Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-28-21, 10:40 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Day 4 * 7/25, Sunday .... Joyn: "Rest as Resistance: A Restorative Snack" (Kate Mosher)

This was a slow guided exploration of mainly three things over around 17 minutes: legs up the wall, butterfly against the wall, and a bridge against the wall. One of them (or maybe the combination) seems to have helped with something in my legs, and I should be trying them again soon (whether with this video or not) to see if I can repeat that feeling.

Day 5 * 7/26, Monday .... Joyn: "Ease the Burnout: Chair Flow for ALL" (Kate Mosher)

This chair set (around 15 minutes) had a number of different movements, including some with a strap (which I didn't then have, though I was able to do the movements while pretending to have one ). Although floor adaptations aren't openly discussed, these movements can be adapted for the floor as well.

One feature of it was a version of lion's breath done both before and after everything else, in part as a means of comparison. (It was labeled pranayama, including the word on-screen once. I understand that it's called pranayama elsewhere, though more often I've seen it not explicitly identified as pranayama, especially when the face movements are emphasized and the breathing isn't.)

From this and other videos, I'm thinking more about building at least a mental list of possible movements to try at other times.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 01:02 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mell View Post
I'm in - trying to get in more daily movement

30 DAY MOVEMENT CHALLENGE | Mobility Training & Injury Prevention

July 24 - MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 1 arm circles, trunk circles & basic squats

July 25 - MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 2 swimmers, side bends & hip circles

July 26 - MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 3 cuban rotations; windmills & standing hydrants

July 27 - MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 4 egyptian, jefferson curl & squat to pike

July 28 - MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 5 infinity swimmers, wolf stretches & ninja squats

July 29 - MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 6 squat rotations, single leg rdl & wrist push ups

July 30 - MOVEMENT CHALLENGE - Day 7 90/90 hip stretch, bird dog & twisting bear

Mell, is this is a series on YouTube or is it a paper challenge or what? Thanks!

I didn't get my yoga in yesterday. I hurt my calf while jumping rope to the point where I couldn't push through to finish the workout. I did a standing arms workout after that and my calf still hurt so I just called it a day. Of course, the rest of my body didn't appreciate the lack of stretch after the workouts! I took it easy the rest of the evening/night with my leg elevated and didn't even walk Cyric. Considering the horrible heat and humidity, though, we wouldn't have walked far anyway.

Today is really goofy bc we didn't get a morning walk before the heat bc of thunderstorms then I had a chiropractor appt and the baseball game is an afternoon game so I've done pretty much nothing today but unload and reload the dishwasher!

Oh, Beth, I bought a 35 lb kettlebell today!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 01:26 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, so cool about your new KB! I'm still using my 12 kg, but I now use it for one-hand and hand-to-hand swings too rather than dropping down to my 8 kg.

Henry, that rest practice sounds really nice. I would consider lion's breath pranayama, although it's different from some other types in that it's usually done for only a few rounds, not for a longer period.

I went to yoga class with my friend Carol today. I'll update my thread above.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 10:53 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Mell, is this is a series on YouTube or is it a paper challenge or what? Thanks!
I was wondering about the source of Mobility Training & Injury Prevention Exercises 30 Day Challenge, also.

If I have the correct one, it seems to be Human 2.0 Fitness on YouTube.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 10:59 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Beth,

your YouTube Yoga looks wonderful! I can't believe you wear glasses while practicing yoga, too! But you are so adorable!

I was checking out the recent chair practice, but haven't tried it yet. With my current Challenge Check-in, I have to do 20 Different Yoga Instructors each day. And, they have to be new-to-me, so your yoga would fit the bill! I think my choice would be a Yin practice, so I'll look to see what you have available!

Thank you!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 07:47 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Day 6 * 7/27, Tuesday ... YogiBethC: YOGA CLASS FOR LAZY DAYS | Slow Gentle Floor Yoga | Gray Day Yoga

I did this on my bed, which as usual already had a blanket on it. Until circumstances change, I'll be continuing doing things that are more adaptable than other things for places like a chair or a bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Yes, I probably made comments myself about the production values of my videos! Compared to some of the other beautiful sets you see on YouTube, my own "set" is just my basement workout room. I did find a way to improve the audio and got myself a box light, so the videos I've done in the past 6 months or so are somewhat improved (in terms of sound/lighting) versus the older ones.
You may be amused to read that I wasn't watching for most of the video and instead was listening to your cuing--I've noticed that I prefer to do some "freeform" activities with only minimal looking at a screen, if only because the act of looking shifts my head and neck more than I'd like. The chair activities were more directed in physical orientation (I didn't leave the chair and propped my phone in a suitable place), and so was the first thing that I did on my bed (various poses with legs somewhere on the wall, such that I wasn't moving much otherwise). Here, though, I found myself oriented in a few different directions, such that looking at my phone would've added some "extraneous" movement. Although I didn't preview or review and therefore don't know if what I did all fit within your authorial intent, I did enjoy and benefit from what I did!

