Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-22, 01:15 PM  
ChelePA

20 minutes of R&B cycling. 20 minute pop music walking. 10 min barre that focused on light weights upper body while holding plié squat. 5 min core. Finished Kassandra’s yoga challenge. Really liked that she held the pose for two minutes. Normally I prefer a shorter sequence however to improve my range of motion a minimum of two minutes is usually needed. Her affirmation for today was I allow myself to slow down and rest deeply. Probably a good one for all of us.

Enjoy your Sunday!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 03:47 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey all! I've missed you! Nice to get caught up on everyone.

So sorry to hear about all of the education problems -- both on teacher and and student (Chele's daughter) end. It is really strange to think about the long term ramifications these young people will deal with. Oof.

cataddict, I'm sorry to hear about your stepdaughter's mom -- very sad circumstances. It will be a tough road ahead for her as an only child.

Sounds like people are doing well with their workouts -- scaling back, or not. Kim, I am sort of missing Ilaria but don't think it would be good for me at this point with the sciatica or whatever. Funny, I think I borrowed that Tom Holland abs workout from the library and did it once.

manleym/chele, I don't think it's recommended to drink hot drinks through a straw -- I think it's a lot easier to get burned. You guys may call me crazy, but do you know about oil pulling with coconut oil? I think it helps keep my teeth whiter, though I've been out of the habit of doing it and just now coincidentally trying to get back to it.

Oh, Tony's new venture.... it's a protein powder with vitamin D and some other thing that helps maintain/build muscle in older people. Hi "infomercial" came up on YouTube for me once and I watched it. Seems like there is a good study that backs up the claims. He does say that lifting weights will produce better results, but if you're injured or something like that, it's supposed to preserve.

All your talk of workouts have made me want to go do an upper body workout. I haven't done anything but walking (but a fair bit of that!) lately.

Sending hugs out to all of you.
Old 01-16-22, 04:59 PM  
lavna

Hi Watulans!

cataddict: I'm sorry about your stepdaughter's mom.

I'm sorry about all the education problems. I guess we're lucky here that so far, we've only had virtual classes. But school are supposed the reopen tommorow (not sure as we're expecting a big snowstorm!) and many are worried about what will happen if too many teachers are absent.

Totday, I tried 2 Caroline workouts: EPIC Heat 32 (UB) and 10 min ab complex. I hard a hard time finding the right weight so the workout wasn't as hard as it could be. Also, I realised that I'm not very good at renegade rows! I spent more time finding the fight position than actually lifting the weights! I'll have to find a way to modify that move or subsitute it with something else!

Have a great week!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 07:11 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Sunday, Watulans, and oh my goodness I'm so behind, I apologize!

First what I've been up to workout wise. After many weeks of one body part per day heavy-ish weight training, I started having a visceral "I don't want to pull out ANY equipment dang it" reaction and crazy workout apathy, so I decided to change things up. I've been doing circuit/metabolic type workouts alternating with the new PY 108 series by Travis because my ID subscription is up in about a month or so and I want to use it before it's gone....plus, after all that intense weight training and no yoga or barre for weeks on end, my sciatic/piriformis issues seem to have subsided. For now. Crossing fingers and toes!

For those of you struggling with that kind of pain, I'm SO SORRY because I know just how stinking miserable it can be. And mine seems to come and go with no rhyme or reason which is frustrating too.

So this past week I did Cathe's Drill Max and High Step Challenge plus Patrick's Lean Hot Body for my circuit workouts and then did PY 108 Balance and Vitality, but my third day of yoga was derailed by a well issue when we had no water for an entire day, grrrrr. I'm on a mission to get all the way through Patrick's LHB without having to stop and catch my breath during that fourth circuit. I ~almost~ made it through last week, only took a short break! Evil, pure evil, and I only use 8's through 12's. I have no idea what they're using and I don't care!

