Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-13, 10:41 AM  
F1mom

Sue I thought the flowchart alone was worth wading through all the photos.

I also liked that he showed how Jessica Biel smoothed out after the Blade movie. I've seen lots of articles that tell you how to get ripped, none that talk about smoothing out if you don't like the muscular look for you personally. Plus he mentioned some women start training for looks then fall in love with performance, thus the pictures of Cross Fit women.

Finally he says in the very beginning the S&C (strength & conditioning) industry hasn't been fair to women who want a slender look from the beginning. That alone was enough for me to link the article, before I saw the awesome flow chart.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 10:48 AM  
sunday

I've always preferred the slender look on myself, so thanks for posting!

After doing ART for eight straight weeks I realized that I was starting to attain a look that wasn't for me - more muscular. I am now on CS, Essentrics and light cardio.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 11:15 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesmom View Post
Why are there no pictures of his butt? Shoot, even Richard Simmons rocks the short shorts...why not you, Brett?
You got that right!
Old 10-01-13, 11:19 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I've always preferred the slender look on myself, so thanks for posting!

After doing ART for eight straight weeks I realized that I was starting to attain a look that wasn't for me - more muscular. I am now on CS, Essentrics and light cardio.
For me it doesn't matter what I prefer! Even at my lightest weight (and I was borderline underweight) I did not have a slender look. My muscular arms and legs were still heavily muscled, and I am learning (sometimes admittedly struggling) to embrace and celebrate what I have over the years and be the best that my genetics will allow.

I plan to study that flow chart a little more carefully.

Oh, and sophiesmom, yes, Brett needs to put his butt out there since he's so eager to show women's butts!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 11:19 AM  
sophiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
You got that right!
Well he IS the glute guy or something?! Right?! I mean TA always shows off her physique.
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 11:26 AM  
desie

I think it's funny that he says TA is B.S. and yet his article uses the same strategies that she uses - cardio and avoid overtraining the vanity muscles.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 11:52 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
I think it's funny that he says TA is B.S. and yet his article uses the same strategies that she uses - cardio and avoid overtraining the vanity muscles.
I believe he meant B.S. as in Bachelor of Science degree.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 12:23 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
Sue
I also liked that he showed how Jessica Biel smoothed out after the Blade movie. I've seen lots of articles that tell you how to get ripped, none that talk about smoothing out if you don't like the muscular look for you personally. Plus he mentioned some women start training for looks then fall in love with performance, thus the pictures of Cross Fit women.

Finally he says in the very beginning the S&C (strength & conditioning) industry hasn't been fair to women who want a slender look from the beginning. That alone was enough for me to link the article, before I saw the awesome flow chart.
I believe Jessica Biel trained with Valerie Waters when she wanted to go from her more ripped look to a more "slender actress" type look. Valerie has talked about it a bit in interviews. Val's famous client is Jennifer Garnier but for some reason I though Jessica Alba was her client too. I may be confused on J.A. I am a little embarrased I know this as I don't follow celebrity gossip but I like Val Water's workouts and she tends to mention her clients a lot. Anyway, Val's work is a lot of bodyweight and light resistance paired with cardio. I think she trains people with heavier weights if it suits their goals, but often the resistance comes from light weights, body weight, gliding disks and/or resistance tubing. Her programs are usually full body circuits with cardio (often intervals) on alternate days.

I do like his flow chart and I bought his book Strong Curves because I find his approach to glute training interesting. However, I must say the picture examples--I think the women he used as "bad" examples have very nice figures too just in a different way than his "good" examples. They are just going for a different look. I think some his second examples have been Tracy Anderson clients or other variations of barre and yoga. His aesthetic talk, I really don't see it as that different than Tracy Anderson--they are using different methods because they are going for different goals and different looks. He has a thing about a certain type of booty that involves heavy resistance if one isn't genetically blessed with that look. I don't see how that is better or worse than any other aesthetic goal an individual might choose to pursue. My body does seem to respond well to heavyish lifting especially in circuits but it also responds well to barre and bodyweight training. I find it annoying that S&C gurus at the moment are usually very down on yoga, barre, pilates, bodyweight training, TA (though I kind of understand in this case), etc. A lot of people do get good results with these types of programs. I personally prefer a mix of heavy lifting and body weigh/lighter resistance. I know when I go to a gym or read materials from the popular s&c folks I often see comments how the other type of training I like is a "waste of time". At least he does to some extent acknowledge different people may have different aesthetic goals so there are a few good things about this article. I still disagree with some of his comments about pilates, bodyweight work, yoga and even TA.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 12:35 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
I think the TA comment slightly negates some of the good points he makes in the article. He still seems to think there is only one right way to train hence the comments about yoga, pilates, bodyweight training being "ineffective". I do think he raises some good point about heavy lifting boosting metabolism and making fat loss easier--for some people. I seem to lose fat quite well if I do heavy lifting in circuits. I have a fairly stocky, short, curvy build but I don't seem to bulk when I increase my weights I get smaller. but the same is true of barre, pilates, etc in a slightly different way. The main differences I notice when I switch types of training is more about functional fitness and strength vs endurance. I think I seem to have the best all round results when I do some of both, but scheduling this can be a challenge.

With TA, I've noticed on VF.... Some of the VF'ers who post about great results from TA have a background in heavier lifting and already had a fair amount of muscle before they started TA. Some of them even do a bit of heavier lifting or kettle bells, etc while doing TA workouts. I had a theory that her method might work best for people who are already fairly muscular going into it, except that doesn't explain the VF'ers who only do that type of training or similar and have great results. Same with yoga, barre, eccentrics, bodyweight circuits, etc. I think there are different ways to accomplish the same thing and different people's bodies may respond differently. I think there are ways to explain the aesthetic benefits of one approach without criticizing other approaches.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 12:46 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Jessica Biel is into Crossfit. She doesn't look any different, to me.
http://www.shape.com/celebrities/cel...ossfit/slide/6

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, heavy weight training