Even if you weren't participating here, I'd try your videos anyway because, I did notice, you use cuing that allows for different possibilities. This sort of cuing--whatever it's called--also appears in the Joyn videos in my list.

My body has some unusual proportions, and I've been wondering if I'll find some specific benefits sometime from this style of cuing. (My torso is unusually long, and my limbs are a bit short for my height.)

One of my belated posts that will appear on General Discussion someday, so I hope, concerns some related cuing guidelines that came from a certain instructor: you had named four guidelines about cuing, and this planned post is the result of searching for those phrases. The search led me to an article on the Yoga International site.

I hope to post more later about pranayama.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 09:38 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
your YouTube Yoga looks wonderful! I can't believe you wear glasses while practicing yoga, too! But you are so adorable!
I was checking out the recent chair practice, but haven't tried it yet. With my current Challenge Check-in, I have to do 20 Different Yoga Instructors each day. And, they have to be new-to-me, so your yoga would fit the bill! I think my choice would be a Yin practice, so I'll look to see what you have available!
Aww, Pam, I'd be honored to be one of your 20 instructors! I do wear my glasses when I teach yoga (both on camera and in person), but I actually don't when I practice on my own. I don't have many yin videos (I love yin but find it a bit harder to film), but I filmed this one recently called "Staycation Yoga Stretch" that is yin-inspired and uses a chair as a prop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POwZ...nnel=YogiBethC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Day 6 * 7/27, Tuesday ... YogiBethC: YOGA CLASS FOR LAZY DAYS | Slow Gentle Floor Yoga | Gray Day Yoga

I did this on my bed, which as usual already had a blanket on it. Until circumstances change, I'll be continuing doing things that are more adaptable than other things for places like a chair or a bed.

You may be amused to read that I wasn't watching for most of the video and instead was listening to your cuing--I've noticed that I prefer to do some "freeform" activities with only minimal looking at a screen, if only because the act of looking shifts my head and neck more than I'd like. The chair activities were more directed in physical orientation (I didn't leave the chair and propped my phone in a suitable place), and so was the first thing that I did on my bed (various poses with legs somewhere on the wall, such that I wasn't moving much otherwise). Here, though, I found myself oriented in a few different directions, such that looking at my phone would've added some "extraneous" movement. Although I didn't preview or review and therefore don't know if what I did all fit within your authorial intent, I did enjoy and benefit from what I did!

Even if you weren't participating here, I'd try your videos anyway because, I did notice, you use cuing that allows for different possibilities. This sort of cuing--whatever it's called--also appears in the Joyn videos in my list.

My body has some unusual proportions, and I've been wondering if I'll find some specific benefits sometime from this style of cuing. (My torso is unusually long, and my limbs are a bit short for my height.)
Henry, I am glad you enjoyed this practice. Like you, when I'm doing a video practice, I often am mainly listening and hardly ever looking at the screen. I'm very interested to hear more regarding what specifically about my cuing worked for you. Some of my goals for cuing including giving students agency for adjusting the poses to their own bodies, offering options so that students can learn how to do this, and emphasizing that there is no one right way to do a pose. And RE short limbs, we were just talking in class on Tuesday how props can help adjust for different body proportions (this followed after we just got props back in the studio post-covid and I could use blocks in class, woo-hoo!).

Not sure what I'm going to do today myself yet. I've got a number of practices saved to my "watch later" list, but they are mostly gentle/floor, and I've been trying to emphasize more standing practices since I found out in April that I have osteopenia in my right hip. Also, I go back to work next week (after being off in June & July), so I am sure I will be craving more of the gentle stuff then!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-29-21, 09:40 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
One of my belated posts that will appear on General Discussion someday, so I hope, concerns some related cuing guidelines that came from a certain instructor: you had named four guidelines about cuing, and this planned post is the result of searching for those phrases. The search led me to an article on the Yoga International site.
Does the "you" in this mean me? If so, I don't remember my own guidelines! Maybe it was something that came up when I was doing my YTT...regardless, I'd definitely be interested to hear more about this as well.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-29-21, 10:02 AM  
Mell

Mell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 10:44 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I was wondering about the source of Mobility Training & Injury Prevention Exercises 30 Day Challenge, also.

If I have the correct one, it seems to be Human 2.0 Fitness on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mell View Post
Thank you! Off to check it out!

ETA: This looks great! Can't wait to add them in!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sadhana, vf sadhana