Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-13, 04:08 PM  
Buttercup

Just FYI for all New Rules ladies: JP Fitness has several forums that are dedicated to NROL books, and Lou Schuler participates quite a bit. Find it here http://www.jpfitness.com/index.php/forum/index

The overall forum is interesting. I used to read it a lot, but it went through some growing pains, lost a lot of readership, could be coming back. A lot of personal trainers were posting there at one time.

But it does have a whole sub forum dedicated to each NROL book variation. I think they are on the 99th version, or something !
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 04:22 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I bought the Strong Curves book, and it has a lot of good things in it. However, I think the guy has a fetish.

One thing he does say is that your diet has to be spot on for the exercises to be effective. However, that's probably true of any exercise program that anyone would undertake.
Old 09-09-13, 06:41 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I bought the Strong Curves book, and it has a lot of good things in it. However, I think the guy has a fetish.
I didn't want to be the first to say it.

eta: thanks for the link Buttercup, I'll check it out!

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 06:49 AM  
Buttercup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Something is going on. I'm kinda glad, in a way, because my older sister got first dibs on the boobs in my family, so I've always been working on the glutes since implants aren't really an option for me.

I do wish he'd tone down some of the images he uses on his site, though. I've done some of his exercises at the small gym that is in my neighborhood (I walk to it and almost all the members are reside in my neighborhood). I never direct any of the women who ask me what I'm doing to his web site, cause sometimes he posts borderline pics, at least to me. I'm just not comfortable with directing my neighbors to his site. I know other women have brought it up to him in the comments pages but he says he won't change. Its a shame, cause I think he loses a chunk of his target audience, i.e. women who want a great lower half. Maybe to appeal to the men? But it's doubtful men are as concerned with glute training as women are, so they may look at the site but probably not buy his book.
Old 09-10-13, 06:51 AM  
Buttercup

Er, I didn't mean that I'm glad Bret has an obsession, but rather that men in general and my DH in particular, are attracted to different aspects of the female physique. Eh, I don't think any of either of these posts came out exactly how I meant it, so please excuse the clumsy wording.
Old 09-10-13, 08:30 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Er, I didn't mean that I'm glad Bret has an obsession, but rather that men in general and my DH in particular, are attracted to different aspects of the female physique. Eh, I don't think any of either of these posts came out exactly how I meant it, so please excuse the clumsy wording.
haha! I like it. It gives us freedom of interpretation

No, seriously. While it may be generally true that men are attracted to aspects of the female physique (that's what puts the A in T&A after all), what I found most interesting is that his obsession was piqued in high school, when his crush was exclaiming over a rival's butt. And bemoaning his own flat pancake butt, he went on a mission to have one a girl would gasp at. It's the funniest story in the book.

Best thing about the book is not having to stare at the figure competitor's butts in the sidebar of T-Nation (or his own site for that matter) where one would otherwise go to read his articles.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but he also talks a lot about the functional aspect of glute training and how it contributes to things like knee health. I can attest to that; it's the main reason I got the book, and yes those principles have been effective.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, glutes, strong curves