Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-17, 07:16 PM  
Cher

Love, love, love this show too!!!

****SPOILER*****

I was not prepared for what happened with William at the end of the show to happen last night....yes, I knew it was going to happen eventually but was thinking it would be more of a season finale....... It was so sad but very touching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogaGal View Post

****SPOILER ALERT****

Last night was perfect. I liked that it focused on Randall and William. We learned more about William's life and every scene seemed so important to the progression of the show. Loved William talking to Jack ("I wish I could have met my son's father.") and Randall was a hoot at the club getting excited about meeting his cousins and seeing his father in his element. The last 5 minutes were so moving and sad. Loved how Randall held his bio father's face as Jack did to calm Randall. And William's mother embracing him in the end. Then the ducks. It was Simply Perfect.
I felt exactly the same! Very well done! It is a great show!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 07:25 PM  
sherry7899

I think the version of the song
"When Blues Run the Game" was Sandy Denny's version. That would make sense since they already used music by Richard Thompson who was in Fairport Convention with Sandy. I will stop my music geek rambling now. Whomever does the music for the show is also a music geek.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 07:43 PM  
pricek

Quote:
I absolutely love this show!

****SPOILER ALERT****

Last night was perfect. I liked that it focused on Randall and William. We learned more about William's life and every scene seemed so important to the progression of the show. Loved William talking to Jack ("I wish I could have met my son's father.") and Randall was a hoot at the club getting excited about meeting his cousins and seeing his father in his element. The last 5 minutes were so moving and sad. Loved how Randall held his bio father's face as Jack did to calm Randall. And William's mother embracing him in the end. Then the ducks. It was Simply Perfect.

Looking forward to the last two episodes of the season, March 7 & 14.
I agree!! Everything about last night's show was perfect..I loved it! Very emotional!!
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 12:33 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricek View Post
I agree!! Everything about last night's show was perfect..I loved it! Very emotional!!
We just watched it tonight and loved it too! 10 Kleenex-er!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 06:35 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Quote:
I absolutely love this show!

Looking forward to the last two episodes of the season, March 7 & 14.
Reading this made my cry all over again. I just watched this last night and the emotion of it is still with me.

I'm wondering where they will go with the story lines next season. I hope it stays as good as this first season!
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 07:18 AM  
SquishyMommy

This is easily my favorite show right now. I will always love The Walking Dead, as frustrated as I get with the writing sometimes. But This Is Us has what TWD is seriously lacking right now...character development. Sterling Brown was the only actor I was unfamiliar with when the show started and now he is my favorite. He is an AMAZING actor. I loved every scene with Randall and William. I just watched the latest episode last night and it broke my heart. Makes me so angry that Rebecca robbed them of so much time. Which brings me to my one negative about the show...I don't like the female characters. I do like Beth, Randall's wife, but Kate, Rebecca, Kevin's girlfriends, etc. I have a hard time liking any of them. How can a show write men that you absolutely love and adore, yet make all the women so unlikeable? I did like Kate at first, but the last few episodes she's annoyed me.

But overall, the writing is just amazing. The writing and character development remind me of one of my all time favorite shows, My So-Called Life. Unfortunately that show was canceled much too soon and never got a chance. At least This Is Us is a breakout hit and not going anywhere anytime soon. I think I read somewhere that it has already been renewed for two more seasons? I'm not positive about that though.
Old 02-23-17, 07:21 AM  
sherry7899

Jennifer- it has been renewed for two more seasons.

I loved "My so called life" and have the series on Dvd with the bonus features. Did you watch"Once and Again" which was created by the same people as MSCL?

Old 02-23-17, 08:27 AM  
SquishyMommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Jennifer- it has been renewed for two more seasons.

I loved "My so called life" and have the series on Dvd with the bonus features. Did you watch"Once and Again" which was created by the same people as MSCL?
I never saw Once and Again! I just checked it out on IMDB.com and it looks like it aired during a period of my life where I was incredibly busy and watched very little television. And of course that was before DVR which is the only way I can watch anything these days. I will have to see if I can find the series to stream!

Interestingly, the guys behind MSCL, Once and Again and Thirtysomething are now executive producers on Nashville, which airs on CMT now. I always liked Nashville and was bummed it got canceled. Then CMT picked it up with the new exec producers and I was so excited. Unfortunately, the new season has been a huge disappointment to me. It just seems like a big mess, all the characters are now acting out of character and the storylines are just blah. I had such high hopes with the new production team.
Old 02-23-17, 08:57 AM  
sherry7899

Jennifer-I was totally hit and miss with Once and Again when it was on since my son was a baby, my DH worked overnight and I worked during the day and it was on at 10pm. The first two seasons are out on dvd. They never released the last season on dvd. I belonged to an online fan group of the show, and an incredibly kind person who had recorded all of season three shared them with me. It was a very well done show, so of course it did not last long.

I didn't know that Ed Zwick and Marshall Herkowitz (sp?) had anything to do with Nashville. I have season one on dvd but haven't watched it yet. I bought it since I loved Connie Britton on Friday Night Lights. From the commercials, it seems like it's gone totally soap opera, which I'm not into at all.

ETA: if you are into music based tv series, a new series called "Sun Records" starts on CMT tonight at 10pm EST. I hope it lasts longer than "Vinyl" and "Roadies" both which were canceled after one season. We really liked both series.

Old 02-23-17, 09:27 AM  
SquishyMommy

Sherry - Nashville did get too soapy, which is why I think it was canceled in the first place. The showrunners knew it was going downhill quickly and had already signed Zwick and Herkowitz to take over for Season 5 when it was announced it was canceled. Now that it has moved to CMT the Zwick and Herkowitz episodes are currently airing and I am sad to say that it has not been an improvement at all. It is less soapy in general, but it is also just lacking in general. It's funny, because my number one complaint about Nashville right now is the same as This Is Us. I just don't have any female characters to root for. I loved Connie Britton in the first season of American Horror Story which is one of the main reasons I started watching Nashville, but her character is just so blah. There was one female character named Sadie that I liked but she was written off pretty quickly for some reason. She was a good strong female lead, her character was dealing with an abusive ex. But then it just seemed like the show decided to drop her whole character arc which was a huge mistake in my opinion.

I have set my DVR to record Sun Records. I love the premise, but I'm afraid it might be too soapy as well. I am definitely going to give it a few episodes and see how it goes though.

Tags
favorite tv shows, this is us