Old 09-06-13, 08:38 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

I do. What do you want to know?

MariaW
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-13, 09:01 PM  
Sophie

Here is a brief, earlier thread: Strong Curves which itself has a link to a discussion of the book: Weight Lifting Books.

My own update a few months later: I do like it, it's a style of lifting and workout programming that works well for me. After my summer break, I was trying to decide whether to do NROL4L or Strong Curves. They have more in common than they do differences, really, and I think I might have decided to do NROL because of the handy on-line workout logs and page references, which Strong Curves sadly lacks. But, I am incorporating the glute activation from SC into my NROL4L warmups, and will probably do Strong Curves after 3 months or so of NROL.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-13, 10:20 PM  
edensmom

I have it. I did one of the programs for a few weeks and got really bored. It isn't a matter of paper workouts either as I am doing a written program right now I really like. I do like the activation exercises. I really can feel my butt working and learned how to engage my glutes. My knees used to get sore sometimes and they never do now. The exercises can be found online though so I wouldn't get the book for it.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 08:24 AM  
bayportsmom

I read it, liked it, and have every intention of trying it......someday. I CANNOT force myself to do paper programs. So at the gym, you will still find me in Body Pump and RIPPED. I just can't stay away, they are so much fun.
bayportsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 09:11 AM  
Buttercup

I have it and highly recommend it. I've been adding the exercises to something else I've been doing. Yes, you could find the exercises on the internets, but its not all that costly and everything is in one book. I'm sort of lazy and like having it all in one place. You could just read his web site regularly and get a good idea of what to do. Though he gives a lot of info on prioritizing your glute work and activation drills, etc.

I do think it is lacking in cross referencing the exercises in the program (I wrote in the page numbers on my book, I know, I'm such a rebel ) and it could use some better work out log templates.

Does it work? Judging by the feedback from DH I'd have to say "Heck, yeah!" since the butt comments have gone up exponentially since I started (hope that isn't too TMI).
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 04:42 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Here is a brief, earlier thread: Strong Curves which itself has a link to a discussion of the book: Weight Lifting Books.

My own update a few months later: I do like it, it's a style of lifting and workout programming that works well for me. After my summer break, I was trying to decide whether to do NROL4L or Strong Curves. They have more in common than they do differences, really, and I think I might have decided to do NROL because of the handy on-line workout logs and page references, which Strong Curves sadly lacks. But, I am incorporating the glute activation from SC into my NROL4L warmups, and will probably do Strong Curves after 3 months or so of NROL.
Where are the NROL online workout logs? I'd love to use those.
Old 09-07-13, 05:04 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

There's a link to a pdf of the Strong Curves book on this page. It's in the article. Don't click on the book cover. Scroll down.

http://bretcontreras.com/strong-curv...tion-giveaway/
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 07:20 PM  
tamib

I've been doing the bodyweight at home program from the book for almost 4 weeks and I may see some lifting, but my diet has been horrible so it's hard to judge. I am struggling on most of the exercises.
It would have been nice if he would have cross referenced things a little more.
One part I haven't done is the foam rolling, it's so painful I skip it.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 04:52 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Where are the NROL online workout logs? I'd love to use those.
I got the link from Sue B on one of the above threads :

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/...g-for-life.pdf

and if you want the other NROL logs, they're here:

http://werkit.com/programs/nrol

I wish Bret's book was better organized, like the NROL books. Like others, I've ended up writing page numbers in mine, and sticky-tabbed it so it looks like a textbook

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, glutes, strong curves