Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-19, 01:52 PM  
rhbrand

I'm about half way through this book

Packed with info on anatomy, physiology. How different bone structures work and how they effect movement and "looks" The different muscles, what they do for movements.
Old 10-06-19, 12:32 PM  
prettyinpink

My impressions of Glute Lab:

I have read most of it and paged through a lot of the exercise pages. Overall, I am glad I have this book, am learning from it and will continue to get use from it. There are sections I probably glossed over more and so my opinions on a few things might change.

-This is a book focused on physique. Strength, yes, but in light of physique. Right at the beginning is a two page full- color spread of nearly-bare before and afters. Whoa. This surprised me, because I thought it was supposed to be more like a textbook. Most of the discussion is also ultimately physique-focused. Meaning, not so much about how stronger glutes improve your life in non-aesthetic ways. In fact, he doesn’t seem to like using power moves or plyo, because he doesn’t think those build the butt, and that is what it is all about. (I actually do not desire a derrière as large as some of the “afters” and think some of the befores would be just fine, so there’s that). I will say that the tone is more, how to say it? “Neutral” than Strong Curves and a little less directed towards women, although clearly still marketed to women with nearly all the exercises modeled by a woman.
- There is some science talk. Maybe I had expected a little more. There are several pages of references at the end, organized by chapter. Mostly the citations are found within boxes/sidebars titled “science speak.” He does note that for some of his recommendations re:glutes, there are no scientific studies to back them up. These are his opinions and experience. (Probably one reason why he has been controversial). Also, his focus and background is the lifting world, not the health world or world of other sports, so that is where most of his science talk focuses.
-It is very well organized, well-written, easy to understand and easy to find what you are looking for. The exercises are a treasure trove with multiple variants of each, including lots of banded and dumbbell variations (unlike Strong Curves), and ways to mimic the cable exercises with a band (though I think this is still going to be difficult or impossible at home).
-There are beginner, intermediate and advanced full-body workout plans, and a whole section on general ways to make exercises more advanced beyond adding weight (helpful for the home exerciser). The beginner program doesn’t require a barbell. The intermediate can be done at home if you have a barbell with plates, chin-up bar, squat rack, bench, or some subs for a few exercises. The advanced has many exercises that really need a well-equipped gym (sled, rings, trap bar, cable, a setup for Nordic curls, lat pull down).
There is also a discussion on how to incorporate additional glute training into splits or CrossFit workouts
-Lots of discussion and photos about how to do the exercises properly and corrections for form.
-He includes info on some gym machines, particularly glute machines.
-No discussion or demonstrations at all, though, for upper body exercises. They are listed in the workout plans, but that’s it. Fairly standard moves like presses, chin ups, pushups.
-His programs, while including the hip thrust and other interesting glute exercises, are for lifters and are based on HEAVY barbell squats and deadlifts which continue to progress in weight over time. That is the foundation. There is still a lot here of interest even if you don’t want to do this, but that is the emphasis and foundation.
-Some of the pages I recognize as direct from his blog posts. I don’t read enough of him to know if that is true for a lot of the book.
-Insert here my rant on how fitness trainers have no business giving nutritional advice. But I suppose it’s as much the fault of people who ask them and expect them to address it, even though they almost never have qualifications to do so. Here we get the standard high protein advice. Reader beware as it is even much higher than a lot of standard bodybuilding advice. However, the section on eating is short and does include some sensible stuff. Basically, don’t need to worry about meal timing or eating a certain number of times, don’t need supplements.
Oh, and stressed the importance of adequate sleep and listening to your body when training, and accepting your body where your are and your genetic capabilities. Positive vibes.
-He has some mention of his own training subscription and products, but not to an intrusive degree and not with the idea that those are the things which will work “the best.”
-He mentions at the end that they plan to offer certifications in his methods.
-There is a website with video demonstrations of the exercises all in one place. Glutelabbook.com
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 03:18 PM  
buffmama

Thanks for the review prettyinpink. On his youtube channel he has a bodyweight workout and a band workout. Those look like a good starting point.
Old 10-06-19, 04:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Great review, prettinpink -- thank you. He's got a ton of great, informative info there, and then once in a while he'll throw in some of those before/after photos which I'm always shocked by when they come up because I'm not expecting something like that. And, I also mostly always think the before looks better than the after.
Old 10-10-19, 07:29 AM  
MARIKA

This is one intense book. If this came out pre-internet I would have this as my bible. For me it's just too much information. I will use some of the programs he recommends. I can honestly say the Butt Bible 3 workout utilizes most of the exercises he recommends, well only some because there's a lot plus variations. Can you imagine having a job where you research the @$$ as much as he does?

Tags
bret contreras, glute lab, hip pain