Today I did the Step Blast/SJP step and weights circuit premix (81 mins) and tomorrow I'm going to start cycling through the Level Up 108 practices again.

I really want to try Caroline's and CDorner's workouts but the music just...well....I just can't go there right now!

Aaaand in addition, I'm in a bit of flux because after much rumination, I left one of my jobs that was making me terribly stressed and unhappy. I have to finish up some work I agreed to do and then I'll have to find something else. I should be feeling relieved but all I feel is...well, stressed. And guilty. Pfffffft.

Kate, I'm SO RELIEVED for you about Justin!! Great, great news.

ChelePA, you are rocking the Peleton in so many ways! And oh, don't get me started on teeth. I'm hard on mine too. I actually chewed through a night guard once and woke up with pieces of plastic in my mouth I thankfully didn't swallow.

FN2, I'm so sorry about your stepdaughter's mom. Very sad. How are your sweet fuzzy babies doing?

Manleym, I think you teachers need saint status, I seriously do, for all you've gone through in this last couple of years. You really sound like you're one of the good ones, too, my friend!

Nathalie, UG on the 500 error! But I'm happy to hear your ankle is doing so well!

Kim, I hear you on the cases seeming to be everywhere. And I also hear you on wading through so much YouTube content! I never know where to start and usually end up doing something I know instead of trying something new!

Horusosiris, where did you find Cathe's new Total Gym workout? I don't even know what a total gym is, but I'm interested! Speaking of, is anyone eagerly awaiting her new series announcement like I am?

Bee, OMG...oil pulling!! I had a friend years ago who did that and I could not believe how beautifully white her teeth got. Do you have any good resources to suggest for how to do it properly? I totally forgot all about that!

Waves to FOLV and BabyW! I hope I didn't miss anybody, my apologies if I did, Watulans!! Stay fierce!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 01:13 PM  
Mickey12

Hey Watulans!

Bee what is this oil pulling with coconut oil stuff?!? I have never, ever heard of this. I just use that gel stuff in the plastic mouth trays from the drugstore to whiten my teeth.

Kittybug I can't believe no one commented on your new avatar photo yet! Is that Charli? I'm trying to remember your cat names. It's a beautiful photo, whoever it is. I'm glad you decided to quit the job that was causing you so much distress. It's not worth it. I hope you find something else, but it seems like there are jobs all over the place, so hopefully it won't take you too long.

Nathalie I HATE renegade rows. OMG, I HATE them! Good for you for doing them. I suppose they get easier, but I just won't do them because they feel so uncomfortable and hard to me.

Yesterday I spent a good portion of the day removing things from the walls and taking down knickknacks, lamps, etc. (all the stuff the painter wants removed for when he starts this week.) He's coming tomorrow to start the prep work. Yeah! I also did a Tonya Larson DVD, Step Pump. Well, I only did the step and ab sections. I liked it - fun choreography, not too long or too hard.

I'm working from home today because we was some snow overnight and forecast for possible sleet/rain/freeze today. It turned out not to be that bad and I could have gone to work, but since I prepared ahead of time to be home today, I just stayed. It reminds me of how much I really don't like working from home. I know I'm in the HUGE minority on this one but I'm so much happier, more productive, and at ease when I'm at the office.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-17-22, 01:26 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Hah, Kim, yep, that's our Charli. When I took that, she was sitting on a shelf in front of a "mod cat" painting I had done, and the little mod cat head peeking out behind her real cat head made us laugh hysterically. She, of course, was like, 'Why are you hoomans laughing? Hoomans are so dumb.'

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 02:45 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Nathalie, I also absolutely hate renegade rows. I often just sub in regular rows.

