Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-23-22, 07:56 AM  
Twigs

Hello everyone!

Yesterday's workouts:
- Jessica's Total Body with Band
- Jessica's Fusion Flow Bonus Pilates Ball Core - quite easy with just one harder exercise at the end (dolphin plank).
- Sandra's Somatics Daily Stretch
- Nice walk to our local fishponds

This morning was:
- Jessica's Total Body Strength - lots of work for the butt. I'm sure it was good for me!
- Jessica's Split Strength Core Bonus. I liked the work for the back body but was underwhelmed with the rest of the workout.

Sorry for the quick post and run but my eye is getting worse and looking at the screen isn't helping. I have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow, so will hopefully find out more.

Waves to all! Enjoy your vacation Cyana.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 09:06 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy Moan Day! Good morning everyone. We lucked out, having nice shore breezes protected us from the weekend heatwave. It was muggy but nice. I managed:

~ Lee Holden 30 Day Challenge - Day 22
~ Winsor Power Sculpt Basics
~ 4,209 steps

Margot, sending hugs and prayers for your eye.

Cyana, it must have been so soothing to just rest and hear the rain on the roof. You are brave to give a cat a bath! Thank you for the falcon cam! I visited my nest yesterday and saw what could have been chick feeding behavior, but it could also have just been fussy rearranging of the nesting materials. A toilet in the reefs. SMH

Sandra, that's too bad about the quat-centric Jessica.

Have a great day, everyone!!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 10:39 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Body Electric Perfect 10 (upper body work plus calves)

Beth, hope your office move goes smoothly!

Cyana, no I haven't tried any of the Fillo's prepared beans-- I bet they taste good! I don't add salt or oil in my beans when I cook them because I prefer the taste of food in its natural state (yeah, I'm boring!). If I don't have any cooked beans, I will open a can of Eden (no-salt/oil) beans. I use canned Eden garbanzo beans when I make my hummus. Now I want some of your coleslaw!

Margo, I hope your eye resolves soon.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 11:54 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning mat mavens!

Margot - I hope your eye is okay, sending ((((hugs))).

Cyana - Enjoy your week off! We almost always have onshore winds. They do moderate our temps, usually a bit lower in the summer & a bit higher in the winter than inland. It’s one reason we rarely get frost and snow. I don’t have the short MELT roller. I can see instances where it might be more convenient than the long one, but I don’t think it’s necessary. I’ve neglected MELT with being so focused on my hip strength stuff and stretching. Yesterdays MELTing in combo with some acupressure sure felt good! I used a Petrone ball for acupressure on my quads, psoas, & glutes. It felt so good! I’ve also been using my massage gun on my quads and adductors. In any case, I am sooooo much better than I was a few months ago!

Beth - I hope the move goes well! Mind Body Brew sounds so fun! We enjoy a nice craft beer. When we were out yesterday, I had a peach apricot Hefeweizen.

Sandra - I’m going to do the Upper Body from Split Sessions today. I quickly previewed it earlier and I see some push-ups which I’ll need to modify to the barre. Jessica does like squats! I’m planning on doing the lower body session on Friday, will see how it goes. I’m usually okay with squats if I don’t go too deep.

Cyana & Sandra - I also can’t imagine bathing a cat! I would think you’d need protective clothing, lol. I worked at a grooming shop many years ago & one of the groomers would occasionally bath & groom show cats. They were quite docile as I expect they were used to it since they were kittens.

Paine & Cyana- We eat a lot of legumes as we move more towards including more plant based meals. Hummus is a staple and I’ve experimented with different flavours, dill pickle is a fave. I make a lot of veggie curries but I’m trying branch out with different flavours & ingredients. This weekend I made a white bean, barley, vegetable stew in my IP. I flavoured it with a bouquet garni of herbs from the garden, thyme, rosemary, & sage.

Pat - Ugh, what is wrong with people indeed! I hate littering, it’s so disrespectful!

Back later with my workouts!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 01:12 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I just got back from a neighborhood walk with my grandson. I found out that there is a feature on my iPhone where I can take a picture of a flower, or plant or tree and then my iPhone will identify what it's called! This helps both my grandson and I to learn the names of various flowers/plants/trees.

Pam, your white bean, barley, vegetable stew sounds delicious!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 01:25 PM  
cyana

DH and I decided to go ahead and schedule a vet appointment for the cat, so he's being seen on Wednesday afternoon. In the meantime, we made a run to PetCo and purchased a flea comb to see if that helps (and to see if we find any fleas). Stay tuned for the next episode of "Humans Committing Unspeakable Acts On a Critter with Sharp Teeth and Claws". He hates the Furminator and will only tolerate being brushed for short periods, so this will likely not be fun (as in, I'd rather be in charge of bathing the cat!).

I found another new YT channel that I wanted to share - Feldenkrais with Taro Iwamoto (new to me, at least). He has multiple hip videos (right up my alley), neck and shoulder, feet, etc. All of the videos I've seen so far are under 15 minutes and many under 10. How to Release Psoas (Hip Flexors) & Adductors Instant Without Stretching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP1VNeRiAp0&t=0s . How to Release Psoas (Hip Flexors & Adductors Instantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sb2gQnKhgM . Hip Mobility Routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smb9kEi3-Bs . Foot Awareness and Balance Exercise/Stretch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWMjU9eeHnI . 5 Minutes Gentle Morning Stretching Routines in Bed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shm7RZ_CskQ . The foot routine looks like it would be great to do just prior to going to bed. I've been doing stretching before I get out of the bed in the mornings recently, and it seems to reduce the stiffness and discomfort, so I'll keep plugging away.

