Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-18, 08:13 AM  
Lilypad

Floor Leg Work

Good Morning
I wanted your honest opinion on floor work versus traditional leg work. Is it as effective as squats & lunges etc ? I’m beginning to dread my leg day and I really do enjoy floor work. My knees and back aren’t what they use to be. Also how many times can I do floor work in a week with out over doing it? Thanks
Happy Valentines Day !!
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 09:12 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypad View Post
Good Morning
I wanted your honest opinion on floor work versus traditional leg work. Is it as effective as squats & lunges etc ? I’m beginning to dread my leg day and I really do enjoy floor work. My knees and back aren’t what they use to be. Also how many times can I do floor work in a week with out over doing it? Thanks
Happy Valentines Day !!
Would love to know this too...I am growing to really dislike squats - love lunges though.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 09:24 AM  
furmomof6

I can no longer do standing work due to a foot problem, so it's all floor work for me! I personally do it everyday and it doesn't feel overkill (and most of the time I add ankle weights). I do primarily Pilates by Lisa, but I just did the floor work portion of Great Weighted Workout today and I loved that too. I was actually thinking to myself, who needs lunges with Karen's killer quad segment on the floor!? My thighs were burning. I'm definitely sore in a different way when I do squats/lunges, but my doctor assures me they are not "necessary" to keep fit. I love floor work and am okay personally with never doing another squat or lunge.

ETA: I should mention that yes, I think it's effective because I can feel my legs getting stronger. I can tell because I just had to order a heavier resistance fitness loop, and I feel the need at times to double up on my ankle weights now.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 10:06 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I agree -- I think it's just as effective, depending on the look you're going for. If you want big muscles in your legs, probably not, but you can strengthen with floor work. Also, if you're just dreading standing work, take a month for floor work and then see if you're more interested in getting back to it. There's so much variety -- no need to dread!! Good luck.
bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 10:16 AM  
Lilypad

Thanks for you replies. I would like to lose a few inches and also tone them up. I’m not looking to build them up I am pretty happy with what I have now. Thanks
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 10:30 AM  
TinaT

Love me some floor work. I use it all the time. It's challenging and really has helped my butt and thighs.

I use Classic Firm segments. Firm also has Lower Body Sculpting Parts dvd, which is all floor work. I just started using Karen Voight which also has some great floor segments. I just did segments from Vol. 2 with Janet yesterday and I'm pleasantly sore today.

When doing any form of leg work on my hands and knees, I use my tall step to lay over. It supports my torso/lower back and allows me to concentrate on my legs without compromising form.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 11:21 AM  
Cowgirl32

Thank the Lord.. I can still do both standing and floor, but no..I don't think it's absolutely necessary. You may want to incorporate standing/balance exercises...for bone density building. Although walking would cover that.

Also Tonique's mat workout is KILLER!
Old 02-14-18, 06:04 PM  
kristiep

I find floor work best for toning. I like standing work (I.e. Squats, lunges, plies) when I want that extra cardio effect with my leg work.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 07:00 PM  
MARIKA

Check out Linda Woolridge and her Barlates. she is my go to fw for the last few years!
Old 02-14-18, 07:14 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Thanks for this thread, I am another one who can still do standing and floor leg work but would like to incorporate more floor work and less standing work just to see what it does for me.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, floor work, floorwork, jane fonda, lunge-free, squat-free