Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-22, 06:50 PM  
DCW

I like that it is a small grocery store. I can stop after work and get exactly what I need without getting in a mini walkathon. I can buy the food i need in a few minutes. Our major grocery stores are so big that i dont go in because of the time it takes for a few items.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 10:39 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks, everyone!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 12:30 PM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Almond Milk, bags of spinach, pink lady apples, almond butter, jarred indian sauces, 3 pack of colored bell peppers, hummus, kombucha, quinoa crunch veggie burgers, feta cheese...I just went to Aldi earlier today and these are staples I buy there. Some items are not good. I don't like their kalamata olives, their bananas are weird (green but spoiled at the same time?), and my dh doesn't like their beef (I don't eat beef so I can't comment on quality.) Oh, they often have unique cheeses that are usually very good. They have a variety of nice German mustards and of course the belgian chocolate is fantastic.
I like my staples from there too. Wendy, we have lots of the same staples! I agree their kalamata olives are bad! And I buy their Almond Milk often for shakes and smoothies. Also a lot of their Gluten Free foods are good - I don't buy any bread (for me), but I love their Live G Free Cinnamon/Raisin English Muffins!

I also like the packaged salads they carry - different kinds and even include salad dressing, toppings and a plastic fork! Very reasonably priced (can't remember how much right now but know it's cheaper than Walmart's packaged salads). The lettuce always seems fresh and are great for grabbing on the go. I also love their chocolate and got my mom hooked on it! Let's not forget their Artic Bars - vanilla ice cream with chocolate coating. Just as good as Klondike bars but way cheaper. Those have preference now in my freezer in place of my Magnum bars, LOL, for a summer treat.

But I think I've found something non-edible there more often than the edible goodies! They have so much variety...even fitness stuff. I did love their yearly planners, but since this year's came out in MARCH(!), I got tired of waiting so I'm done buying them there.

I'm not sure you're familiar with the Deal Guy, but he has a YT channel that he reviews things from stores like Aldi's, Sam's, Target, etc. He is so funny and of the things I've tried, he's right on target!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXLi9-RXaXQ
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 01:02 PM  
JENILU

Oh goodness I love everything there!! It is such a treat when we get to go. Their fresh veggies are a lot better than our grocery store- and a lot better priced. thanks to Sherry I started buying coffee there when I can because they have flavors I love. (I gave up buying cheese there as well. Not usually a good experience). I get my nuts and oils better priced there. Some meats are well priced (mostly thinking of the sausages). I also buy their unsweetened almond milk - or coconut milk when they have it. They also (sometimes in tub and sometimes in bottle) have sugar free coconut whipped topping!! Then just all the fun goodies they have (non food and food/chocolate, etc..).
I like the prices of their large cans of soup, etc, but they are a little on the thin side. If nothing else tho, worth it for the fresh food!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 01:05 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Nothing! My Aldi is terrible. Produce is always halfway to compost - you can see the mud in the salad bags, etc. Happy for those who have good experiences, though.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 03:00 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I regularly buy the following...

Unsweetened Almond Milk
packaged Spinach
grape tomatoes
multi-colored peppers
oats and flax instant oatmeal
maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal
low sodium chicken broth, chicken stock, beef stock, vegetable stock
frozen blueberries
frozen fine cut green beans
frozen chicken breasts (quality is just so-so, though.)
mixed berry Greek yogurt
can diced tomato and green chili
canned soup (Split Pea)
canned diced tomato roasted

Favorites are...
Verde Salsa...excellent!
Medium Salsa (jar)
Mild Salsa (jar)
Restaurant style salsa (Casa Mamita)
Korma Indian sauce
Tikka Masala Indian sauce
Feta cheese crumbles
Fruit and Nut trail mix bars
Trail mix...salty & sweet, and peanut, cranberry & almond
Fig bars
Roasted Garlic and Sea Salt lattice cut kettle chips...so good!
Ginger Ale cans (Faygo?)
Belmont Ice cream...any flavor is good, even the low fat stuff!
Tuscan Garden Italian salad dressing
Tuscan Garden Balsamic vinaigrette dressing
Belgium chocolate bars
Lemon shortbread cookies
Black Forest Juicy Burst fruit candies

From this list you can tell I'm a bit of a junk food junkie.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 03:23 PM  
Erica H.

What about things like their breads and bagels, salty snacks (crackers, tortilla chips, potato chips,pretzels), cookies and snack cakes... My adult kids and their SOs are coming next month and I'd love to stock up at Aldi if the products taste good.

Pam61 - LOVE your list! That's helpful for the upcoming visit.

Thanks to everyone for your input. DH and I went today (haven't been there in years) and some of the products looked really good.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 03:43 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
What about things like their breads and bagels, salty snacks (crackers, tortilla chips, potato chips,pretzels), cookies and snack cakes... My adult kids and their SOs are coming next month and I'd love to stock up at Aldi if the products taste good.

Pam61 - LOVE your list! That's helpful for the upcoming visit.

Thanks to everyone for your input. DH and I went today (haven't been there in years) and some of the products looked really good.

Erica
I don't know personally, but my son loves their snack goodies. Hubby loves their dark chocolate and "veggie chips" - which we all know aren't really veggie chips but the name makes him feel better and they taste good, lol. I've noticed stress has a lot more to do with health than the actual foods sometimes, so I am letting it go, lol. IMO their salty stuff is really good

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 04:43 PM  
T2B

My Aldi’s is great. I love the fresh fruit and vegetables.

For meats, I typically shop the sale items.

Specialty Selected Square Sourdough Loaf - this is my favorite bread for sandwiches. One slice will fill you right up (sliced in half and toasted). I try to keep at least 1 loaf in the freezer at all times. This is good for making little personal pizzas, too! The Brioche buns are good too but I don’t buy these often.

I love the Habanero & Chipotle sliced cheeses, in the dairy aisle.

Chicken tenders (frozen and in the refrigerated aisle).

I also like the deli sliced mesquite turkey, rotisserie turkey & smoked ham.

Canned black beans, diced tomatoes, pinto beans ( I go through a lot of these)

I buy the big bag of jasmine rice.

I love the Pepperoni flatbread pizzas.

I like the boxed chicken and beef broths.

As far as snacks, I like the BBQ Potato Chips (sweet/salty mixture). Some weeks I buy the chips and the mixture of salty/sweet is perfect, other times, not so much).

The only snack that I tried and didn’t like was Aldi’s version of Cheez It’s! I love Cheez It’s and nothing compares to the original. .

I stopped buying the dark chocolate because I was eating too much of it. One brand is better than the other, can’t remember which brand because it’s been at least 6 months since I last bought it.

I find that a lot of the seasonal items, like crab or lobster stuffed ravoli’s, are really good.

I make quick trips for just fruit/veggies or for sale items.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 01:11 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2B View Post
My Aldi’s is great.

The only snack that I tried and didn’t like was Aldi’s version of Cheez It’s! I love Cheez It’s and nothing compares to the original. .
Agree that these are pretty awful. The flavor is so bland, and doesn't compare to the real thing.

I don't care for Aldi's Cheetos version, either. They taste like you're eating grass. I can't quite explain it, but they are nothing like the original either.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aldi, aldis