Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-05, 08:23 AM  
missy

The Firm is the only workouts that

really seem to shape my body nicely the way I like it. No one really mentions them much anymore but does anyone else feel this way? I love Bss3 and Bss4.
I would love to hear others' experiences!
Old 11-26-05, 08:41 AM  
waterlily

I agree to an extent

I happen to agree with you ....to an extent. When I just started to lose weight, I did just cardio. Then, I was introduced to the Firm - BSS1,2 and 3, and it really shaped me up. But then, they began to do the same old routines over and over and my body hit a plauteau. I busted through this by using Cathe. She really toned me up and gave me more stamina.
waterlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 09:01 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

When I first started out, I used the Firm a lot and they really helped me build muscle and shape up. Since then, I have added multiple instructors and different strength workout styles. But, I always seem to go back to the the Firm when I "get serious" about building strength. Of course, I prefer the Crosstrainer era, but using the ones you prefer is what I would suggest to anyone.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 10:05 AM  
blue_hydrangea

I started my video weight training with The Firm. I think the ones I have are from the BSS1 series (Body Sculpt, Super Body Sculpt, Body Sculpt Blaster...). And like Waterlily, I discovered Cathe's weight training. I'm by no means a buff woman, but I found Cathe's to be the plateau-buster that I needed. I still love and have my Firm DVDs---they'll always have a special place in my collection.
blue_hydrangea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 10:06 AM  
Carol_is_fit

They're the ones that got me started, so they're my first love. For years nothing I tried was as effective for me, and most of it was downright boring. Then I was on a Cathe kick for a little over a year because through her workouts I discovered I can lift heavy and I loved how that looked on me. But her cardio really hurt me after a while so recently I've gone back to the Firm and when I do high impact cardio, I use my rebounder. Step has to be limited too and I find the Firm's step doesn't bother me as much - there isn't a lot of over the step and twisty-torquey stuff in there. Using the rebounder to modify high impact things has allowed me to keep doing cardo without sacrificing my knee joints. I like that I can modify my Firms very easily by going up on weights, but when I really want to take a couple of weeks and stress strength training, I go back to my favorite Cathe strength training workouts which are the Pyramids and the Slow & Heavy series. The Firm just has so much more variety than anyone else, and I need that. I get bored VERY easily.

Carol
Old 11-26-05, 10:18 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I started weight training with Volume I on Beta (shows you how long ago 'that' was ) Then I got into all the rest of the classics, the cross trainers, the tri-trainers, the BSS Series, etc. Unfortunately, I was never consistent enough to be able to report any major results (of course, by major results I mean looking like them!)

Same with Cathe. I tried all of her strength workouts along with all her cardio. Her cardio is now waaaay too high impact and intense for me (not sure if it's because of my age or my inconsistency/laziness). In any event, the Firm is great to go back to now because I can get both the cardio and the strength in one workout. It's not intense cardio or intense strength, but I think it's just fine. Since I'm not a 5-day-a-weeker anymore, I hate to have to choose between cardio and strength on the days I am motivated to work out. The Firm has it all. (And visiting the Firm last summer really motivated me to get back to it.)
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 10:34 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I haven't done my Firm workouts for a long time, but they were a staple of my workouts for many years. Like Laura, I prefere the Crosstrainer Era, or as I refer to it, the "middle-age" Firms: from the Tortoise/Hare to right before the Goodtimes era.

I had my best glute results with the Firm (maybe I should get them out again for that reason alone!), and I love the way they combine cardio and weights without being too choreographed. The music is usually motivating as well. Maybe not "party in the box" material as such, but definitely not boring, and great for those of us with exercise ADD! Like Carol, I get bored very quickly and need lots of variety most times. The Firm really seemed to give that to me.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 10:53 AM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

The FIRM gave me my first really good results. I remember seeing them in magazines for $49.95 each. I waited until they went retail.

I still do them occasionally but compound movements seem to bother me these days. I do have the TransFirmer set on my Christmas list, so we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll be a Firmie once again.

I still think Jayne Poteet is one of the most beautiful women ever. (Vol 6)
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 12:28 PM  
Tuvak

I'll add to this.

I have finally found or admited what works for me. Cathe upper body works really well for me. However for this Pear the Firm with light weights consistently gives me the best lower body results ever of all the things I try.

So now I do 2 Firms a week - One Cathe pre-mix upper body a week. Toss in Cardio's during the rest of the week. Believe it or not I'm getting great results with this plan even at 16 weeks pregnant.

My DH is constantly telling me my legs looked the best when I was Firming. Finally decided to listen since I became terrified of a blooming back side while pregnant. My current plan seems to be helping the situation. Many of my pants are actually fitting better in the butt and hips right now.
Tuvak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 01:03 PM  
mommyofone

Talking adding again

I did Complete Aerobis and Weight Training last night (not sure which bss it is) and even though I've done it plenty I still love it. I've been on an every other day FIRM rotation for about 2 weeks now and I have already experienced results. I started losing with FIRM and I have the Transfirmer on my Christmas list so I plan to get to my goal using Firms, even if not exclusively. Wonder when they'll come out with something else?......

Kristen
mommyofone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bss1, bss3, bss4, revisiting the firm