Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-15, 04:10 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

I'm 50. Stopped periods over 2 yrs ago.

I'm feeling the effects of insomnia in the last year or so, and I have learned that sugar goes right around my middle in a way it didn't 10 years ago.

My weight is stable provided I avoid sugar and processed foods, and I have been elevating my strength training (total body/endurance stuff) 3-4 days a week above cardio for the last 2 yrs or so.

I also go to hot yoga class once a week for flexibility and walk my dog outside 4-6 days a week for an hour.

I've been in school for a couple years and my kids are college age and coming and going. It's been a busy time...however, I'm finding that even though I have a couple of injuries (knee, ankle) which forces me away from running and Tonique (two of my favorite forms of exercise) I feel pretty good overall. Walking/hiking keeps me pretty fit for walking and hiking type activities! I will add in some spinning when I have more time, but right now I don't feel pressed to do that.

I think staying strong with weight training keeps me from getting injured otherwise by making me functionally fit. It also gives my body a nice shape in the least amount of time.

I tell myself all the time "fight age with strength"...so far it seems to be the most direct way for me to stay in shape.

I need to try to find something to help promote sleep because what I have noticed is that I am catching viral illnesses more often because my resistance is down from lack of sleep.

I think low-dose melatonin is what I am going to try.

Good luck everyone!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 07:03 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Just wanted to chime in. I will be 49 soon and in the past couple of years I've: broken a bone in my foot (first broken bone ever and I have no idea how it happened), have had PF plus a more serious foot/ankle problem called PTTD (which is currently acting up so no walking, jumping for now), I'm having what I guess are hot flashes (burning sensations), arthritis in my fingers which makes it difficult to type or grasp things, terrible memory lapses (lost my lunch bag yesterday).

All of this makes it difficult to stick with an exercise program. I start something and have to stop because one or more of the above are acting up. My backup exercise is usually walking, but can't do that now either, so I'm just doing upper body strength until my foot is better. This time of life is no picnic!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 08:09 AM  
TinaT

I really love reading through all your posts. I didn't think so many would respond. I feel motivated to try harder, knowing so many of you are not giving up on fitness/exercise during this season.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 09:20 AM  
BunnyHop

Having just done the new Jessica Smith HIIT walk this morning, I followed it up with the 15 minute back exercise workout on the same disc.

I mention it because I find I need to be careful of anything that puts direct pressure on my abdomen. (I've got a fibroid that causes bleeding sometimes)

There's a section in the back workout where you're on your stomach doing a number of different moves. It was okay, I think, but having had bleeding issues in the past, I was careful not to put too much pressure in a certain spot, because I think that's what caused the problem.

Hope this info is helpful to someone else.
Old 09-01-15, 05:55 PM  
c4ward

I'm not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
To the above poster....please....don't get me started on injuries....I fell using my TRX about 2.5 years ago....then shortly after that broke my ankle and foot severely......then I fell off my Rebounder (balance issues) and fractured a rib.....then I went to the foot doc after already having to go in constantly for bunion injections and he told me I have horrid arthritis in my great toe and may need a toe fusion if I don't stop ALL impact....so I'm not allowed to do any impact.....life sure is different....thus the reason I do Kundalini Yoga so much!!! It's a workout....but an effective workout with stretches in between...so good for this age! Oh...and yes, my ankle did not heal correctly...healed with a chip loose....so I still have pain all the time in it!! I tell ya!!
Horrible. I appreciate your share.
Coleen
c4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 06:01 PM  
c4ward

Broken bones?

Until I read this thread, I didn't know the broken ankle may coincide with menopause. I, too, have never broken anything and have been quite adventurous (possibly, foolishly fearless I've always been on top of Calcium and Vitamin D. I am shocked- more saddened- this is possibly a side effect.
c4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 07:54 PM  
Leonana

I'm 55, and entered menopause at age 50. I'm coming at it differently, as I didn't start exercising regularly until around age 51. So, I noticed benefits with exercise, instead of a decrease in ability. I'm probably at a low intermediate level, and I mostly do Jessica Smith.

I have struggled with PF in my left foot, but stretching, orthotic inserts and my Birkenstocks keep it from getting really bad. However, I have to limit the high impact.

I haven't had serious issues with hot flashes, I just get slightly hot if stressed. However, anxiety seems to be my middle name. It helps to learn I'm not alone in all of this. Exercise does help with the anxiety, plus behavior modification as in changing my thoughts, and also keeping busy. Still, some days are harder than others. It seems that everyone's circle of friends and relatives keeps getting smaller and smaller, and that is hard.
Old 09-01-15, 08:48 PM  
Malinda

Reading this thread is making me think DH is going through menopause. He has so many of the issues I'm seeing here. I count myself so very lucky that at 51, I've had very few symptoms so far. I've had sleep problems for years, so I'm used to that & have medication at hand. I do get hot flashes and night sweats, but can usually overcome them with a fan & exposing my core - I just pray no one walks by my office when I've got my blouse lifted up! I've actually tossed around the idea of designing a line of pajamas with a midriff top & low-cut shorts - bringing out my inner Zuzka - because letting my midsection get air really cools me down quickly. Thankfully, I can still do whatever workouts I want with no problems.

But my husband - he has insomnia, joint issues, muscular aches & pains... and he has dedicated so much of his life to being physically fit! It's so frustrating. And he's younger than me.
Old 09-01-15, 09:12 PM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinda View Post

But my husband - he has insomnia, joint issues, muscular aches & pains... and he has dedicated so much of his life to being physically fit! It's so frustrating. And he's younger than me.
Hmmmm. My husband is 2 years younger than me. Some nights I wake up and his side of the bed is soaked. He doesn't have the joint issues I have, though. Aging can such a pain.
Old 09-01-15, 09:18 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballnut View Post
Hmmmm. Aging can such a pain.
Yeah, it sure ain't for sissies, is it? I can understand why people sit down and decided it's too much effort. Good thing for me I'm stubborn.

Tags
aging, hormonal replacement, hormones, menopause, old thread alert, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause