Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-23, 08:17 AM  
buffmama

I know when my general activity levels changed, regardless of my age, I saw a weight shift. Sometimes with a busy life we just don't have the time to 'do' (which will involve move) as much as we used to.
Old 03-28-23, 08:35 AM  
donnamp

Beth - I agree, there is so much conflicting information about exercise! Some swear by taking workouts down a notch, others say work hard but for shorter periods of time. I guess it is a big trial and error to figure out what works for you and what you feel best doing and then once you figure it out your body changes again. I was never one to gain in my belly - if i gained it was hips/thighs. So this is a bit of a shock.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-23, 10:17 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I've literally tried everything to try to lose this meno belly, but honestly, nothing has worked. I've amped up workouts, I've lowered workouts, I've tried heavy weights, I've tried light weights, I've tried just walking, I've tried HIIT, I've tried lots of cardio, I've tried yoga/pilates/fusion -- and all combinations thereof. Nothing has worked. I still do something every day though, mostly now just doing what I feel like doing that day.

A calorie deficit/counting macros was the only thing that worked to change the scale. However, my waist size never changed and I'm still wearing two sizes up than before perimenopause to accommodate this unchangeable belly. Even 25 pounds lighter, I'm still wearing the same bra that I had to go up two sizes in when I initially gained 35 pounds. I pretty much just wear an elastic waist if at all possible.

And now nearly 50, I'm still in the craptastic, still regularly cycling phase of peri (for 5 years!!), so I'm really dreading what life holds when I actually stop having periods, if ever!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-23, 11:01 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, same - never really gained in the belly area before.

Lori, your issues sound particularly frustrating; I feel for you.

Have others used HRT, and if so, did you notice a difference either way? Of course, it's supposed to help with weight gain, not cause it, but my belief is that everyone responds to these things differently.

I forget to mention that one thing that's helped me a little of late is adding short Pilates sessions, 15-20 minutes on a near-daily basis. I've seen a bit more definition around my abs since I started this, although the frustrating thing is that it makes my obliques look a little similar, which almost makes the belly appear to pooch out even more!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-23, 11:07 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post

And now nearly 50, I'm still in the craptastic, still regularly cycling phase of peri (for 5 years!!), so I'm really dreading what life holds when I actually stop having periods, if ever!
I will be 56 this summer. I swear I've been in peri since age 40 or before. I am finally moving towards menopause. I have gone 55 days without a cycle.

One of my healthcare providers thinks later menopause is a sign of good health. I hear you though. It's frustrating.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-23, 07:37 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I know when my general activity levels changed, regardless of my age, I saw a weight shift. Sometimes with a busy life we just don't have the time to 'do' (which will involve move) as much as we used to.
It's similar for me. I lost 30 pounds when I was ill last year, and not eating much. I lost three sizes. I've gained some of it back now that I'm eating normally, and am up one size, and it's getting tight. I have to limit my eating and walk a lot to stay this size, but I know it can be done. I'm just not sure I want to cut out dessert, lol.

Justina Ercole did a video that claims recent studies show that weight doesn't creep up with age until after age 60. But it obviously included men in the study, so I would guess that would impact the findings. However, Jessica Smith's article I linked above mentioned a study that showed menopausal women do gain weight. Here's the video if anyone is interested, and the study she referenced.

https://youtu.be/5J84obIZFGc

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...e-202110082613
Old 03-29-23, 08:02 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I will be 56 this summer. I swear I've been in peri since age 40 or before. I am finally moving towards menopause. I have gone 55 days without a cycle.

One of my healthcare providers thinks later menopause is a sign of good health. I hear you though. It's frustrating.
Thanks, Jackie, fingers crossed for you that this is it!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 09:51 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post

Justina Ercole did a video that claims recent studies show that weight doesn't creep up with age until after age 60. But it obviously included men in the study, so I would guess that would impact the findings. However, Jessica Smith's article I linked above mentioned a study that showed menopausal women do gain weight. Here's the video if anyone is interested, and the study she referenced.
I am 61. Before the holidays last year, I was at a new (post-baby -- my youngest is 21) low weight for me (but my weight has always mostly been in check -- just those last 5-10 pounds sort of thing). I went crazy with holiday eating and I'm just not bouncing back the way I have in previous years. I'm trying to get better control of the glucose/insulin roller coaster and hoping that will help, but my mindset is still a bit in rebel mode on that, which makes everything worse of course....

So yes, hugs to all of us!
Old 03-29-23, 12:17 PM  
seww

I recently discovered Mary Claire Haver M.D.
she's an OB/GYN and experiencing the same things many here have posted about.
Check her out! She has a new book out which I won't mention since Di*t is taboo here!
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 09:19 AM  
donnamp

This isn't specific to the belly or menopause, but I have been enjoying Jessica Valant's Meet Your Body podcast - she has a lot of content on it that is appropriate for mid-life/aging women - and all that we are going through from caring of aging parents to hormonal changes to raising kids.

I listened to her recent podcast about her "midlife confusion" and enjoyed it.

She talks about gaining weight, facing mortality, losing her mother-in-law and dealing with motivational slumps.

It is helpful to hear as it makes you feel less alone in your challenges!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belly fat, gaining weight, getting older, menopause, menopot, perimenopause, perimenopause weight gain, weight gain