Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-15, 08:55 AM  
Carolyn Smith

Fire walkers? Glutes/hamstrings

Can anyone remember which Cathe video has fire walkers? I'm planning a hamstring lengthening/glute strengthening rotation and can't remember which Cathe DVD has fire walkers.

For what it's worth to any of you who have really tight hamstrings, my PT said that weak glutes often cause compensatory tightness in the hamstrings and other upper leg muscles because they are working extra hard due to the glutes shirking their job. He had me lay on my back and try to squeeze only my glutes, without engaging my hamstrings or quads. It was laughingly hard to do! I had to really concentrate!

My dangling carrot motivator is a shiny colorful go fit kettlebell I have my eye on. I want my posterior muscles to be in good lengthened/strengthened status so my joints will be worked from a good starting point when I try kettlebells for the first time. Hope that makes sense!
Old 09-03-15, 09:08 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Off the top of my head here is what I can remember:

Butts and Guts
Athletic Training
Drill Max
Turbo Barre
(longer section)
Circuit Blast (I think?)
Crossfire (Firewalker Tabata baby!!! My favorite )
XTrain Legs
Supercuts
Flex Train
Lean Legs and Abs

I am probably missing some but that's what I can remember.

If you really want to get into the muscles deep with the firewalker bands I HIGHLY recommend Linda Wooldridge's Resista-Barre dvd. She is awesome! There is also the new one Bottom Line: A Core Defined that is available at TF which has lots of firewalker loop work. Lastly, the new Edge Booty Extreme 2 uses firewalker/resistance loop work extensively, especially in the glute workouts. HTH!!!
Old 09-03-15, 05:44 PM  
bfit

Butts and Guts is an excellent lower body workout. In addition to the fire walker exercises, there's other glute exercises in it that might help you. Also, have you thought of gliding discs? There's some Cathe gliding disc work for glutes too.
Finally, I just want to add that my father (a senior citizen) ended up with bursitis in his hip joint. Fortunately, it's cleared up now, but he was told part of the problem was stress on the joint because of weak glutes. A big part of his physical therapy was glute strengthening.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 07:58 PM  
Carolyn Smith

Thank you Colleen for the many suggestions! And thank you Bfit for the gliding disc idea. Reminds me curtsy lunges with gliding discs are super intense!!
Old 09-04-15, 07:41 AM  
firmaniac

I hope this question isn't OT, but for those who have "real" firewalker bands /loop bands can you share as to whether or not my using a regular band tied into a smaller loop (ala using a knot like you tie your shoe laces) works as an adequate substitute? I ask because I used to use rags/paper plates for gliding moves, then bought real gliding discs and my whole experience w/ those workouts changed dramatically for the better. Is the difference between real vs homemade loop bands going to be the same? TIA (p.s. I am willing to shop - just need the encouragement & brand haha)

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 09:36 AM  
mspina

Also check out Bret Contreras: The Glute Guy. http://bretcontreras.com/

He has a LOT of excellent information and exercises specifically for glute work. Firewalkers can help some, but I'd look to Bret's stuff much more than Cathe's.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 11:56 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Also check out Bret Contreras: The Glute Guy. http://bretcontreras.com/

He has a LOT of excellent information and exercises specifically for glute work. Firewalkers can help some, but I'd look to Bret's stuff much more than Cathe's.
I wish Bret would put out some DVDs!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 12:26 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
YES!! Maybe we should all get together and pester him to do just that.
Old 09-04-15, 12:30 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
That would be great!!!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 03:15 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmaniac View Post
I hope this question isn't OT, but for those who have "real" firewalker bands /loop bands can you share as to whether or not my using a regular band tied into a smaller loop (ala using a knot like you tie your shoe laces) works as an adequate substitute? I ask because I used to use rags/paper plates for gliding moves, then bought real gliding discs and my whole experience w/ those workouts changed dramatically for the better. Is the difference between real vs homemade loop bands going to be the same? TIA (p.s. I am willing to shop - just need the encouragement & brand haha)
I actually prefer tying my long 6' dynaband into a knot for firewalkers rather than using Cathe's firewalker loops. I find I get more resistance that way. Maybe there are other firewalker loops that are better than Cathe's though.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bands lower body, bret contreras, firewalkers, resistance bands