were both waking up in pain after a poor night's sleep. We both have bad backs plus arthritis in our joints, so that may be part of it. The salesman said we could not return it for 30 days, we were stuck with it for a while. It hurt me so much I slept on the couch.

I went running back to the coil! I selected a BeautyRest Black in medium firm and we love it. Mattress preferences are so personal - that's what worked for us. Good luck!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 02:09 PM  
Vantreesta

We have a Sleep Number bed. I injured my hip over a decade ago and our regular mattress, which I had previously found comfortable, wouldn't allow me to sleep on that side anymore. After we got the Sleep Number bed I could sleep however I wanted and was so happy with it. I will say though, now that I have mild degeneration in my SI joints, they do hurt most mornings when I first wake up, but they still seem better waking up in our bed than anywhere we visit or hotels we stay in.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 02:30 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Side sleeper here...I get my best sleep on my couch!
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post

Unfortunately, I'm no help. I've tried so many pillows recently -- all fails. And we've currently got a foam topper on an old mattress until I can decide which way to go. I've been tempted by a Tuft & Needle Hybrid...but they're sooo expensive.
I get so frustrated buying new pillows and finding they are all fails. It gets expensive. Like you, we have a topper on our old mattress. I'm afraid of spending a lot on a mattress and then still being uncomfortable.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress, pillows, sleep