Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-11, 10:39 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I find myself wondering how many of these overacting backgrounders (the tortured ones, not the peppy ones) are just following directions.
Can you imagine, take after take of "More - we want more crying! You call that your 'nauseous expression'? I want everyone to see fear in your eyes!" Especially with the BL trainers (I include Jillian of course). I believe it's a whole lotta show biz.

So I don't necessarily fault the backgrounders themselves.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:04 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
I just think that it's funny that Janelle can't seem to figure out her left from her right in the Turbo Jam Ball videos. She goes the wrong way several times in a row. 'Doh!

Don't you think it's because when Chalene says "Right!" she's referring to the home exerciser's right which would be the background exerciser's LEFT?

Joan (JP44)
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:09 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I find myself wondering how many of these overacting backgrounders (the tortured ones, not the peppy ones) are just following directions.
Can you imagine, take after take of "More - we want more crying! You call that your 'nauseous expression'? I want everyone to see fear in your eyes!" Especially with the BL trainers (I include Jillian of course). I believe it's a whole lotta show biz.

So I don't necessarily fault the backgrounders themselves.
That's a good point, Lucky Star. I'm sure Jill&Bob are keen to maintain their image.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:58 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
Corn cob girl never bothered me, but Laura, the woman in Chest, Back, and Triceps, bugged me so much that for me doing that workout was like having dental work done.
Really?? I love Laura. (My DH says it's because I want to think Tony is talking to ME. But I think it's because she modifies her push-ups even more than I do.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:01 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie108 View Post
Shoot, I don't have any of the workouts you guys are talking about, but my vote goes to the guy in STS Cardio (Robert, I think?), who has the absolute worst kickboxing form ever!! You would have thought someone would have corrected him! It's painful to watch...
I gotta agree with this, it's like someone forced him to be there, his form is SO bad and he is putting NO effort into it. I have no idea with all of her choices, she chose him for this DVD.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 07:53 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

So, this is a super old thread but I went looking for something like it because I did Fitprime Lean today and I loved it but I just cannot get over Tamela Hastie as a background exerciser. Keli Roberts is the lead and she’s fabulous but the camera often focuses on Tamela and she overacts in a way that is so beyond. It seemed almost disrespectful to Keli as the lead to me, but maybe she was told to act that way? It’s all ages ago, so who knows, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. I really did love the workout, so I guess I’ll just have to get used it it!
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 08:02 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah O. View Post
So, this is a super old thread but I went looking for something like it because I did Fitprime Lean today and I loved it but I just cannot get over Tamela Hastie as a background exerciser. Keli Roberts is the lead and she’s fabulous but the camera often focuses on Tamela and she overacts in a way that is so beyond. It seemed almost disrespectful to Keli as the lead to me, but maybe she was told to act that way? It’s all ages ago, so who knows, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. I really did love the workout, so I guess I’ll just have to get used it it!
Sarah I am so glad you resurrected this...and yessss Tamela gets on my nerves but Kelli does such a good job I will ignore her..haha.

(Off to read the rest of this thread )

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 08:10 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Sarah I am so glad you resurrected this...and yessss Tamela gets on my nerves but Kelli does such a good job I will ignore her..haha.

(Off to read the rest of this thread )
Honestly, the search function has been amazing. I’ve caught up on so much and at least been able to experience vicariously the excitement and reactions to workouts, like Lean, that’s I’m just doing now.
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 08:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

there was a "recent" thread about Tamela that allowed me to forgive her for all of the mugging in the Fitprime (and Firm Bust & Butt) workouts. but i won't go back and re-acquire any of the workouts with Tamela because it is distracting. the only reason i have Flexposture is because it's paired with Metaboost.

I've sought the original Floor Burn over the re-filmed Floor Burn because the original is taught by Susan Harris.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 10:05 AM  
Poodlepants

In Travis Eliot's Level Up 108, there is a backgrounder in a few of the practices. She annoys me to no end. She is always the MOST extra in her poses with little flourishes for the benefit of the camera and has the most contrived beatific look on her face. I feel like her practice is very ego-driven.

Luckily, I only need audio cues for his classes.

Tags
background exercisers, old thread alert