Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-23, 10:08 AM  
TinaT

History of the Firm

A question was asking on another thread as to why did Anna have to sell the Firm. So I thought a new thread was in order. I would appreciate help filling in the blanks and making sure of accuracy from those who have a been around long enough to remember please. (I'm one of them, but I still want to be accurate).

The general details are that there was a lawsuit brought on by a couple of her staff in regards to monetary rights with the Firm. I believe...please correct me someone... Anna lost. On top of legal fees and loosing, ect. she had to sell the Firm. Along with all her workouts she had created, not just the name/brand.

Anna then produced the original Fitprimes that show cased instructors like Tracie Long and Susan Harris to name only two. There were others.

Then came WHFN (Women's Health and Fitness Network) that included her sister and ex-husband (I believe), in helping produce the Kickbutt/Fitprime 12 dvd series of workouts.

By now GAIAM owned the Firm and talks took place with them and Anna in regards to her regaining the rights back to her original Firms. Because she was able to regain the rights to her work, we now have the remastered Firms from Fitness Favorites.

Those are the bullet points with much more detail scattered throughout. Hope this has brought clarity and understanding to anyone who is curious.

ETA: Anna did not loose the case. But legal costs were why she had to sell the Firm.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 11:59 AM  
fatkat555

I could be wrong, but I don’t think she lost? It was the cost of litigation that made the Bensons and Anna’s husband (Mark Hendrickson) sell the rights to the name. I could be totally wrong on this. If the plaintiff had won, he’d be collecting from any sales of the original work and I don’t believe this is the case. FitnessFavorites was hers, but then run by her child after she passed.

I should add that this was the epitome of a frivolous lawsuit. How it changed the Firm’s impact nationwide is immeasurable. I think the Firm was poised to carve out a niche nationally. Look at Les Mills Bodypump and their success currently. Anna’s work (and I could be wrong) preceded Les Mills and some even believed at the time that Les Mills was a knockoff of what the Firm started.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 12:13 PM  
TinaT

Fatkat ~ you are absolutely right. Reading what you wrote brought it all back. Thank you for the correction. I will make an edit to my original post.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 12:58 PM  
kat999

There was also the era in between Anna and Gaiam when the workout series was owned by GoodTimes, and that's when we got the Fanny Lifter and whatnot. Some instructors and backgrounders from videos went with the FitPrime/WHFN route while others stuck with GT and then Gaiam. There's also the whole history of the actual physical studio, too, which was technically separate from the video series.

I personally still do/collect/love FIRM workouts from every single era and don't make as much of a distinction, because even though some of the later what we call "pink" FIRMs were not designed by Anna, they still use all of Anna's terminology, often very similar tools, and have the same scripted delivery that matches moves to the music. I also like a LOT of the pink-era instructors and some of them are my absolute favorites, including Alison, Emily, and Rebekah. Stephanie Huckabee and Pam Cautheen even came back for the Zip trainer era, which was the IIRC the very last set of FIRM releases. The last few active FIRM instructors also did the BeMAX series, which I really enjoyed and wish had physical releases instead of just being available on streaming on a service I don't really like otherwise.

As one example of Anna's legacy, I always appreciated that the FIRM differentiated between a lunge and a dip. I really loathe when I'm doing a different but similar style of workout (Jari Love is guilty of this; a lot of her stuff is very FIRM/Les Mills-y) and they call out "LUNGE!" and then do what I think of as a dip instead. The word "lunge" implies forward momentum. If you want to call it a reverse lunge, fine, but calling it a dip helps me understand that it's dipping your knee toward the floor rather than lunging forward.
Old 01-21-23, 01:23 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

What is the difference between Fitprime and Kickbutt? I know that some were produced as a formal set, while others seemed to be filmed in Anna's home. If anyone can point me to a list, I'd appreciate it. I also agree about the terminology regarding lunges and dips. The Firm also brought stepping up onto a tall platform into common use.
Old 01-21-23, 01:25 PM  
carly

Case Appeals lists legal argument of Plaintiff vs Meridian Films:

https://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion...d/001359.U.pdf

First few paragraphs are interesting to read about the multi camera production.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 01:36 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
What is the difference between Fitprime and Kickbutt? I know that some were produced as a formal set, while others seemed to be filmed in Anna's home. If anyone can point me to a list, I'd appreciate it. I also agree about the terminology regarding lunges and dips. The Firm also brought stepping up onto a tall platform into common use.
As TinaT stated:

"Anna then produced the original Fitprimes that show cased instructors like Tracie Long and Susan Harris to name only two. There were others.

