Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-16, 06:50 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
A distinction must be made between a real medicine ball--which is about the size of a basketball (or bigger)--and a hand-held fitness ball, which is what Tracie Long uses and is mistakenly called a medicine ball.
Really? I did not know this! I've always wondered why they're called 'medicine balls.' I'm going to go geek out and do some research. Stand by...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 07:14 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
A distinction must be made between a real medicine ball--which is about the size of a basketball (or bigger)--and a hand-held fitness ball, which is what Tracie Long uses and is mistakenly called a medicine ball.
Interesting. I always thought that medicine ball is any ball that's weighted, regardless of size.
Old 06-10-16, 07:48 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Interesting. I always thought that medicine ball is any ball that's weighted, regardless of size.
Nope.

Dictionary.com gives the definition as "a large, solid, heavy, leather-covered ball, thrown from one person to another for exercise."

Also, check out Wikipedia's explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_ball

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 09:49 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Nope.

Dictionary.com gives the definition as "a large, solid, heavy, leather-covered ball, thrown from one person to another for exercise."

Also, check out Wikipedia's explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_ball
Well, what do you know? You learn something every day. Thanks.
Old 06-11-16, 05:50 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

But the wiki entry doesn't specify size, other than to differentiate between a larger stability ball. They also say a med ball can also be called a fitness ball. So I don't see how a TL style weighted ball could also not be called a med ball? I can see that it is smaller than perhaps a traditional medicine ball, but it's the weighted aspect that seems to be the defining characteristic of a medicine ball.
Old 06-11-16, 12:15 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
But the wiki entry doesn't specify size, other than to differentiate between a larger stability ball. They also say a med ball can also be called a fitness ball. So I don't see how a TL style weighted ball could also not be called a med ball? I can see that it is smaller than perhaps a traditional medicine ball, but it's the weighted aspect that seems to be the defining characteristic of a medicine ball.
Yes, it does..."roughly the diameter of the shoulders (approx. 13.7 inches)."

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 07:42 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Yes, it does..."roughly the diameter of the shoulders (approx. 13.7 inches)."
Ah, I see. However, I've found several other sources, among them this one here, that indicates medicine balls can come in a variety of sizes. I clicked on the Scientific American link referenced in the article, and it's quite informative! It specifies that the 'medicine ball' is generally twice the size of a football, so larger than today's typical med balls, assuming a football in the 1880's was roughly the same size as modern footballs. The weight was roughly 12lbs. It still seems to me the fact that a ball is weighted is the distinguishing factor, more so than the size.

The SA article says it is used for general exercises, "playful exercise with it invigorates the body, promotes digestion (!) and restores and preserves one's health."

Ok, I'll stop now. I've spent far too much time reading about balls.

Tags
ballaero, medicine ball, weighted ball workouts