Ok, oil pulling primer...... you get your coconut oil, you get a very generous tablespoon or two (when I don't have enough it's hard to do) into your mouth. Then you just swish it around in your mouth sort of like gargling. Two very important things: do not swallow! Theoretically it is pulling "toxins" from your mouth that you don't want to swallow. I don't know if I buy that but I know it's probably yucky anyway. You need to just spit it out in the trash can. Second important thing: do not spit into sink or plumbing -- the coconut oil will clog it. They say you need to do it 15-20 minutes..... well, that seems absurd to me! I do it for maybe five? Sometimes I put it in my mouth before I hop in the shower so it's for the duration of my shower, but that's a little dicey in case for some reason you need to spit it out suddenly. My hygienist commented on how nice my teeth were and when I told her I do that, she said she has another patient who does it with really nice teeth.

kittybug that picture is so cute! Photo bombing the cat.

Kim, good luck with that painting project!

You guys did motivate me to do Caroline's Hard Upper Body EPIC 3 workout. I like that one -- no nonsense, one move per body part. This morning I took another long walk. I'm doing a lot of walking these days!
Old 01-17-22, 03:22 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Weeeee, Monday again! No holiday for me.
Justin's radiation therapy starts on Wed. Every weekday until the end of Feb. Just praying for calm weather as we've been getting lots of snow storms lately.

ChelePA: I am SOOOO glad you are building back up your exercises!! You're doing so well! Watch out for those storms!

manleym: I was wondering about Live 378. I've got it on my list, just don't know when I'll add it in yet.

cataddict: Ooooooh, those Touch Up Trainings look good! I see there are 3...total body, upper and lower. Adding to my list!!
Yes I think the older Lives are a bit harder. More impact on some of the cardio. I think as Cathe got older, her workouts got a wee bit gentler.
Hugs to your stepdaughter...my step kids were the same...lost their mom to cancer last summer. !@#!#~! disease!!

Kim: Collage Video cs reps were the ones who pointed me to VF!! I used to order from them all the time!

bee: I didn't watch the whole ad. I'm not ready to try any new products though.
Oil pulling is EXCELLENT for teeth and gums!!

kittybug: Cathe's Drill Max and High Step Challenge plus Patrick's Lean Hot Body !!!!!!!!!!!!! Wicked good! I've been thinking about Drill Max a lot lately. One of my favs.

Waves to Nathalie, horusosiris, FOLV and BabyW

So I ended out last week with Cathe Live 117 Total Body Band & Glide. I picked this one for an "easier" day workout. YOW! Those bands really burned! Most of the leg work was with the gliders, bands for upper. No weights at all. Yow! Oh yeah, I said that.

Today was Live 251 Total Body Giant Sets 3. All three of these Giant Set workouts are great!!! The format on this one was legs, upper, legs, upper, core. Each set was done twice with 3 exercises each set.

Question on Caroline's workouts: are they all silent? I watched a couple and after her intro it looks like she doesn't cue anything.

I also got Shaun T's Focus T25 set in a trade so I'm going to add in some for cardio. I did one of these ages ago with my BOD subscription. My only notes were that it was easier than Insanity. Well THAT'S good. Heehee~

Have a great week! Got your FIERCE pants on?

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 06:32 PM  
manleym

Bee I have done coconut oil pulling before, but didn't stick with it so I can't say it made a big difference with my teeth. I tried to do it for 10 min, but as you said, that's a long time. Especially when trying to remember not to swallow and not to spit in the sink. Maybe I'll give it another go. I do use coconut oil as my body lotion and deodorant. I keep a big jar on my bathroom counter and use it daily.

Nathalie renegade rows are hard! I don't mind doing a couple of sets, but don't really like it being Caroline's staple move and having to do it 5 or 6 times. Or at least it FEELS like 5 or 6 times. I thought of a good move to modify when doing a different Caroline workout you might try. Instead of being in a full body plank, get into a bear crawl position and then do the row. You might try it to see if it works better for you.