Then came WHFN (Women's Health and Fitness Network) that included her sister and ex-husband (I believe), in helping produce the Kickbutt/Fitprime 12 dvd series of workouts. "

The original FitPrimes were lower quality "think film it yourself" videos. They were actually harder and longer than the professional productions that came later.

https://www.fitnessfavorites.com/category-s/150.htm

The Fitprime/Kickbutt's were basically edited routines from the originals with different instructors in a professional production. Then I think there were a few new workouts that weren't produced in the original set.

https://www.fitnessfavorites.com/category-s/134.htm

I always thought the Kickbutts were a little harder than the FitPrimes.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 02:20 PM  
Mrsprincess07

Thank you for taking the time! I turned 40 this year, so my first exposure to them was Firm’s BSS2. I bought that when I was in college and just moved into my first apartment. I remember loving the lifting but hating the cardio-only workouts except for the kickboxing moves. The lifting reminded me of the weight lifting classes from high school and I took kickboxing classes when I was 15. I had no money to join a gym for those classes but I could afford the $90ish over monthly installments. It was around that time I found Leslie Sansone, about 18 months later when her WATP with Weighted Balls was at Best Buy. Again, my poor rush could afford that and walking the neighborhood.

I will always have a soft spot for Firm. My favorite instructor is Tracie Long and I adore her to this day. I had the privilege of chatting with her privately before and she’s the one that planted the seeds in my mind that I was too young to have the issues that I did, and that was 3-3.5 years ago. I just wish the Pinks had a slower pace so that you could focus less on cardio and more on heavier weights. Hi Def Sculpt is my favorite but I’d still like a slightly slower pace. That’s when I turned to Cathe back in early 2008 after getting married bc I wanted more gym style workouts and she had recently released at that point- GYM STYLE/hardcore series. I loved lifting heavier but I relied heavily on her premixes bc 60+ minutes, for my body, wasn’t necessary; I always put muscle on quickly and did so with shorter workouts.

I am very grateful for the creation of The Firm. I’m also glad the comparison to Les Mills was made so I can use what I own vs buying something new. But! I have something to look at if I want to branch out. I wish things would have worked out differently. I know 10-15 yrs ago The Firm, in some circles, was viewed as gimmicky and not worthy to be in the same category as other instructors/brands. I was apart of Sparkpeople.com way back when and Firm was often mocked, Leslie too. But I digress.

All of this to say, thanks for the background.
Mrsprincess07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 03:50 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
I always thought the Kickbutts were a little harder than the FitPrimes.
Yes, the Kickbutts are a little faster pace with a little bit more difficult moves. If you have them on DVD each one has a pie chart that shows what percentage of the workout is what modality: sculpting, cardio, pilates, and yoga, IIRC. The FPs have more time spent on pilates and yoga, while the KBs have more time spent on sculpting and cardio.

Also, Princess, my favorite of the pink FIRMs is also Hi-Def Sculpt. It feels the most like an older FIRM, indeed.
Old 01-21-23, 08:38 PM  
fatkat555

For so long I was a Firm/Anna purist snob and would only buy Anna’s direct products like classic Firm, FitPrime, WHFN FitPrime and Kickbutt. In the past few years, however, I was able to pick up the post Anna workouts for a steal on EBay and I’m happy I did. So funny how our perceptions change. I also have all Tracie Long dvds post Firm as well, but never did the BeMax ones. Speaking of Tracie Long, has anyone tried this YouTube short workout of hers? My sister loves it.

https://youtu.be/jS_BrLAk0uY

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anna benson, firm, firm history, fitprime, kickbutt, the firm, whfn