Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-12, 04:35 PM  
Tugger31

Question Horiz Conditioning Question

I'm interested in Volumes 1-4. I'm not sure I want to get all 4, as I'm wondering if there's alot of overlap btwn moves. If I were to get 1 or 2 which would you choose and why? Which one uses the most equipment? Do they all equally work upper/lower/ and core??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 06:13 PM  
marmact

My favorites were originally 1 and 3, but now they are 3 and 4. I don't have the equipment breakdown in front of me, but you can find the list on the Fuel + Fitness site. Warning: 4 is pretty hard but I prefer workouts that are challenging like that. 3 is about perfect as a total-body workout, to me.

The workouts are all surprisingly different, even though you think there would only be a limited number of ways to work horizontally - Sandra K is very creative.
Old 08-29-12, 06:37 PM  
Tugger31

I watched the clips for Vol 4 wondering if I'd be falling off my stability ball the entire time! You say Vol 3 seems the perfect total body workout, do you feel Vol 1 and/or 2 focus on one body part more than another? Sorry for all the questions!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 07:00 PM  
momof10

All of the Volumes have their own special feel. These workouts are so hard to explain. I have done all the Volumes and Bootcamp numerous times. I have also done all the Hardcore and 101s she has filmed so far and they all have their own feel. The moves are quite similar, but then again they are different. Volume 1 and Volume 2 are the shortest and easier than Volume 4 and Bootcamp. Volume 1 has some great Glute & Hamstring work, but she also uses the upper body and the core quite a bit. She incorporates the body bar and the step with this one. Volume 2 uses the step and the gliders. She does side planks with scissor legs while your feet are on gliders. She does walking planks across the step, more Glute & Hamstring moves. Volume 3 seems to me to be core/oblique intensive. Volume 4 is all on the ball, while using the step. If you aren't used to the ball, you may teeter and fall on occasion, but that will all get better.

Bootcamp is the longest one of the group coming in at 67 minutes. This one she does one minute intervals of plyos/high impact Cardio and then plank/core work.

Do you need all of these? No, you don't need them all. Did I need them all? No, I didn't need them all, either. I wanted them all and haven't regretted it for a minute. HC are the best workouts I have ever had and plan to incorporate them into my rotation for years to come.

Cheryl
Old 08-30-12, 01:08 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

I'm notoriously stingy when it comes to buying new workouts generally. I try to buy only what I know I have time to use.

Having said that, I jumped right in with the 4 Volumes and Bootcamp, used them for 2 months and just recently split the 101's (6 for each of us) with another VFer.

I have to say that I am glad to have all of them. They are all different from each other in some way. I use them in addition to my traditional strength work. I fit them in by skipping the w/u and c/d from the Volumes and letting my HC workouts count as my ab/core work. It's worked great for me so far.

I think 3 and 4 are the toughest of the Volumes and BC is killer especially at the end.

I've only done one of the 101's so far so I can't speak to the difference among those. One thing to consider is the time you have to do them.

The 101s don't have a w/u or c/d and are around 30 min long. So if you are someone compelled to do an entire workout as filmed these are a good way to go! The Volumes all clock in between 45 and 65 minutes including the w/u and c/d.

They are great workouts IMO! Good luck choosing.
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 01:12 PM  
Hazel Porter

How long are these?
Old 08-30-12, 01:53 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
How long are these?
Hazel, the original V1-4, Bootcamp are 45min to an hour (Bootcamp is 1:07). I started with the "Getting Started" workout which is 3-10 minute sessions. Very straightforward, but there is something about her core work that makes me cry. And you know how much I truly LOVE to do core work. I did Vol 1 for the first time on Monday and I'm still pleasantly sore all over, but seriously sore in crazy places in my abs - as if they have never been touched before. The muscles around my ribs are sore. Seriously, what's up with that???? I had sweat pouring off of me and I had to take breaks. I never take breaks!!!!!!!

It's not a snazzy production - it's Sandra in her studio (bright and sunny - too sunny I think at times!), with two other people. Everyone is wearing a ball cap and looks slightly dorky. There were no hair and make up people, Sandra's hair is curling out funny on one side. But she cues well and she's so damn sweet and cute with her little southern accent that it's impossible to hate her, even though you really want to. Full body workouts but every move has a core angle to it, so your abs are on fire the whole time really, and even more so when she's actually on a core specific move. I seriously feel like I have every really good core focused workout that exists out there, yet she has some moves on here that I've never seen before. Nothing weird, just a minor twist on a tried and true that makes it REALLY effective. Or holding you in side plank until you really think you will pass out. That kinda stuff. She's got a volume discount on her site when you get a bundle, plus there is a VF discount code floating around somewhere. Or wait until your b'day and a little fairy will hook you up.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 02:16 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
It's not a snazzy production - it's Sandra in her studio (bright and sunny - too sunny I think at times!), with two other people. Everyone is wearing a ball cap and looks slightly dorky. There were no hair and make up people, Sandra's hair is curling out funny on one side. But she cues well and she's so damn sweet and cute with her little southern accent that it's impossible to hate her, even though you really want to.
Hmph - I come awfully close sometimes. But man, I LOVE how my body is changing with these.
Old 08-30-12, 03:21 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Hmph - I come awfully close sometimes. But man, I LOVE how my body is changing with these.
Hehe.... I hear ya! You know I've only done Vol1, which is relatively easy. Perhaps by the time I get to Bootcamp I'll be able to feel the hate.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 03:38 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Hehe.... I hear ya! You know I've only done Vol1, which is relatively easy. Perhaps by the time I get to Bootcamp I'll be able to feel the hate.
No, once you get to Bootcamp, you will be so in love, you will be scrambling to get the Hardcore ones as well as the 101s. That's what I did. The more challenging the workouts became, the more in love with them I became. It was like I had found my one true love. The best thing about these workouts is no matter how many of them you have, they all have their own uniqueness.

Cheryl