Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-23, 03:51 PM  
horusosiris

STS 2.0 Total Body Giant Sets

Total Body Giant Sets

Time: 51:14 minutes
Weights Cathe used – 10 lbs. to 65 lbs. (only hip thrust used a barbell at 65 lbs.)

3 Rounds
Round One -10 reps- bilateral exercises
Round Two -10 reps unilateral exercises
Round Three- 8 reps bilateral exercises

Exercises
Group One -10 reps
1. Squats
2. Chest Press
3. Overhead Press
4. Alternating Rear Lunges
5. Deadlifts
6. Bent Over Rows
7. Side to Side Lunges
8. Bicep Curls
9. Lying Tricep Extensions
10. Hip Thrust

Group Two – 10 reps - unilateral
1.Elevated Lunges
2. Alternating Single Arm Chest Press
3. Alternating Single Arm Overhead Press
4. Single Leg Rear Lunges
5. Single Leg Deadlifts
6. Kneeling One Arm Row
7. Single Leg Side Lunges
8. Single Arm Bicep Curls
9. Single Arm Lying Tricep Extensions
10.Single Leg Hip Thrust

Group 3- same exercises as Group 1but 8 reps

Cool Down (Cathe states that this is an abbreviated cooldown and a longer stretch is on the stretch DVDs)

Music- non descript, not intrusive. I could barely notice it. The next time I will do it with the music off option.

Set- The set was a relaxing beach scene.

Outfits- I liked the style and color combinations.

Packaging- the packing of this series is really nice! It comes in a round zippered DVD case with Cathe in the forefront.

Impressions- I enjoyed the workout. I felt worked but not wiped out. I matched Cathe’s weights on all of the exercises The exercises were paced nicely (even the squats).
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-23, 06:43 PM  
Tanja

Thank you!!!!
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-23, 07:52 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks! I've tagged the thread
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-23, 07:57 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review, horusosiris! This sounds like a great, solid workout. Can't wait to try it.
Old 05-24-23, 08:51 PM  
jordan

I received my DVDs today . I can't wait to look them over and I hope I like them. Thank you for starting this thread.

I saw a comment elsewhere about the case and I agree that it is very nice. I remember seeing the picture but it is nicer than I expected.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-23, 06:39 AM  
Mickey12

Jordan, I agree about the case. I wasn't happy when she first showed it but after receiving it and seeing it in person, it's better than I thought. Although I still like the old style multiple case holders she used to use.

Anyway, I did this workout this morning and I really liked it. The music was just for background and was pleasant, but as others have said, I really didn't notice it much. I liked the format too, since I don't really enjoy working a body part to pure exhaustion and this one moved from lower to upper back and forth. I substituted the deadlifts for sumo squats since my low back doesn't like deadlifts and I only did two sets of the hip thrusts for the same reason. I liked the length at around 51 minutes. Good stuff.
Old 05-27-23, 05:00 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I've also done TB Giant Sets. It was tough, probably a bit because I don't preview so I was scrambling for the weights I wanted to use between exercises. I did enjoy it and liked that she varied the exercises in each of the groups.

I noticed that my heart rate stayed up higher than it usually does in weight training. Cathe mentioned that these workouts have a cardio effect, but she's said that in other workouts and it hasn't been the case for me. It was the case in this workout and in Supersets.

I wish Cathe provided options for deadlifts, as some of us can't do them---not because we aren't flexible or strong or whatever, but because they aren't recommended for folks with spinal or back issues. I didn't do the "one legged" hip thrusts and also didn't use as heavy a weight as the crew did.

Kim, did you mean that you did sumo squats instead of the deadlifts? That's a good idea as a substitute. A floor option would have been nice to see as well.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-23, 08:33 AM  
Mickey12

Cataddict, yes I did sumo squats I stop the deadlifts. I don’t think they necessarily work the same muscles as deadlifts but I just wanted to do a lower body exercise that doesn’t exacerbate my low back.
Old 05-28-23, 02:17 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Thumbs up This one's a winner! and the perfect number of deadlifts

Just finished this workout and I am obsessed with it. I am still shaking from lifting heavier & slower. Whew!

I think it was the perfect balance between upper & lower body exercises (for a total body workout I prefer an even split instead of 70% upper, 30% lower for example).

And the deadlifts were perfect. Doing 10 heavy, slow straight-legged deadlifts, then coming back later for one-legged DL made the final set of 8 reps tough but it felt very effective, balancing out the quad moves.

It's the first time I've been able to lift at the same pace as Cathe, although I'm 5" taller.

I used my heaviest dumbbells and just asked DH whether we can get some heavier ones, LOL.

This one's a keeper, for sure.
Old 05-29-23, 10:29 AM  
prettyinpink

I enjoyed this workout. I matched Cathe’s weights for everything but biceps curls, and reps were right on for me for the upper body. So much so that if I did more than one rotation of STS 2.0, I’d probably need to pause more to up the reps, or finally give in to purchasing the micro-load plates or gloves.

I could have gone significantly heavier for rows and for all lower body. But then I would have been pausing after most of the lower body exercises to get my breath and have enough strength for the next set, and not doing the Giant Sets without a break. I would have also needed to pause simply to adjust weights, as my dumbbells for over 30# are adjustable. I made one change because I didn’t want to get out the barbell: I did one-legged hip thrusts with a dumbbell for all three giant sets, and just paused to complete 12-15 on each side.

So for me this workout is in between strength and metabolic, but maybe a little closer to the latter. I do look forward to see if I will increase my cardio capacity over the rotation so that I can go a little heavier while still maintaining the pace of the workout. The reps are at a good pace, but the lack of breaks limits the weight.
But I thought it was fun; I enjoyed being able to play my own music, and the switch from 10 reps to unilateral and then to 8 reps was mentally just right.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe sts 2.0, cathe sts 2.0 giant sets, sts 2.0, sts 2.0 reviews