Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-03-22, 09:19 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Pilates Cross-trainers OCTOBER 2022

Good morning!

Ellen's Moving for Beauty - 30min. One of my favorites. Nice flowy workout that gets me moving and puts me in a good mood. One pet peeve though; in this workout as well as in several of her DVDs, Ellen does leg kicks and calls it "karate chop". Every time. No, Ellen. You kick with your legs and chop with your hands. If you must, call it karate kick, but not karate chop. Petty of me, I know, but it bugs me for some reason.

WRL 30 min walk from the set I purchased in August. The disk played perfectly fine and had no glitches. So far, I've done the 20-min and 30-min walks and both play fine. I remember reading that some people had issues with the 40min workout. I haven't done it yet so we'll see. So far, I am really liking the energy and quick pace on this set.

Donna, I'm thinking of you and I hope you're doing OK.

Carol, I'm glad you're feeling better. Hope this continues!

Waves to all!
Old 10-03-22, 07:24 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Jessica Valant Pilates - Stronger Bones Osteoporosis Workout - 25 minutes

I think this was an older workout of Jessica's. The sound was not as good as it has been on her newer stuff, but it was a good workout. About half weights and half mat work. I tried to make it more complicated than it should have been, switching out my weights on various exercises. Next time I'll just get my 4 lb weights and go.

My PCP says we need to look at osteoporosis treatment when I come in in December to see her. I told her I didn't want to add more medicine on top of all the stuff the R.A. doctor is trying out. One thing at a time.

The good news - my juror number was high enough that I got dismissed and didn't have to stay past about 10:15. I was thrilled!

Donna - thinking about your family tonight. You did what you had to do. And I hope your back is feeling better tomorrow.

Dana - I like all of Leslie's newer stuff. The pace and energy are good and the music is generally better. I may re-subscribe to Walk At Home when the weather starts to get bad.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-22, 08:05 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did pretty much nothing. I attempted to work but was not very productive. I ended up crashing on the couch early and sleeping a lot. I think it helped. Still sad about Bailey, but that is to be expected....and I know it will take some time. My other dog, Summer, seems to be doing ok, so that is good.

Today I decided to give Caroline Jordan's October Calendar a try - her focus for this month is hip health.

Today was:

20 Min Hip Mobility (from You Tube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x_6KQkAnUw

15 Min Core Stability (from You Tube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuhaBZ5WPgM

The calendar also called for a 20 min outdoor walk but we are still in the rain here from Ian so I did an indoor walk from Body Kind Fitness - it was one of those w/no talking. It was fine - nothing special, but it got the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C31vyhrQTAU

Caroline's workouts are pre-hab/re-hab - she recommends doing theme before doing other exercise - but geez, I was 35 min in before I got to my walk today. I don't know how realistic it is for us to do this on a regular basis - I mean, i guess if we had unlimited time to workout - but most of us don't. But, that being said, I can see the benefits - and maybe I'll see what I can find in terms of short workouts like these that I can do in lieu of another warm up - also, I suppose you can pick a handful of exercises that are most beneficial to you and do those regularly. Something to think about.

Carol - I don't blame you for not wanting to get on more meds at this point. I think I have done that workout from Jessica before. Her stuff and Caroline Jordan's stuff would work well together both seem to be focused on the function of the body and improving that. So I think the two can be mixed and matched!

Dana - I know what you mean about some Ellen-isms! There is one where she says something about "wearing too many shoes" or something like that and it always bugs me b/c you can only wear one pair of shoes at a time, LOL!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-22, 05:43 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Walk - 35 minutes;
Jessica Valant Pilates - Neck Friendly Pilates Workout - 20 minutes

The neck friendly pilates workout was new to me - many traditional pilates exercises but with your head on the mat. The last 5 or 6 minutes was upper body strength work with tubing. A nice combo.

Donna - Nice job with your workouts! I know what you mean about time, but that's been one nice thing about following Jessica's calendar the last few weeks. Most of the workouts have been short, so I can add a walk on several times a week and still be done in an hour. And if I don't get the walk added on, I've still done the workout on the calendar for the day and I see that nice little checkmark on the calendar. I'm so easily motivated.

Carol
Old 10-05-22, 07:17 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

WLR 2Mile + Lift - 40min. This one was with the dark-haired instructor who has tons of energy but is a terrible cue-er. Awful! She was all over the place and so was the team behind her.

WLR 1Mile + Lift - 15min with Nick. Nick cues well and ahead of the moves, so it was a relief after the frenzy pace of the 2Mile workout I did earlier. One minus was that there was way too much banter and hilarity among the walkers which was hard to take at 6am.

I started with the 40min walk from the set I purchased back in July/August. Unfortunately, the disk froze 4 times in the first 5 minutes and I didn't continue afterwards. That's a real shame. When I have the time, I'll try to play it through the 40min to see if the issue resolves itself.

I have to go to work this morning so I have to get ready. I'm not happy with the owner of the business where I work, so it may be a short day if he chooses to cross me. There's only so much I can do without much cooperation from him and I'm ready to walk out permanently.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 10-05-22, 08:06 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Still dreary and rainy here......

Yesterday, after work, I jumped on the Ellen - Peace, Love & Cardio train and did that one. It was too rainy to walk outdoors.

Today, I continued w/ Ellen and did Yoga Tone

I do want to go back and do more of Caroline Jordan's workouts, but I am in an Ellen mood - so will go with that for now. At "lunch" today I plan to take a walk of some type - indoors/outdoors....

Carol - Glad you didn't get picked!! I like checking boxes, too! LOL! I like the "to do" list in MS 365 b/c it rings a bell when you check something off.

Dana - that is frustrating about work.....work is just a pain. I am dealing with someone who wants me to create something out of nothing...

Oh well - onward...

Donna
Old 10-05-22, 07:11 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Following Jessica's calendar, today's workout was

Jessica Valant Pilates - Resistance Band Upper Back and Shoulders - 17 minutes

This was an older strength workout using a band and a set of weights. I may add something else on later. It's cool and damp tonight, so there's no outdoor walk for me. But that's a thought - I could do the 1 mile WRL walk.

Donna - Nice workouts!

Dana - Well drat it! I bet my WRL DVD skips too.

Inspired by the thread at VF, I shopped Mary's sale and ended up buying some DVDs - pilates stuff. I found a 4 DVD set (used) of Caribbean Pilates workouts, so I thought that was probably a good buy. I also bought a couple of Bender Ball pilates workouts.

Carol
Old 10-06-22, 09:43 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got a 2 mile Leslie walk in for some extra activity - it was from the Walk 15 series - I did the 2 mile walk - Leslie did a "walk concert" w/ popular music for mile # 1 and Rocky lead mile # 2. It was good to get moving after sitting for so long - and the dreary weather!

Today, so far, was:

Ellen - Gentle Barre - this is a favorite of mine. Low key.

Not sure about extras today - I have an errand to run at lunch and then this evening I'm meeting friends for dinner.

Carol - nice job. I haven't purchased DVDs in so long...I should look at Mary's site - well, I shouldn't but....

waves, Dana.

Donna
Old 10-06-22, 02:50 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Hi Everyone!

No formal workout for me today, but I did go for a 60min walk in the park by my house. It was such a nice morning that it was fun to do something different for a change.

Then, something posessed me and I decided then and there to get in a car and drive to Sam's pharmacy and get my bivalent omicron shot and while I was at it, I also got the flu shot. I know that if I didn't jump on it and do both at the same time, I would probably end up not getting either any time soon if at all. So far, I feel perfectly fine but I haven't had any side effects after any of the previous covid or flu shots. Hopefully, this time will be the same.

Donna, thanks for the links to youtube workouts. I'll check them out.

Carol, I looked at Mary's sale but didn't find anything I want or need. I will probably look again later in case I've missed anything.

Waves to all. I'll check back tomorrow.
Old 10-07-22, 06:15 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quick check in for Thursday:

Walk - 30 minutes;
Jessica Valant Pilates - Mindful Movement: 5 Minute Abs Workout - 5 minutes

Got to run - we have an early meeting today. After work, I am headed to CVS to get my CoVid 19 booster. That way I'll have the long weekend to recover, if needed.

Carol