Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-17, 11:52 PM  
Buttercup

Teheran: What I really liked about Contreras stuff is that he does promote glute activation. If nothing else, the Strong Curves book has a bunch of this info. But, there is a lot of the same info on his website that is helpful and free.

I don't know if his stuff is what you are looking for, partly because you said you work out at home. I thought Venus Index was one of the most friendly to home workouts, with no other equipment needs than dumbbells, stability balls and a step. I don't know how much VI costs now, because it was many years ago I bought it. Also, it is paper workouts, if that matters to you.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-17, 12:47 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I remember doing unweighted glute raises years and years ago, maybe with Jane Fonda even, but shoulder elevated hip thrusts I don't recall until a few years ago with Contreras. And I certainly don't recall heavy weighted glute or hip thrusts ever. And they certainly did not gain the cache they have now. Most every work out has a variation now, but look at stuff from a few years ago inquiring about building up the glutes and everyone recommended ass to grass squats or deadlifts. I think that Contreras really did promote this move. Did it never occur in the history of work outs? I can't make that claim, but he certainly did a lot to promote this move and this kind of training. And I doubt the Firms (which I did many of those too) were doing a.) hip thrust (different from a glute raise in that the shoulders are elevated, not on the floor which would be a flute raise or bridge) and b.) that they were advocating the kind of weight Contreras wants people to do/experiment with. This doesn't discount the value of that type of workout, there are many ways to work out the gluten and Contreras, to his credit, incorporates all types in his stuff.
I agree, the first time I saw a hip trust was in a Brett Contreras' video (youtube). I don't know if he "invented" that move, but he certainly made it popular.

________

Another program, I like for training with heavier weights, is Drop Two Sizes by Rachel Cosgrove, she is the wife of Alwyn Cosgrove from The New Rules of Lifting, so the program is based on the same kind of training... Six basic movements: squat, deadlift, lunge, push, pull, and twist, using all of the body’s major muscles, so there are not isolation here.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-17, 12:06 AM  
Tiny

Hi Theeern As I read your post about being quad dominate it made me think of Whitney Simmons on YouTube- https://m.youtube.com/results?q=whitney%20simmons&sm=3

She is building her glutes and talks a lot about being quad dominate. She has some really good workout ideas, she does them at the gym though. She is a loveable goofball.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, get glutes, heavy weight workouts, paper workouts, strong curves