Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-23, 10:41 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
Gentle Yoga with Jane Adams. I start my day with ]the lying down full body stretch and it keeps me very flexible strong and nicer to my family . I am 73 and have very good flexibility[U] and I credit yoga for that.
I really like this dvd. I used to use it several times a week.

These days, I stretch a lot with Yoga with Joelle, and I regularly do stretching with Kaleigh Cohen (YouTube). I’m less concerned adhering to traditional yoga and more interested in flexibility and mobility, in whatever form. I do some sort of stretching every day.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-23, 12:41 PM  
wendug

I'm similar to you in that I've never done much yoga in the past and have always gravitated to cardio & strength workouts. I would throw in yoga workouts every now and then, but nothing consistent. I've found in the past couple of years I like mobility workouts more than yoga workouts. I especially like Movement Parallels Life on YT. He encourages you to explore movement; it's not rigid at all...do what works for you. And I agree, as I'm getting older I find I need more stretching/mobility work to help with recovery.
Old 04-19-23, 02:57 PM  
Karla25

I like the shorter yoga workouts after doing weights or other workouts. My favorites are Jason Crandall, Jane Adams, Yoga for Flexibility with Kevin Love, and Madeleine Lewis. Paul Grilley has a fabulous yin yoga which is easy and relaxing. Travis Eliot has several easy yin yoga classes on YouTube.

Yoga Zone for Flexibility

Jason Crandall

Travis Eliot
Old 04-19-23, 03:11 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Yay you, Acey! I love to hear people trying yoga for the first time.

There are so many different styles/types of yoga out there. However, if you are looking to feel more "worked out," it sounds like you might want a more athletic form of yoga. Personally I love Rodney Yee's Yoga Conditioning for Athletes (and his AM Yoga for Your Week), and those leave me feeling nicely stretched but not really that "worked out" feeling.

But I have tried A TON of yoga instructors both on DVD and on YT, and I'm happy to brainstorm with you further if you want to PM me.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-23, 05:31 PM  
geojill

I got so much mileage out of Yoga with Kassandra’s Morning Yoga Movement. It’s about 10-12 minutes each day and I repeated that program every month for probably a year and still revisit those practices when I am short on time.
Old 04-19-23, 06:18 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I haven’t done dvds for ages so I can’t recommend many. But I do have digital copies of Jessica Smith’s yoga and stretch dvds. They are good, not purist yoga but accessible, effective, and easy to follow.

I love the wonderful variety of yoga on YouTube, so many good channels to chose from. I also like Yoga with Adrienne. Here are a few other faves:
~Mindful Yoga with YogiBethC - our very own VFer toaster
~Yoga with Joelle
~Yoga with Kassandra
~SarahBeth Yoga
~Yoga Ranger
~Five Parks Yoga
~Kate Vantucci Yoga
I also like Jessica Smith yoga, as it is easy for me to follow. From you tube, I like Yoga with Kassandra and Beth’s yoga channel.
Old 04-19-23, 06:30 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

There are some great suggestions here! I would add that while Ellen Barrett's Yogini isn't pure yoga but more a fusion flow, it's absolutely wonderful dynamic movement that would be totally appropriate for someone new to yoga and it gets the job done.

For really athletic practices, and I do mean STRONG, I love Sunseekayoga on YouTube, and Kaylie Daniels is awesome too. Both have lots of offerings though I can't speak for how someone newer to yoga would feel about them.

Keep us posted on your journey!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-23, 07:59 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I also like Jessica Smith yoga, as it is easy for me to follow. From you tube, I like Yoga with Kassandra and Beth’s yoga channel.
You are sweet Sherry - I didn't mention my own channel because my practices are pretty relaxed. Some are stretchy or even a bit strength-based, but I'm not sure they would leave one feeling "worked out."

ETA: Just realized the original mention was from Pam - thank you Pam! And you brought up local (to me) instructor Kate Vantucci. I like Kate because she's goofy like me, and I enjoy her less intense flows, but she definitely has videos that would fit the definition of leaving one feeling worked out!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-23, 09:03 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I have not been able to find much yoga at all that I enjoy, but I will add DDP Yoga to this list, just for something a little out of the mainstream and intended for people new to yoga. Also, I really enjoy Buti Yoga, but I don't know if it's the type of yoga you are looking for. It's more "dynamic", I guess you would say. I call it "dancing yoga" to people who haven't heard of it, lol.
Old 04-19-23, 10:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey View Post
I bought tons of yoga videos over the years planning to do *something*, but never opened them. I have all the usual suspects.

Which types of yoga, or which instructors, would you recommend I start out with as someone who has always been a cardio/weights junkie and is definitely needing something simple to start out with but that will make me feel worked out?
what do you already own?

oddly i got into Yoga by doing yoga workouts done by instructors who were known for regular workouts. Specifically, Karen Voight and Debbie Siebers. They incorporated yoga with their other workouts. with Karen, it was her Streamline Fitness that is more of a fusion workout. Debbie's SS and Si6 has yoga as the cooldown.

From there, my first "actual" yoga workouts were with Rodney Yee and Alan Finger. I started out with Rodney's Upper Body Yoga and Abs Yoga. from there, i bought more Rodney workouts. I purchased Alan Finger's Conditioning and Stress Release based on rave reviews. I also did Kathy Smith's yoga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I started out with Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes, the Yoga Zones
Similar experience as Bubbles.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner yoga, yoga, yoga for beginners