Kittybug you are FIERCE!! Cathe's Drill Max, High Step Challenge and Patrick's Lean Hot Body all in one week! Yowza!!! So glad you left the job that was unhealthy and toxic. Sounds like you needed to get out of that job. Hope you find something better soon and not be stressed or feel guilty for leaving. Easy to say, hard to do, I know. And LOVE the pic of Charli! How cute and funny! She is totally posing! I didn't know you were a painter! You're so talented! I can't even draw a stick figure.

Kim sounds like things are rollin' along with the painting! It's always a beating having to prep for someone to do work in your house. Do you think you'll put everything back out when the painter is done, or just say, "less is more?" I'm trying to remember what we did. I do think we got rid of alot, but still had alot. Ugh...

KateTT Caroline does not cue in any of her workouts. It has grown on me and kind of like that I can go at my own pace. And it's easy to sub or modify a move because I don't have to be looking at the TV following her, or her cueing doesn't throw me off. Sometimes with cueing I think it can be hard to modify or sub a move because I want to keep up with the instructor. Oh and the music - I really don't even notice it anymore. Caroline's music doesn't bother me as much as some of the other YT instructors. Hope Justin's therapy goes well.

Hugs and waves everyone! I hope you are all warm and dry! It is a beautiful day here!

Today's workout:
MrandMrsMuscle Lower Body Warm Up 5 Min Modifications Included + Caroline Calves Included Lower Body Workout - Legs EPIC Endgame Day 11+ 20 Min Leg HIIT Workout at Home HIIT It Hard Series Day 2. I LOVED both workouts! I liked the 20 min cardio LB focus after doing the weight workout. I think I'm going to look for cardio focused add-ons instead of weight add-ons. Nice to do 40ish minutes of weights then 20ish minutes cardio/BW. Finished with Daniela Suarez 7 Min Lower Body Stretch Get Your Splits! Flexibility, Recovery & Relaxation No Equipment
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 07:14 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
Bee

Nathalie renegade rows are hard! I don't mind doing a couple of sets, but don't really like it being Caroline's staple move and having to do it 5 or 6 times. Or at least it FEELS like 5 or 6 times. I thought of a good move to modify when doing a different Caroline workout you might try. Instead of being in a full body plank, get into a bear crawl position and then do the row. You might try it to see if it works better for you.

KateTT Caroline does not cue in any of her workouts. It has grown on me and kind of like that I can go at my own pace. And it's easy to sub or modify a move because I don't have to be looking at the TV following her, or her cueing doesn't throw me off. Sometimes with cueing I think it can be hard to modify or sub a move because I want to keep up with the instructor. Oh and the music - I really don't even notice it anymore. Caroline's music doesn't bother me as much as some of the other YT instructors. Hope Justin's therapy goes well.

Today's workout:
MrandMrsMuscle Lower Body Warm Up 5 Min Modifications Included + Caroline Calves Included Lower Body Workout - Legs EPIC Endgame Day 11+ 20 Min Leg HIIT Workout at Home HIIT It Hard Series Day 2. I LOVED both workouts! I liked the 20 min cardio LB focus after doing the weight workout. I think I'm going to look for cardio focused add-ons instead of weight add-ons. Nice to do 40ish minutes of weights then 20ish minutes cardio/BW. Finished with Daniela Suarez 7 Min Lower Body Stretch Get Your Splits! Flexibility, Recovery & Relaxation No Equipment
I'm glad I'm not the only one that don't like renegade rows. Part of the problem is that my core isn't strong enough. I would have a hard time to do that move even without weights! (I could practice that! ). I will try the variation you're suggesting. If it doesn't work, I'll do regular rows, alternating rows or choose a workout that doesn't have them!

Caroline's non-cued workouts have grown on me too, for the same reason as you: I like going at my own pace and not trying to achieve a pre-established number of reps.

I previewed the Calves Included Lower Body Workout - Legs EPIC Endgame Day 11 workout and it lokks good even if it's a little longer than what I like to do. I'll try it sometimes. Those staggered squats look hard but they seem like a very functionnal movement, something we might do in our daily lives.
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in