Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-23, 06:07 AM  
sherry7899

I tried a bunch of instructors and got really frustrated. The first instructors I clicked with were the Yoga Zone and Sara Ivanhoe dvds.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-23, 07:38 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Jane Adams' Gentle Yoga or Yoga for Beginners. 7 or 8 practices on each DVD, filmed outside. Very nice!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-23, 08:51 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Depending on what I'm in the mood for, I either like Dean Pohlman's (Man Flow Yoga) or Jane Adams.

Dean has a YouTube channel, but his DVDs are also available on Amazon. His practices are athletic, but there are beginner ones, as well. He is sometimes shirtless, lol.

Jane is gentle and her lying practices are the best for relaxation and overall stretching. Her yoga are some of Amazon's best sellers!

I came to both of these instructors rather late in life.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-23, 09:21 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I'm similar to you in that I've never done much yoga in the past and have always gravitated to cardio & strength workouts. I would throw in yoga workouts every now and then, but nothing consistent. I've found in the past couple of years I like mobility workouts more than yoga workouts. I especially like Movement Parallels Life on YT. He encourages you to explore movement; it's not rigid at all...do what works for you. And I agree, as I'm getting older I find I need more stretching/mobility work to help with recovery.
I'm finding the same thing! Thanks so much for the Movement parallel's life suggestion.

Took a local class for a while to get started rebuilding my functional fitness, now I'm exploring on my own. The class I took has the approach of helping people become strong enough to get down on the floor and get back up again, and that sort of practical, functional fitness. Most of the students were a good bit older than me, but we all struggled to stand on one leg. I've recently been trying out zero drop shoes and toe separators, working to improve strength and flexibility from head to toe. The toe work? Amazing! A few months ago I could scarcely lift my big toes on their own, now I'm doing all sorts of stuff.

If you want some flexible strength inspiration, take a look at the Movement by David YT channel. He's clearly having some fun with it.
Old 04-20-23, 10:40 AM  
Hsim

Honestly, except for an add on cooldown stretch, I really only like yoga that makes me feel worked out. I try to do some kind of bodyweight workout once a week - could be yoga, fusion, stretch, barre or pilates.
Some Yoga DVDs that I like are Kevin Love Yoga for flexibility, Ellen Barrett Yogini, Denise Austen Hot Body Yoga (weights segment), Exhale Core Fusion Yoga, Patrick Goudeau Presents Release w Erin Kirk, Gwen Lawrence Yoga for Fitness, and Xen Strength - Danielle Diamond and Bob Harper Yoga for the Warrior.
If you want fusion workouts you can try Barlates with Linda Woolridge - Stretch Yoga Fusion. There are 4 workouts on this DVD. Yoga Fusion Flow and Yoga Fusion Body Blast are really challenging.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 01:53 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
Honestly, except for an add on cooldown stretch, I really only like yoga that makes me feel worked out. I try to do some kind of bodyweight workout once a week - could be yoga, fusion, stretch, barre or pilates.
There is a huge variety of yoga out there & you can definitely get a workout from vinyasa yoga! I did a lot of vinyasa several years ago.

You can also chose more of a recovery style that focuses on stretching, joint mobility, & stress relief like yin or restorative or something in between the two like Hatha. I get my cardio and strength from my other workouts. My yoga is more recovery focused so I prefer Hatha or yin. I do yoga pretty much daily after my cardio and strength, sometimes it’s only 10 or 15 min. YouTube has a huge variety of short practices which are a great place to start.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 02:40 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
You are sweet Sherry - I didn't mention my own channel because my practices are pretty relaxed. Some are stretchy or even a bit strength-based, but I'm not sure they would leave one feeling "worked out."

ETA: Just realized the original mention was from Pam - thank you Pam! And you brought up local (to me) instructor Kate Vantucci. I like Kate because she's goofy like me, and I enjoy her less intense flows, but she definitely has videos that would fit the definition of leaving one feeling worked out!
The relaxed ones are my favorite.

Tags
beginner yoga, yoga, yoga for beginners