Pam - I haven't felt it necessary to purchase the short roller - at least not yet. I thought about it yesterday when I was watching one of the P.T. videos where Margaret was doing calf raises on a short half roller (the OTP, if I had to guess). I'm so happy to hear you're continuing to have a happy hip.

Pam and Paine - Dill pickle hummus? Do you have a recipe to share? I did a search and found several on line. That sounds like it would be a nice change of pace. Sometimes in the summer, I'll load up my bamboo cutting board with a colorful assortment of fresh veggies cut into bite-sized pieces and we'll have that with hummus for dinner. You could toss some cheese and/or nuts on there if you wanted some heartier additions while keeping it meat-free.

Margot - Keeping my fingers crossed that you get a definitive diagnosis and plan of treatment tomorrow with a 100% recovery. ((Hugs))

Sandra - I forgot to mention earlier, it looks like your massage gun has a really nice and extensive variety of attachments.

Pat - It isn't like that toilet just randomly fell off the back of someone's boat in rough water!

Paine - My SIL uses that iPhone feature to identify items that are being sold at estate sales with typical prices. That was the first time I'd seen it.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 07:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi everyone - thanks for the goodwill about my move! It went off fine. It took awhile - the movers showed up in the other building about 8:20 (to move my co-worker to my now old-office), but they didn't make it to my (old) office until around 10:30 or so. I left when they were packing up the main things, and then didn't start bringing my stuff over to my current office until around 1 pm. But, they got everything in, and I got my computer set up plus a few other things. l can't do everything since the office is being painted next week, so I have to leave everything out from the walls and can't hang anything.

Paine, how cool for you & your grandson! Is that a default feature on the iphone? I've seen an app like that advertised. I know my iphone does have a built-in feature that recognizes songs - I actually tried it for the first time when we went to the book sale a couple of weeks ago.

Pam, I've never been that into beer (despite two of DH's brothers-in-law owning a local craft brewery), and I don't like heavy, hoppy beers. Since we started doing the classes, however, I've discovered that I really like sours plus some other types I'd never heard of (like saison). Glad to hear you are continuing to heal.

cyana, I hope you enjoy your week! Hope your kitty is okay (and you too after the vet visit). So funny that you linked to the Feldenkrais channel - it showed up on my YouTube feed today, before I even clicked on your link!

Pat, is there an osprey cam again this year?

Margot, so sorry about your eye; good luck tomorrow!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 09:27 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: Had a very busy day and was tired, so only did the Release segment from Jessica Smith's Stretch + Relax. I liked this one a lot, and expect to use it regularly.

Yogapam: Looking forward to your thoughts on the Upper Body routine from Split Sessions! I do my pushups on a barre also. Re squats, I know they are important and I do them, but not forever like Jessica does in Split Sessions.

Margot: Yes, "underwhelming" describes the Bonus Core in Split Sessions.

Cyana: My short-haired cat really likes the flea comb. However, my long-haired cat hates any kind of brushing.

Beth: Glad the move went well!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 10:20 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays workouts:
~BellyFit: Seeds of Sustenance - A nice 20 min BF Sage. Essentrics & BF are a great way to get warmed up for strength work.
~Jessica’s Split Sessions: Upper Body - I liked this one a lot & I did modify the wrist intensive moves. It was challenging but very doable. I switched weights a few times, sometimes going heavier, sometimes lighter.
ETA There wasn't any targeted ab work, but many of the exercises definitely engaged the core.
~Neighbourhood walk
~Recovery: hip & quad acupressure, intense shoulder stretches, hip & leg stretches, half saddle, finished with supported fish

Sandra - I plan to do Split Session lower body later in the week & will be sure to post my thoughts.

Beth - Glad the move went well! I also enjoy a saison and a sour if it’s not too sour, lol. I like a light citrusy hoppy beer, but pass on the heavy ones.

Cyana - Thanks for the links, I’ll check them out. Good luck with the flea situation!

Paine - How fun to look at flowers and plants with your grandson!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-22, 08:50 AM  
cyana

My cat has fleas! I must say, they managed to hide themselves well, as I'd been checking him every day. I combed out several dozen fleas with the flea comb and promptly drowned them in soapy water. I must admit, that was somewhat therapeutic (meaning drowning the fleas, but perhaps I shouldn't admit that, LOL! Does that make me a mass murderer????? ). We gave the cat another bath, and it would be accurate to say there was a massive lack of enthusiasm on his part. Then, I spent an agonizing amount of time catching fleas that jumped off the cat in the bathroom and putting them in the jar of soapy water.

Today, The Raccoon Man is supposed to come out and start doing his thing, so I'm not sure when I'll get my work-out in. I wish he'd go ahead and show up. DH has to work this afternoon, and at some point, Raccoon Man will need to come inside and do some stuff in the attic, so I have to be available for that. And I'm sure he would like to be paid when he gets finished.

I had massive insomnia last night, so I'm about to face plant on the keyboard.

When I pulled up YT this AM, this link was on my home page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zFEppGYEKA . Bob, from Bob and Brad, has been diagnosed with ataxia, and it is affecting his balance and speech. Fortunately, it doesn't affect his cognition. They ruled out other conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease, Parkinson's, etc. He's going to keep doing videos, but it makes me sad that apparently some viewers of recent videos questioned whether he was intoxicated. Fortunately, one of his daughters is an SLP (speech language pathologist), and she is going to work with him on his speech and they all agreed it would be beneficial for him to continue to make videos. Keep Bob in your thoughts - I've learned so much from Bob and Brad over the years and wish him the best.

Hope to be back with a work-out that doesn't involve fleas later!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote