Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-22, 01:31 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

So glad to hear you’re enjoying the Iron Series Angela! I just finished round two and plan to do it again this Fall.

I hope she does an Iron 2 or a full 12 week Iron Series.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 02:38 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
So glad to hear you’re enjoying the Iron Series Angela! I just finished round two and plan to do it again this Fall.

I hope she does an Iron 2 or a full 12 week Iron Series.
I'd love an Iron 2 for a full 12 week program! If not, I'm sure I will repeat this to continue getting stronger!
Old 06-27-22, 02:39 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Gigi congrats on your progress! You've piqued my interest. Whenever I hear "I got stronger" I automatically tune in. Arnold Presses using 20 pound dumbbells is pretty impressive to me. I've never tried anything by Caroline Girvan, as I tend not to stick to online workouts. Plus the lady seems so strong I've always been intimidated.

Is her lifting pace reasonable? Is she heavy on the squats and lunges? I notice you mention them. I like squats and lunges, but my knee is complaining right now. Are there warmups?
I should clarify that I don't always use 20's for this particular exercise. The workout I used 20's for arnold press where kneeling and one side at a time. Tonight was all shoulders and I used 15's, 12's, 10's, and 8's. I used a 20lb. DB for one set of front raises.

Last edited by gigi; 06-27-22 at 09:13 PM. Reason: clarify
gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 03:58 PM  
zoegirl

Interested/enabled! I would like to print the calendar but it's mostly black/dark. Anyone know how to print it without using a ton of toner??
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 09:12 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
Interested/enabled! I would like to print the calendar but it's mostly black/dark. Anyone know how to print it without using a ton of toner??
You really don't need the calendar. Each week you do the first 3 workouts 3 days in a row, rest the 4th day, do the 4th workout, rest the 6th day, do the 5th workout. One of those days is deemed an active rest day. So say you start on Monday:
Monday: Workout 1
Tuesday: Workout 2
Wednesday Workout 3
Thursday: Rest
Friday Workout 4
Saturday: Active Rest
Sunday Workout 5
Monday: Workout 6, etc.....

I was gone on vacation for a few days so I did day 15 (the last workout of week 3 today) and I'll start week 4 tomorrow.
Old 06-27-22, 09:15 PM  
gigi

Tonight was all shoulders and I listned to her instructions at the beginning, which I often find helpful. She talke about no scrunching and relaxing the shoulders. It made me very aware and I'm amazed that my left shoulder is not causing me near as much trouble as it used to.
Old 12-13-22, 01:10 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Loving this series!

Hi to all-
In an effort to create some space in my workout time to do some more mobility work, I thought I'd do Caroline Girvan's Iron Series because it is only 30 minutes of strength work 5 times a week.

Cathe is my go-to for weight training for probably the last 10 years or more. I've sprinkled in KCM, or some Beach Body stuff, but never really checked out the YouTube crowd.I just happened to see Caroline's name mentioned on the Cathe STS 2.0 thread, and thought I'd give her a try while I waited for the new workouts.

I am a couple of workouts away from finishing the 6 week program and I LOVED it! Even though the workouts are short, she uses heavy enough weight to really make a difference.

The only thing missing for me is enough bicep/tricep work. I am used to working my entire upper body 3 times a week, and it seems her attention to bis/tris is more like once a week at most (she loves shoulders!).

I feel like I have been working my legs/glutes harder than I usually do with Cathe workouts. Probably because the weight choices are so heavy.

Anyway, I look forward to doing more of Caroline's weight workouts! I am going to try the strength-only rotation that 2Lazy4gym created using Caroline's workouts (link below).

https://2lazy4gym.com/2022/08/08/car...ding-rotation/

If you need a change, I highly recommend checking her out. I feel stronger after 5 1/2 weeks!
YMMV
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-22, 06:55 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
Hi to all-

The only thing missing for me is enough bicep/tricep work. I am used to working my entire upper body 3 times a week, and it seems her attention to bis/tris is more like once a week at most (she loves shoulders!).

Funny, I liked it for all the reasons you gave, but *also* because she didn't do so much bicep/tricep. Cathe does too much of that for my taste. I really like the way my arms looked after my Caroline rotation.
Old 12-14-22, 07:58 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have been gazing at this series for a couple months now, but haven't taken the plunge. Maybe I will now. I feel like I need to get in some cardio, but I think she lifts so heavy that I won't have the energy to add any in. I especially like the fact that she does heavy leg work. Cathe's leg workouts emphasize endurance more often than not.
Old 12-14-22, 08:07 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Funny, I liked it for all the reasons you gave, but *also* because she didn't do so much bicep/tricep. Cathe does too much of that for my taste. I really like the way my arms looked after my Caroline rotation.
I feel the same way about bicep/tricep work but I do agree that Caroline really loves shoulders! I love many of her workouts but do lots of substitutions to make them work for me.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calendar, caroline girvan, iron series, program