Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-22, 08:48 PM  
gigi

Iron Series

So, I just wanted to let everyone know that I've almost finished 3 weeks of Iron Series. I do extra cardio on some days. My goal is to be one size smaller by the time school starts again. I have so many cute pants that are one size smaller than my current size. Also, I started Iron Series during the schol year but mentally was not prepared for it. I'm using the summer to build back a strong workout habit and to get stonger so I can keep it up during the school year. Unfortunately, my scale is broken and I did not take measurements but here are my observations so far:

- My clothes are fitting better

- I am stronger - not nearly as strong as many of you or Carline but I am increasing weights (for example I used 20's for arnold presses today).

- I cannot tell you how much I hated, loathed, despised singe leg lunges and bulgarian lunges, and hip thrusts. I can now do them with better form, using my step for bulgarian lunges and for hip thrusts. I also feel them in the right places. My back foot always gave out. I'm not saying it isn't still a challenge but it is much better than when I started. I alternate between 15's and 20's depending on how many sets there are for single leg lunges and bulgarian lunges. Today, I used a 25 for single leg lunges held on the side of the lunge.

- I will have room to grow when I do this series again.

I won't be able to finish week 3 until Monday but I'm sure the rest won't hurt.
Old 06-23-22, 06:56 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Congrats on your progress so far! What is the iron series?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 07:44 AM  
bubbles76

Gigi congrats on your progress! You've piqued my interest. Whenever I hear "I got stronger" I automatically tune in. Arnold Presses using 20 pound dumbbells is pretty impressive to me. I've never tried anything by Caroline Girvan, as I tend not to stick to online workouts. Plus the lady seems so strong I've always been intimidated.

Is her lifting pace reasonable? Is she heavy on the squats and lunges? I notice you mention them. I like squats and lunges, but my knee is complaining right now. Are there warmups?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 11:31 AM  
Terry

I did the first workout this morning thanks to your post. I might go ahead and do this entire program despite preferring DVDs and preferring verbal instructions during the moves.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 09:55 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I believe it’s this:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mo5EQ0zmkxymJ2
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 09:57 AM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Gigi congrats on your progress! You've piqued my interest. Whenever I hear "I got stronger" I automatically tune in. Arnold Presses using 20 pound dumbbells is pretty impressive to me. I've never tried anything by Caroline Girvan, as I tend not to stick to online workouts. Plus the lady seems so strong I've always been intimidated.

Is her lifting pace reasonable? Is she heavy on the squats and lunges? I notice you mention them. I like squats and lunges, but my knee is complaining right now. Are there warmups?
The warm up is separate. Sets are timed, you go at your own pace (and you will see Caroline take breaks during sets which I like.) Totally doable. She is heavy on lunges, squats, rdls, hip thrusts.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 01:39 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I did the first workout this morning thanks to your post. I might go ahead and do this entire program despite preferring DVDs and preferring verbal instructions during the moves.
I am the same way about DVDs and verbal instruction and I'm currently in the middle of doing her new Fuel series. I have done the first week of the Iron series and will go back to it after Fuel is over. I don't really miss the verbal cuing much and it gives me some variety. Plus the workouts are short!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 08:58 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Carline Girvin on YouTube.
Old 06-26-22, 09:01 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post

You may use her link to a 5 minute warm up but I usually do a Cathe warm up. I believe the pace is reasonable and you have to have the mindset to push yourself within reason. I don't come near the weights she uses. I also stop when I need to. I love squats but single leg lunges and bolgarian lunges are awful to me. I no longer have the dread factor I once had as doing them has stregnthed me in those areas. I focused on form and lighter weights. I had to let go of the "all or nothing" mindest. I am intimidated by her other programs and Iron is my first program. I was on vacation and just got back today so I'll finish week 3 tomorrow and start week 4 on Tuesday!
Old 06-26-22, 09:02 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
She give a lot of verbal instructions at the beginning of the workout. She also has written tips that pop up during the workout. Once you get used to no cueing, I find it hard to go back to instructors that cue or talk duing the entire workout.

Tags
calendar, caroline girvan, iron series, program