Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-13, 05:29 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Smile

also, instead of adding weights, you could lift one leg to add increased bodyweight to same pelvic bridge lifts.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 06:09 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Kathy Smith's Great Buns and Thighs has hip thrusts toward the end.

When I do paper workouts at home, I put a strength workout on the TV - one with good music, like Cathe's PS - just as background noise. I tried watching regular TV shows while working out but that didn't work; I was too distracted.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 07:12 AM  
casey

I thought about Firm volume 1 right away, plus volume 3. Tonique has glute bridges unweighted but I am crying during those reps and I would never consider adding weights because they are hard enough. She even has you use your outstretched leg like a lever as you move it like a windshield wiper from side to side as you lift and lower your glutes. She does regular glute bridges, along with variations with pulses and full raises etc. They are on her original Mat workout, the On the Back segment, 30 minutes. They are on her new workout, Born to Move, Energy Mat, and on CardioMat, as well. Your butt will be crying, I guarantee it. I tell my television Sylwia that she is a crazy lady partway through, every time, even though I love her. She looks too happy and cute doing them in Born to Move, while I am suffering and sweating.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 08:53 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
. Tonique has glute bridges unweighted but I am crying during those reps and I would never consider adding weights because they are hard enough.
Casey, when Alta asked this question over at the weightlifting books thread, I immediately thought the same thing - despite all the bridges in Tonique, I would never in a million years add weights to them, because of all the reps.

Alta, where you specifically looking for a certain rep range that would fit in with the Strong Curves program? Or would you be OK adapting the rep range in the video to make it feasible to add weight?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 08:57 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

I'm pretty sure Classic Firms 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 have bridgework.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 11:12 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the suggestions! VFers are the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Alta, where you specifically looking for a certain rep range that would fit in with the Strong Curves program? Or would you be OK adapting the rep range in the video to make it feasible to add weight?
Sophie, I have kind of gone off Brett's book. (I'll admit that the begging for reviews at Amazon put me off. And reading some of his articles. And watching some of his videos on YouTube). He somehow creeps me out.

I'd rather just do them with a video and modify the weights and reps.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 11:38 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Sophie, I have kind of gone off Brett's book. (I'll admit that the begging for reviews at Amazon put me off. And reading some of his articles. And watching some of his videos on YouTube). He somehow creeps me out.

I'd rather just do them with a video and modify the weights and reps.
Aw, that's too bad. I don't feel the same way but can see how it might happen (I haven't watched his stuff on YouTube so maybe I just...shouldn't).

The good news is that you have plenty of suggestions to work with!

eta: it seems there are many, many many options for glute raises or bridge work, but only Cathe's Xtrain has actual hip thrusts, where the shoulder blades are on a step or bench rather than on the floor?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 11:51 AM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Firm Parts: Lower Body Sculpting with Kathy Derry has several sets. It's available from Fitness Favorites or Mary. 20 minute workout, good add-on.
I just got this one from Mary as a last-minute addition to my order, now I'm looking forward to trying it!

As for Firms that have weighted glute work, aside from the Classics that have already been mentioned, Hare, Firm Cardio, Lower Body Split, Lower Body Sculpt II, and Complete Body Sculpting are the only ones I can think of. Several have unweighted glute work that I always add weights to anyway - Tortoise, Maximum Body Shaping, and Aerobic Body Shaping.

For some reason it seemed like there were more Firm workouts that had this...
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 12:24 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I also thought of the Firm workouts right away.

I also agree that Sylwia doesn't use weights but she does so many reps that you wouldn't want to add weights.
Old 04-23-13, 03:22 PM  
Buttercup

I would look to add weight and lower the rep range on some of the glute bridges. This should be fairly easy to do in a section that has glute bridges since without weight most instructors will go for high reps. You can lift quite a bit of weight in a glute bridge because you have shortened range of motion and more leverage.

I'd look to do some weighted and some body weight glute bridges for maximum reps. It seems that the glutes will respond to both types of stimulus.

Try single leg hip thrusts with only your body weight. Like Sophie says, hip thrusts involve elevating your shoulders on a step or you could even use a bed or coffee table. When you go to the bottom you have a greater range of motion than a bridge. I max out at only 20 reps per side on the single leg hip thrust compared to single leg glute bridges, where I can manage more like 30-40. The range of motion slays me.

You could try reading this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...glute_training Contreras goes into great detail about glute activation. According to him, a body weight leg extension recruits more glute fibers than a 1 rep maxium squat. But, be warned, the article was published on T-Nation which will surely offend the sensibilities, though I thought Contrersas' article was fairly tame by that site's standards. I hardly go to T-Nation, but I will when a trainer I'm interested posts something. I just brace myself that it is the Maxim of fitness websites. At least its not the Hustler of fitness websites!

Contreras asking for reviews was fairly mild, in my opinion. In fact, Rachel Cosgrove just emailed a request to purchase and review her book, which I found pretty mild, too. If you really want to get in high dungeon over someone being a book-review/buy-my-book hound, sign up for John Romaniello's blog and he will bomb you with requests about his new book! Romaniello has taken the Tim Ferriss/Tucker Max social media bombing to heart, I guess. I was inundated with every kind of pleading, begging and offer to buy his book.

I haven't really seen anything on Contreras' youtube stuff that offends me, and I'm one to not go to BodyRock because I find it pretty tacky (unlike Zuzana's own site, which is much better). But, to each his own.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, firm it up, glutes, gym style legs, strong curves, triple threat, weighted glute bridges, weighted hip thrusts