Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-22, 09:37 PM  
Vantreesta

I have a gym in our basement. I actually had more space before we finished it but I absolutely love my walls: two are dark orange, one is chocolate brown and one is olive green, my favorite colors! My TV is mounted on the wall and a coffee table below it holds my VCR and DVD player and I can set my laptop on it to connect to my TV for YouTube or downloaded workouts. I wish we had made the wall out farther and hubby said I could contact the contractor to see what it would cost to move the wall out but I just looked at him and said we both know if I have more space I will just buy more equipment and end up with the same amount of usable floor space! Yep. I'm like a goldfish, I grow to fill my space. The utility room is behind the gym and my bike is set up on a trainer in there bc it won't fit in the gym. One corner has my weight stack machine, one has the treadmill, one has a small rower and the last one has dumbbells, kettlebells and a bun and thigh machine with the elliptical and stereo btwn that and the door. I need to pull as many things out as I can and try to reorganize it. My rebounder and plyo box are in the main part of the basement, which apparently is unacceptable despite the fact that hubby is hardly ever in the basement. (We really need an eye-rolling emoji!)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-22, 12:52 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Sigh....I used to have a dedicated workout room. We are designing a new house to build on our farm next year and I will have a workout room again. In the meantime, I have a space almost exactly the size of my yoga mat in my home office...and no tv or dvd player. I do all workouts streaming on my phone. I'm suffering but making due!
Old 12-24-22, 03:09 PM  
Leonana

Sheepla, I was using my phone for workouts, but just treated myself to a Samsung tablet for Christmas. It's a 10.5 inch screen so quite a bit bigger.
Old 12-25-22, 08:42 AM  
buffmama

I recently cleaned out my exercise room. DVDs were in shelving discarded from other uses, floor space was taken up by weights and my mat never left the floor. Buffboy had a bookshelf he no longer wanted and I emptied 5 other DVD holders, consolidating DVDs to that bookshelf, double stacked. The rug I had was cumbersome due to size and I got a new rug that was bigger. (Side note: puzzle mats under rugs will disintegrate). DBs went under the couch, freeing up floor space. I got a woven basket from Ikea to hold small equipment and plastic bins to go in the space under the bookshelves to maximize storage. The space now looks tidy and inviting. Total cost: around $200. Also, do underestimate a paint job - I have lime walls and still love it.
Old 12-25-22, 10:08 AM  
Vantreesta

Buff, I didn't know puzzle mats will disintegrate under a rug. I guess I should check mine. They've been down since 2014.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 12-25-22, 10:22 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Buff, I didn't know puzzle mats will disintegrate under a rug. I guess I should check mine. They've been down since 2014.
I didn't know either and was surprised I hadn't read about here. I the mats under both the pad and rug and it broke into little pieces with the top layer shredded. It stained the underside of the rug + pad. I ditched it and sadly didn't replacing it.
Old 12-25-22, 11:06 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I didn't know either and was surprised I hadn't read about here. I the mats under both the pad and rug and it broke into little pieces with the top layer shredded. It stained the underside of the rug + pad. I ditched it and sadly didn't replacing it.
Wow! I wonder if the puzzle mat brand makes a difference. There's no pad over mine, just a room size carpet remnant. I'll have to look. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 01-01-23, 08:45 AM  
cyana

Thanks to everyone who posted - as the OP, I didn't intentionally desert the thread, but had a lot of year end stuff to do at work last week.

I enjoy hearing what colors people paint their dedicated work-out spaces. I've always wondered what color(s) I'd actually go with if I had my own space. I'm really terrible at choosing paint colors! I'm one of those people who comes home with the little sample color paint pots, paints four different colors on the wall and dislikes them all.

My best hand-me-down is an old Surface that DS gave me several years ago, along with the cords to hook it up to the TV either in my bedroom or in the den. It makes such a difference to have my work-outs on a larger screen, so that's a happy spot in my small space.

Happy New Year and happy fitness ventures to all.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 12:14 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

My exercise space is my bedroom and it isn't as big as I would like. I thought about purchasing an exercise equipment cart as some have mentioned, but ended up just purchasing a 4 cube "shelf" (2 by 2) and added a couple of baskets for my most important exercise equipment, much like Jessica Valant has in her newer videos. I wish I had bought a 3 by 2 cube and may still end up doing that.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 02:27 PM  
warriorprincess

Mine is lavendar, with a faux pattern. I painted the ceiling lavendar too. One entire wall is a mirror, and the other side of the room has mirrored closet doors. I've draped the windows with sari's that I got when I was in India. It is my happy place. As soon as I enter the room, I feel content.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meditation space, work-out space, workout rooms, workout space, yoga space