Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-20, 08:03 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Mary Barry (Berry?) has a show that's on HULU, got good reviews in the NYT! I can't wait for the next season of the Great British Baking Show.

If you Netflix, check out Lenox Hill. Be advised that a lot of the stories are very sad, but it's well-produced and interesting.

Marcella, Season Three, is out! Can't wait to dig into that one!
Thanks for the recommendations! I've seen the first season of Marcella, but not season 2, so I'll have 2 seasons to watch! I don't know anything about Lenox Hill, so I'll look into that one. And I love Mary Berry, so I'll search Hulu for it!
Old 06-18-20, 08:40 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I never hear anyone mention this show, and it's not really comfort tv, but I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Politician airing tomorrow night on Netflix.

As far as comfort tv, I'm watching Seinfeld as I type, and I just keep that flowing into Friends after. I too am keeping news to a minimum.

DH had the news on last night as I was falling asleep and I had some very vivid and disturbing dreams about currents events. Not good.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 08:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I love the Great British Baking Show, too, but I've seen them all! So now I'm watching The Big Flower Fight on Netflix. It is British and has a very similar feel to GBBS, but with flowers.
Ooooh, thank you!!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 08:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have to find where to view The Great British Baking show. I love baking and anything British, so it should be up my alley. It is not free on Amazon Prime. I will see if Netlix or Hulu has it.
Try the various PBS stations.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 11:01 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I love the Great British Baking Show, too, but I've seen them all! So now I'm watching The Big Flower Fight on Netflix. It is British and has a very similar feel to GBBS, but with flowers.
This was mentioned on another thread, but The Great Pottery Throw Down is wonderful and on YouTube, though you may have to hunt around for it as it gets taken down and reposted. Mary Berry's Country House Secrets is another low stress series that pops up around YouTube.

I've been working my way through Taskmaster, which is going to be on The CW in August, so will likely disappear from YouTube soon.

I still watch a bit of local news in the morning, but much less of it than I did. The only regular shows I'm watching are the current season of Top Chef and Good Witch. Everything else seems to require too much concentration.

Love MeTV and Cozi, though they are listed below the HD channels on my cable listings so I forget to check them. When I was dealing with a very stressful work situation a few years ago, I'd fall asleep to the Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke shows every night

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 11:15 AM  
DCW

Now I want to find Evening Shade with Ossie Davis, Hal Halbrook, Marilu Henner, Burt Reynolds and other solid actors.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 11:21 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Now I want to find Evening Shade with Ossie Davis, Hal Halbrook, Marilu Henner, Burt Reynolds and other solid actors.
I looked for that a few months ago but couldn't find it anywhere! Let us know if you have better luck.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 11:30 AM  
Gams

Amazon has the first season of Evening Shade and VEI has the complete series.

I found seasons 3 and 4 of Wings at Walgreens yesterday for only $1.50. And I got a 5-workout Gaiam DVD for only $1.50 as well.

I have a large collection of old movies on DVD so I watch a lot of those and I have several seasons of The Andy Griffith Show, Becker and The King of Queens on DVD, too.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 12:57 PM  
desderata

Quote:
Bubbles76, being kind and gentle with yourself is best. Right now everything is harder and crying is understandable.
This. It is hard to watch your parents aging and ill, on so many levels.

I was never one for TV or movies, but I need an escape from reality right now. I just finished the first 3 seasons of The Crown on Netflix. It was outstanding in every way. Pretty true to history, gorgeously filmed and the acting was just excellent, across the board. The cast is all British, and I think the British attitude toward acting as a craft and not a means to fame and fortune results in overall better actors. I highly recommend this.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 01:17 PM  
leigh1673

Things are, indeed, crazy and if limiting your news exposure helps you to manage stress and get through the day, then that's what you need to do.

It doesn't mean that the nation (and the world's) problems are going away anytime soon though. Coronavirus is here to stay, even when there's no longer a pandemic. And if anything, these recent crises have really brought to light the problems that have existed in this nation for decades... or centuries. Racism, police brutality, health and economic disparities between black and white people.... these things needed--and still need--to be addressed.

Things were never really "good" or "normal." The bad was just being covered up reallllly well.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
board games, favorite tv shows